First aquarium reef tank! Day one.

Maiciegrassmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started the reef tank journey today!

Waterbox 20 cube
Aquatop 100w heater
AI Prime 16HD reef (using AI signature light settings - David Saxby) not running light while cycling.
Swapping out the stock pump soon and currently still have stock media.

I was thinking about getting the InTank media basket with InTank floss and some chemipure elite for chamber 1 and taking out the filter sock, putting the heater in chamber 2 and possibly a protein skimmer(haven’t researched enough on them to choose) and then chamber 3 stock pump will be swapped for the Sicce Syncra (.5 or 1.0?) and adding ATO soon

My heater will be in tomorrow but not sure where I’m supposed to put that right now because the instructions for media in chamber two is to put ceramic rings, carbon, then the two sponge blocks. So it doesn’t seem like there’s room other than in chamber 3 which I know isn’t the best bet for the heater. Also I thought I read somewhere that carbon? shouldn’t be In the filtration while cycling. Can’t remember.

Still super new to saltwater so I’m still endlessly researching and watching tons of videos, but this is day one of cycling!

Any advice or tips welcome!

IMG_0632.jpeg IMG_0634.jpeg IMG_0635.jpeg IMG_0647.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great mate- you've done a good job setting this one up! First tank is always scary (.. and the next one will be just as scary so don't worry; it's normal :p )

It's a great bit of aquascape you have there, i like the gorge-look. Nice and open to the front although there might be a battle for habitat depending on what fish you will add. That's TBC :)

Your considerations with regards to the rear compartment sounds good to me. I run three similar sized tanks from Red Sea and I do not use the skimmer in any of them. I manage nutrients just fine with consideration of what I feed to the tank as well as 10% water changes (religiously!)

Keep it up- oh; and welcome to R2R! :star-struck:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard!
Sorry I can't help with the tank itself as I've never had an aio. Nice job with the scape tho. Do you have any idea what your going to put in the center opening between the rocks? Looks like the perfect place for a sand dwelling nem like a hoddoni :winking-face:
After the tank matures of course
20230913_203426.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put in any media right now, the system has just been started. You have rock and sand, that’s plenty of media right now. Let it mature up for some time.
Keep parameters as stable as possible will help the system mature faster, and with less pest stuff.

OP
OP
Maiciegrassmuck

Maiciegrassmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great mate- you've done a good job setting this one up! First tank is always scary (.. and the next one will be just as scary so don't worry; it's normal :p )

It's a great bit of aquascape you have there, i like the gorge-look. Nice and open to the front although there might be a battle for habitat depending on what fish you will add. That's TBC :)

Your considerations with regards to the rear compartment sounds good to me. I run three similar sized tanks from Red Sea and I do not use the skimmer in any of them. I manage nutrients just fine with consideration of what I feed to the tank as well as 10% water changes (religiously!)

Keep it up- oh; and welcome to R2R! :star-struck:
Do you think my aquascape is too much? Now I’m worried lol
My Intank basket should be here today but I will take your advice on water changes! I know there’s so much to learn, but I’m eager!

OP
OP
Maiciegrassmuck

Maiciegrassmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard!
Sorry I can't help with the tank itself as I've never had an aio. Nice job with the scape tho. Do you have any idea what your going to put in the center opening between the rocks? Looks like the perfect place for a sand dwelling nem like a hoddoni :winking-face:
After the tank matures of course
20230913_203426.jpg
I haven’t even thought about what I want coral wise, but for sure starting with softies! Hopefully SPS one day lol in terms of fish, obviously a pair of clown and then a clean up crew, but again, still researching and I have a little bit to figure that out. I got a video of my aquascape as some people say it’s too much and some say it’s perfect so I figured a full view might help show it all better. Posted it in a response to the other reply

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started the reef tank journey today!

Waterbox 20 cube
Aquatop 100w heater
AI Prime 16HD reef (using AI signature light settings - David Saxby) not running light while cycling.
Swapping out the stock pump soon and currently still have stock media.

I was thinking about getting the InTank media basket with InTank floss and some chemipure elite for chamber 1 and taking out the filter sock, putting the heater in chamber 2 and possibly a protein skimmer(haven’t researched enough on them to choose) and then chamber 3 stock pump will be swapped for the Sicce Syncra (.5 or 1.0?) and adding ATO soon

My heater will be in tomorrow but not sure where I’m supposed to put that right now because the instructions for media in chamber two is to put ceramic rings, carbon, then the two sponge blocks. So it doesn’t seem like there’s room other than in chamber 3 which I know isn’t the best bet for the heater. Also I thought I read somewhere that carbon? shouldn’t be In the filtration while cycling. Can’t remember.

Still super new to saltwater so I’m still endlessly researching and watching tons of videos, but this is day one of cycling!

Any advice or tips welcome!

IMG_0632.jpeg IMG_0634.jpeg IMG_0635.jpeg IMG_0647.jpeg
Tank looks great!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concern I see is the part on the left front looks like it may be close to the glass. Main thing is to have enough room to to clean the glass without the rock being to close. Other than I think it's look great. Yours may be fine, I can't really tell for sure from the images.

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with what you like and see how it goes. I'd only suggest to keep an eye on the center cove, could possibly be a dead spot for flow.

OP
OP
Maiciegrassmuck

Maiciegrassmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with what you like and see how it goes. I'd only suggest to keep an eye on the center cove, could possibly be a dead spot for flow.
I plan to add a wave maker, would that be helpful for that problem
The only concern I see is the part on the left front looks like it may be close to the glass. Main thing is to have enough room to to clean the glass without the rock being to close. Other than I think it's look great. Yours may be fine, I can't really tell for sure from the images.
i may scoot that rock back a tad before securing it

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maiciegrassmuck

Here are steps on how to make a build thread for people to follow ur build as you progress

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back