Everything is a disaster

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so close to quitting this hobby and I have only been in it for a little over 8 months.

Spent 9k so far to have some “easy” beginner corals die on me. I have an advanced skimmer, a reef mat running 24/7, 2 Wavemakers with Dual output, 2 red sea led, and 90 gallons of water. I Got my first corals after 1.5 months (pocillopora, stylophora, montipora, candy cane, green mushroom, Duncan). They were showing very good colors, was super happy and everything was just good. I also got a blue tang, a yellow goby and a pistol shrimp, 2 expensive clownfish (the one that cost 183 USD jumped out of the tank one day), and a butterfly fish (which just disappeared one day). Got ich at some point, which killed all my fish except the goby and clown, and I had a QT up for 50 days which luckily eradicated ich I think (?) with the help of some super nice members on this forum (thank you so much).

since all my fish was gone from the aquarium, a lot of weird-looking creatures multiplied in my tank. I got 3 corals more (1 more montipora, a rare rainbow chalice, and one more expensive montipora). one day my montipora had a big chunk bitten off. I was confused, all the other corals were doing good and having some growth. I had made sure to dip all my corals when I got them so surely nothing could have come into the tank? wrong, I had montipora eating nudibranchs, which is a death sentence for the coral. I tried scrapping it twice a week, but nothing seemed to help. In the meantime, I got another clownfish as I felt bad for my clown to be alone, a fox face rabbitfish, and a regal angelfish. I finished my QT and fallow period at that time. I read online that a six-line wrasse will help against the nudibranchs so I got one of them as well. on delivery day I got 2 clownfish instead of the one I ordered. they go crazy on each other and I have to separate them and sell one of them.

luckily my new batch of fish is thriving and to this day, none of them has died all of them are feeding well and are nice to each other. I feed them frozen Mysis, frozen Artemia dipped in vitamin dip, frenzy pellets, formula 2 and 1 pellets, AF pellets m and s, AF algae pellets, algae sheets daily, easy masstick, and live black worms (they love that, especially the regal angel).

my montipora both ended up dying so I had to get some new corals that cannot be eaten by my nudibranchs. I get 2 cleaner shrimp, 6 different montipora worth 700 USD, and a euphyllia holy grail worth 220 USD, and they get delivered in October. on arrival they have all lost their colors, one of them has already white tips on delivery, and surprise, they all die shortly after in my tank except for my euphoria. I understand that was a very dumb move on my part, and that I should not have gotten them so early. this is when things went downhill. suddenly on my rainbow crush chalice, a white spot appears. it gets bigger and now my Duncan is completely retracted. my euphyllia is still happy, but every other coral is sad. this goes on for a while, and my chalice ends up shrinking to half its size, the Duncan ends up getting good again, the pocillopora and stylophora die, my mushroom gets 2x bigger and spreads (only coral that loves my aquarium), the euphyllia gets smaller and smaller and I'm pretty sure it is dead now. my candy cane also melts and dies. what happened? all my parameters were good? I do an ICP test
1672012788597.png

aluminum is 10x higher than recommended and zinc is 5x higher as well. where does it come from? to this day I still don't know, but I have done a lot of water changes since. I now only have 2 corals left, a Duncan which looks like it has been through a war zone but it looks happy today and a mushroom which has never felt a thing. 2 weeks ago I bought some lordhowenis corals which are said to be easy. it looks good today. I also bought some zoanthids corals. half my them are out and the other half is retracted. I got a new montipora which is looking okay, polyps are not completely out and a slight white area is forming on the bottom of it. my new euphyllia torch toxic green/black is looking super happy with widely expelled polyps. last but not least I also got a clam which died after 24 hours. :)

I have spent so much money on this and kept parameters good for the last 3 but corals are furious for some reason. back in the start when I did not have as much control of parameters, and where I did not keep them as stable my corals were 100x happier. I'm so close to quitting and going full-on FOWLR.

this was my rant, I just had to get it out there. Merry Christmas and I hope your corals are doing much better than mine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so close to quitting this hobby and I have only been in it for a little over 8 months.

Spent 9k so far to have some “easy” beginner corals die on me. I have an advanced skimmer, a reef mat running 24/7, 2 Wavemakers with Dual output, 2 red sea led, and 90 gallons of water. I Got my first corals after 1.5 months (pocillopora, stylophora, montipora, candy cane, green mushroom, Duncan). They were showing very good colors, was super happy and everything was just good. I also got a blue tang, a yellow goby and a pistol shrimp, 2 expensive clownfish (the one that cost 183 USD jumped out of the tank one day), and a butterfly fish (which just disappeared one day). Got ich at some point, which killed all my fish except the goby and clown, and I had a QT up for 50 days which luckily eradicated ich I think (?) with the help of some super nice members on this forum (thank you so much).

since all my fish was gone from the aquarium, a lot of weird-looking creatures multiplied in my tank. I got 3 corals more (1 more montipora, a rare rainbow chalice, and one more expensive montipora). one day my montipora had a big chunk bitten off. I was confused, all the other corals were doing good and having some growth. I had made sure to dip all my corals when I got them so surely nothing could have come into the tank? wrong, I had montipora eating nudibranchs, which is a death sentence for the coral. I tried scrapping it twice a week, but nothing seemed to help. In the meantime, I got another clownfish as I felt bad for my clown to be alone, a fox face rabbitfish, and a regal angelfish. I finished my QT and fallow period at that time. I read online that a six-line wrasse will help against the nudibranchs so I got one of them as well. on delivery day I got 2 clownfish instead of the one I ordered. they go crazy on each other and I have to separate them and sell one of them.

luckily my new batch of fish is thriving and to this day, none of them has died all of them are feeding well and are nice to each other. I feed them frozen Mysis, frozen Artemia dipped in vitamin dip, frenzy pellets, formula 2 and 1 pellets, AF pellets m and s, AF algae pellets, algae sheets daily, easy masstick, and live black worms (they love that, especially the regal angel).

my montipora both ended up dying so I had to get some new corals that cannot be eaten by my nudibranchs. I get 2 cleaner shrimp, 6 different montipora worth 700 USD, and a euphyllia holy grail worth 220 USD, and they get delivered in October. on arrival they have all lost their colors, one of them has already white tips on delivery, and surprise, they all die shortly after in my tank except for my euphoria. I understand that was a very dumb move on my part, and that I should not have gotten them so early. this is when things went downhill. suddenly on my rainbow crush chalice, a white spot appears. it gets bigger and now my Duncan is completely retracted. my euphyllia is still happy, but every other coral is sad. this goes on for a while, and my chalice ends up shrinking to half its size, the Duncan ends up getting good again, the pocillopora and stylophora die, my mushroom gets 2x bigger and spreads (only coral that loves my aquarium), the euphyllia gets smaller and smaller and I'm pretty sure it is dead now. my candy cane also melts and dies. what happened? all my parameters were good? I do an ICP test
1672012788597.png

aluminum is 10x higher than recommended and zinc is 5x higher as well. where does it come from? to this day I still don't know, but I have done a lot of water changes since. I now only have 2 corals left, a Duncan which looks like it has been through a war zone but it looks happy today and a mushroom which has never felt a thing. 2 weeks ago I bought some lordhowenis corals which are said to be easy. it looks good today. I also bought some zoanthids corals. half my them are out and the other half is retracted. I got a new montipora which is looking okay, polyps are not completely out and a slight white area is forming on the bottom of it. my new euphyllia torch toxic green/black is looking super happy with widely expelled polyps. last but not least I also got a clam which died after 24 hours. :)

I have spent so much money on this and kept parameters good for the last 3 but corals are furious for some reason. back in the start when I did not have as much control of parameters, and where I did not keep them as stable my corals were 100x happier. I'm so close to quitting and going full-on FOWLR.

this was my rant, I just had to get it out there. Merry Christmas and I hope your corals are doing much better than mine.
Unfortunately it’s a bit late for me (it’s midnight currently) so I can’t really get a decent reply however I can bump this up for other coral geeks to reply :)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask one question and I don't mean insult here. What's the train of thought buying so many corals at once? Wouldn't you want to know if one could make it before buying 6 and then 2 euphyllia? I'd be very wary of what dropping 8 stony corals into my tank would do to current stability and would want to be on top of my tank and ready to meet the shift/need that will occur from that (CA, alk, mg, n+p) . I may not know what im talking about here but that's nothing new either lol.

I'm sorry for the hardship... Gotta be frustrating... Not trying to add to it

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months in is usually the tipping point for the ones who leave the hobby.
Adding any corals before your system is rock stable is a gamble at best, maybe softies at 1.5 months but even Xenia can melt without the micro-fauna backbone that supports Coral.
I can see your numbers look good to me. Those two metals can be added to city water as part of their conditioning. Chorine regularly shows up as well. Perhaps some of these enter your system with RO top off. If present, mop them up with Metasorb or similar binder, if chlorine is found, remove with chlorine block stage on.

You’ve come too far to look back, let’s look forward to identifying the causes and adding this to our experience.
You show the ICP, but that’s a point in time.
Can you add what flux’s you allow in each parameter?
Ick and fallow periods usually result in lower populations of good algaes and bacterias which invisibly are an energy source for corals. Food processing of the fish stops, so those nutrients requiring to sustain/increase the micro-fauna are not available.
But it will recover fast.

I have big concerns that a reef mat, in early systems, is stripping what we need in our waters in the first year or two.
I have further concerns with water changes, in the end, again, those nutrients are gone.

A new system needs nothing but a skimmer at start, we want the good/bad algae and bacteria to war out with each other. The stabler the water, the faster good outcompetes bad.
Corals love to consume both nitrate directly, and phosphate consume by algaes.

Let’s rule out water chemistry stability. Have parameters remained virtually unchanged for say 4 months? 4D0A0926-43DB-4E23-A14E-AF99908988E7.jpeg

Last edited:

EZKLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if your tank was fully cycled. I've seen tanks that appear to be done and as soon as fish are added, they have a mini-cycle again. Would explain the quick deaths and the chasing of water quality. Not sure why the AL would get that high unless it was getting dosed in somehow unknowingly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

1672012788597.png

Starting with the salt - What brand are you using ?
Are you using RODI water or Tap water from the faucet ?
What test kits are you using?

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you went way too fast. The tank needs time to mature and for biodiversity to truly establish itself. You should be adding corals slowly and only one or two at a time. Start with an easy coral, make sure you have it dialed (3-4 weeks) then add a second.
Research, research, research. Make sure of compatibility with fish and corals. For instance, putting a Regal Angel in a tank with coral and a clam can present big challenges to an experienced reefer, and may overwhelm someone new.
Take the time to get a feel for your tank. Just my two cents.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank"-this is universal motto of many reefers.
I am guilty of a sin of trying to fix all my reefing problems fast myself.
After experimenting with small tanks I decided to have a 200 gal one and have all the corals and fish fast. It didn't work very well, costed lots of money, demise of some fish and many corals.I am at different point though and have 120 gal reef and 30 gal FOWLR and small frag tank.
BTW, there is nothing wrong with having FOWLR, I wouldn't call it quitting.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op I didn't mean to shame or anything. Just pointing to a possibility that maybe too much too soon is a thing (in some systems) and may simply be the culprit. If stability being key has any regard I'd consider that much at once destabilizing unless countered against consciously. Do NOT give up. You've got it with fish just gotta fig it out w corals and maybe without doing anything differently simply one at a time would work for your system

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyfilter or chemipure blue for those zinc and aluminum issues. I think those sometimes show up from (some) artificial bioblock subtrates?
This is where I’m leaning. Are you using marine pure blocks?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i think the biggest thing here is its wayyyy past time to pump the brakes. Sloooow down. I get it we all want a nice tank fast, but nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. I think your best option is to slow down, dont worry about chasing nunbers. Get on a regular water change schedule, feed the tank, and just focus on keeping things stable. Dont add anything, dont change anything, just let your tank find its balance. A LOT goes on in a tank that you cant see, or track or test for, ESPECIALLY when a tank is new. Different micro flora and fauna is growing and competing and populations are changing and trying to come to some semblence of balance. And thats never going to happen if youre constantly adding things, and making changes. You can throw all the money in the world at a tank, but theres no magic solution in a bottle. Im just now getting into the hobby after a long time out and there is soooo much more tech available now than when i last had a tank...but you know what? Its all just tools. There is no substitute for stability and above all patience.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so close to quitting and going full-on FOWLR.
I think that this is excellent advice that more people should follow. FOWLR tanks are fantastic because you really can just focus on getting the fish you really want without worrying about having them munch on a three hundred dollar symphyllia colony, or fiddling with lighting and water parameters to provide optimal conditions for a stunning acro frag.

With a FOWLR, you can add macroalgae for life and colour. And a while after that, you can throw in some nearly-indestructible softies, like GSP, mushrooms, leathers, and Grube's gorgonian. I'm at the FOWLR+ stage myself now, and may try to go for a full reef experience in one of my tanks as they mature. But I'm happy with what I have -- the fish aren't sick or stressed, are fat and eating well, and have good colouration -- and there's no rush.

Last edited:

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that this is excellent advice that more people should follow. FOWLR tanks are fantastic because you really can just focus on getting the fish you really want without worrying about having them munch on a three hundred dollar symphyllia colony, or fiddling with lighting and water parameters to provide optimal conditions for a stunning acro frag.

With a FOWLR, you can add macroalgae for life and colour. And a while after that, you can throw in some nearly-indestructible softies, like GPS, mushrooms, leathers, and Grube's gorgonian. I'm at the FOWLR+ stage myself now, and may try to go for a full reef experience in one of my tanks as they mature. But I'm happy with what I have -- the fish aren't sick or stressed, are fat and eating well, and have good colouration -- and there's no rush.
This is a very good option. Great post and not a bad way to slow down and slide back in.

Having crazy SPS is great but often needs more time and effort.
Some systems never seem to get there to hold those higher end corals.

Softies generally are about 50x easier than sps.

Good post.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would start with some non aggressive soft corals like GSP and xenia. See if they do well. Once coralline starts growing in your system try some easy LPS. The key here is patience.

I’ve done the whole too much too soon thing. It never works out well in the end. I also used to chase numbers and sometimes I still do. I’m doing much better with that now than I did with previous builds.

I have two good sized xenia colonies, some mushrooms, a Kenya tree, two GSP frags, and some duncans. The duncans have two new polyps which are about as big as the original two polyps. I’m going to buy something like a trumpet coral within the next month or so and see how it’s doing over time before getting more.

You can still do a nice reef. I would try less expensive corals first. I would wait a year though before trying SPS of any kind or clams. Once coralline is growing everywhere your tank will be ready for SPS, anemones, and clams.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back