First day reefer!

AntLikesShinyRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyonejust got my first salt water tank today(coralife 16 biocube) filling it up now, put a 50w aqua top heater in the back, and filled up the bottom with some Caribsea sand. I’m super excited to try something new! Any tips for me?

image.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

My best tip would be to have patience. As surprising as it sounds, it will help you tremendously. If you don't understand it now, you will later down the road.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyonejust got my first salt water tank today(coralife 16 biocube) filling it up now, put a 50w aqua top heater in the back, and filled up the bottom with some Caribsea sand. I’m super excited to try something new! Any tips for me?

image.jpg
Do A LOT of reading and researching. Plan what you want in it and in what order they go in. Get good equipment. Doesn't need to be the absolute best, but it can't be something you pick up at a big box store either. Do you want a reef tank? Decide that now, as future purchases are going to be based on that. The classic idiom Knowlege is Power holds true. And know that whatever you have budgeted for this endeavor should be immediately multiplied by 3. Or so. Maybe more. My personal example was Live Rock. Didn't even know it was a thing. Took 3 years to collect 145lbs of that alone! Have fun! You're gonna have a blast.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back