OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any white dots/spots/splotches on the clownfish that's now acting funny? Heavy breathing, rubbing, head twitching, staying out of the light, swimming into the flow of a powerhead?
No dots etc, heavier breathing, and sticking into the overflow. Is it possible for her to have swim bladder even though she isn't eating?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dots etc, heavier breathing, and sticking into the overflow. Is it possible for her to have swim bladder even though she isn't eating?

Entirely possible, as eating has nothing to do with a damaged swim bladder. But swim bladder is more of a condition, not a transmissible disease. So, I highly doubt both of your clowns could have a swim bladder issue at the same time.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely possible, as eating has nothing to do with a damaged swim bladder. But swim bladder is more of a condition, not a transmissible disease. So, I highly doubt both of your clowns could have a swim bladder issue at the same time.
This is the strangest thing I have seen, should I bring her back? maybe the pet store can help her recover better than I can.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3117.JPG

Whatever the hell happened to him, it is happening to her.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will whatever they have stay in my tank if i get new fish (both of them have not died in my main display)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will whatever they have stay in my tank if i get new fish (both of them have not died in my main display)

I'm so sorry about your female. Since we can't actually identify what's going on here, we have to assume that it can stay in the tank after they are gone. It may be prudent to run fallow after this and sterilize your QT.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry about your female. Since we can't actually identify what's going on here, we have to assume that it can stay in the tank after they are gone. It may be prudent to run fallow after this and sterilize your QT.

The female is still alive but I took her out as soon as I saw symptoms. The QT has new water, but Idk if it spread to her from my main display

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female is still alive but I took her out as soon as I saw symptoms. The QT has new water, but Idk if it spread to her from my main display

How is she doing in new tank/new water?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same, it does not look good. It is so frustrating that I have no clue what is happening to them

it's ruff for sure, but we just don't know all there is to know about fish diseases. There are still many many diseases or parasites out there that are a mystery to us.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's ruff for sure, but we just don't know all there is to know about fish diseases. There are still many many diseases or parasites out there that are a mystery to us.

I have officially lost my first pair of clownfish. And I just might know the cause, starvation. The first 2 weeks a had them and by the 3rd and 4th week they stopped eating. First the male, then the female no interest about food at all

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry to hear this ...

I have a suspicion that starvation - while it may have been the final cause of death - is more likely to have been a symptom than to have been the actual disease. There's usually a reason that they lose interest in food . . . even if we can't put a finger on it.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry to hear this ...

I have a suspicion that starvation - while it may have been the final cause of death - is more likely to have been a symptom than to have been the actual disease. There's usually a reason that they lose interest in food . . . even if we can't put a finger on it.

~Bruce

Thank you Bruce, I do agree because she would have white stringy poo here and there.... which means it could be an internal parasite

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 Think about the many different diseases we humans face. The same probably holds true for fish.

Ich, velvet, flukes, bacterial infections and the various other fish diseases we discuss probably just scratch the surface. Fortunately, those are the most common - so we know how to advise in most instances.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Think about the many different diseases we humans face. The same probably holds true for fish.

Ich, velvet, flukes, bacterial infections and the various other fish diseases we discuss probably just scratch the surface. Fortunately, those are the most common - so we know how to advise in most instances.

I know now to QT my fish and treat them for any internal parasites, but what treatments do I use when I have new fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I dose that all at once and should I do a water change after the process? I heard people keep their fish in QT for a month

This is what's optimal:
  • Treat with Coppersafe for 30 days and then remove it from the water.
  • Next treat with Prazipro 2x, 5-7 days apart.
You can reverse that if you suspect the new fish has flukes. Either way, its around 6 weeks in total of QT.

Now, some people will combine copper + Prazipro to get total QT time down to 1 month. And that works in most cases. However, complications can arise - such as a bacterial bloom from combining meds - when taking shortcuts.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what's optimal:
  • Treat with Coppersafe for 30 days and then remove it from the water.
  • Next treat with Prazipro 2x, 5-7 days apart.
You can reverse that if you suspect the new fish has flukes. Either way, its around 6 weeks in total of QT.

Now, some people will combine copper + Prazipro to get total QT time down to 1 month. And that works in most cases. However, complications can arise - such as a bacterial bloom from combining meds - when taking shortcuts.

Thank you very much! You have been a huge help. I should be going to the lfs sometime this week for new additions.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back