For those (almost) about to rock...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you knew I'd get to this point eventually...

It's time for me to get serious about rocking my aquarium...

Depositphotos_1759062_s.jpg

Oops. Wrong kind of "live rock!"

"Wait, Fellman, you have to HAVE the tank first, right?"

Well, not necessarily. Hear me out.

I would like to make sure that the rock I use is at least "cultured" a bit with some life before I dump it (okay, "place it"- dumping sounds so uncivilized) into my tank when it's time, and this means I'd want to keep it submerged in a nice SW environment first. Fortunately, I know this place where there's like 16,000 gallons of saltwater in which to do this, and I'm there like every day...

SO, it's not too soon to think about this!

Since I last was "personally wet", there have been a number of options available for rock for reef tanks.

Obviously, there is still live rock. We can go back and forth arguing the ecological pros and cons, and the potential to introduce pests...All are valid points. The plus side is that it's, well- "live" from day one, and natural...which obviously is the "down side" as well..And the "cycling" is always a consideration for many people...

tonga.jpg

Mother nature still makes some bad-a_ _ rock!

There's quarried rock, like my fave Marco Rock, which has many attractive advantages, among them the fact that it's completely devoid of life forms, "fits" together super nicely, and is very cost-effective. Of course, the downside is that it IS completely devoid of life and will take some "down time" to recruit life forms. This stuff is so porous and "workable" that any perceived "downside" of having to be patient can be overcome by it's aesthetics.

Marco Rock one.JPG

I heart Marco Rock.

Then, of course, there is Real Reef, which in years past scared the heck out of me because of its composition...and it's a much, much better product now, with great aesthetics and light weight. They even make a branch rock that's pretty stunning. And of course, it's pretty much ready to go. I've seen some great tanks down with this stuff...The "now" aspect is tempting. Who's had it long term? Thoughts?

real-reef-branch-rock-4.jpg

Jake and I used Real Reef Branch in a show tank recently and LOVED it!

Then I see the great rock from Walt Smith (v2.0. v2.1 is the "dry" version). It's lightweight, attractive, and has a very different aesthetic than either of the two aforementioned brands. And the fact that it's made on site in Fiji with local labor is pretty cool.

walt-smith-reef-rock-3.jpg

Walt Smith does it again..and again...and again!

It basically falls into a couple of camps- natural live/dried or artificial.

I've done tanks with both over the years, with good results from each.

And of course, this is the part where we open up the discussion to your input!

Let's see pics of your tanks with different types of rocks, here your experiences with them, etc. A lot of reefers will benefit. Now, this is NOT about bashing one brand or another. It's about sharing your experiences and thoughts on the rock you used. If you're stoked on the rock, cool. If you have regrets on your choice, we'd want to hear them, too.

There are better alternatives than ever before, and the quality, value, and merits of each are really significant. Thank goodness we live in a time where we have so many good alternatives. The ecological and sustainability aspects of manmade rocks cannot be discounted. There are so many advantages that it's almost a non-talking-point. I think that, to me, it boils down to value, aesthetics, quality, and longer-term viability (i.e., is there any long-term chemical or biological downside to using any of the inert versions?).

So, how are you "rockin' your tanks?

Stay Wet- because I'm about to be!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

whatchamacallit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Walt smith 2.1 rock. Love it tons of hiding places for fish, light, and fun to piece together.

Also, under lights it doesn't look fake at all when in water

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
If I were to start my tank over again, I would build the skeleton of my scape with dry rock( pukani, shelf and branch) and let it cycle. I would then buy some Ultra grade LR (chosen for coralline diversity, and various micro fauna) to fill out the scape and let it cycle again. You may get some pests, but that is part of the whole experience.
Currently have Haitian LR ( 160lbs) in my 187g display. It is very "leaf" like. I believe it is lettuce coral skeleton. It stacks great, but a bit dense. I would prefer something a bit more porous.
Right island in the display, needs some Unique colors added to it..

image.jpg

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my tank when I first started it using Marco Rock. I used their mortar as well. Tried something different to keep them together at first but it just crumbled.
IMG_8665.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG
IMG_8667.JPG
IMG_8670.JPG

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I just put it all in a big trash can with a heater for 2 months then when it went in the tank I dumped in 2 bottles of that bacteria Marco sells

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a tough call, pros and cons to both. My last tank was set up using live rock, straight from fiji/tonga. I just recently(two weeks) got the 120 restarted with a complete overhaul! I used previous live rock, that had been dried, bleached, RODI soaked, vinegar soak, RODI soak and sat outside for 10-14 days. I know this rock is devoid of bacteria, but its also devoid of algae, pests, etc. So, for any and all tanks, Im a big fan of dead rock.
I do like the idea of adding in a piece or two of fully cured/"active" rock as well, for a bit of a boost in bacteria and coralline.

IMG_4148.JPG

Last edited:

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in this stage of planning the next tank. I've been racking my brain and spending more than a few hours researching what to choose and why I want it. It's annoying.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
If I were to start my tank over again, I would build the skeleton of my scape with dry rock( pukani, shelf and branch) and let it cycle. I would then buy some Ultra grade LR (chosen for coralline diversity, and various micro fauna) to fill out the scape and let it cycle again. You may get some pests, but that is part of the whole experience.
Currently have Haitian LR ( 160lbs) in my 187g display. It is very "leaf" like. I believe it is lettuce coral skeleton. It stacks great, but a bit dense. I would prefer something a bit more porous.
Right island in the display, needs some Unique colors added to it..

image.jpg
Looks nice...I do like lighter rock myself..And we can help with the "Unique" part, lol:)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my tank when I first started it using Marco Rock. I used their mortar as well. Tried something different to keep them together at first but it just crumbled.
IMG_8665.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG
IMG_8667.JPG
IMG_8670.JPG
It will be fun watching this one come alive!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always build my structures with a combo of dry rock, acid bath, start a cycle. Before I even buy the tank. My last few tanks aqua-scapes took months to build.

My 40G.
Approx~ 60 pieces from ~ 25#
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444945910.034282.jpg

Currently Collecting tonga and plates for soon to be 140G. Custom built to be done by January.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure makes your corals look pretty. Just don't want you to forget about us little guys.

LOL I should have mentioned your cool ceramics as an option! Lots of creative stuff can come from those! We loved them at MACNA!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always build my structures with a combo of dry rock, acid bath, start a cycle. Before I even buy the tank. My last few tanks aqua-scapes took months to build.

My 40G.
Approx~ 60 pieces from ~ 25#
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444945910.034282.jpg

Currently Collecting tonga and plates for soon to be 140G. Custom built to be done by January.
Nice! Really cool rock work!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started mine with all dry tonga branch and bare bottom and I did add a couple of bottles of bacteria. Should take a little longer to cycle but I feel it's worth the wait
4461d48b83161ac9bf66cb2b02e9a775.jpg

8dbe0007e687a076e51aff8aca2041f5.jpg

41d6a304310a09b58b7a71ebca552bbc.jpg
I hate you. I seriously hate you. I hate you. HATE. HATE YOU. Did I tell you, I HATE you?

@$^%^*& Love that rock work! WOW. DO tell about that tank, please.

Oh, I hate you.

-Scott:mad:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back