For those (almost) about to rock...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Steve Lowes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just taken today of a 4 month old Real Reef Rock aquascaped project. Looks like this is the first Real Reef aquarium in the thread - corrrect? I've learned a lot in the process of using Real Reef rock, some challenges but also some really strong advantages. I agree with Harold Green that fresh live rock is hard to beat and I do not claim Real Reef rock is superior - especially for the reasons proposed. As an instal/maintenance company though I've found the predictability of artificial rock to have some significant advantages for reef system set-up in practice. Reel Reef Rock certainly has the immediate visual impact and it's one less variable to concern with when you are already juggling lots of others. The lack of die-off means I can get a system set up with fish and hardy corals very quickly - often a desire of the client. But the lack of biodiversity means that you do need to be ready to address opportunistic life until a healthy population of coraline algae, sponges and micro-inverts gets well established. Let's just say you may want to keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide handy ....

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's important to think about the design of the rock not how it look initially, but how it will look after a year or two covered, or strategically covered depending on design, with coral. I was going to post a pic of my vidarock, but all I have now are pictures of coral, you can't see the rock at all. So just use what makes you happy!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that we're probably a bit too paranoid these days about the "pest factor" on live rock...Well, we do see things like flatworms, etc. on the mariculture disks that corals come in on, so our fears are not groundless. That being said, much of the life on fresh live rock will perish during the cycling process, and careful inspection of rock before using it will help reduce the numbers of many potentially unwanted hitchhikers..Obviously, you can't get everything...Harold's point about biodiversity is well taken, and is an important factor in selecting rock for your system, along with one's attitudes about sustainability, etc..a lot of factors to consider. I think we're pretty much out of the "live rock as a filter" phase, and looking at rock more as a vehicle for biodiversity in a closed reef system...good or bad, depending upon how you look at it!

-Scott

Mark426

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco Rocks and their mortar. If I were to do it again I would probably go with something that Alternative Reef could make for me.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that we're probably a bit too paranoid these days about the "pest factor" on live rock...Well, we do see things like flatworms, etc. on the mariculture disks that corals come in on, so our fears are not groundless. That being said, much of the life on fresh live rock will perish during the cycling process, and careful inspection of rock before using it will help reduce the numbers of many potentially unwanted hitchhikers..Obviously, you can't get everything...Harold's point about biodiversity is well taken, and is an important factor in selecting rock for your system, along with one's attitudes about sustainability, etc..a lot of factors to consider. I think we're pretty much out of the "live rock as a filter" phase, and looking at rock more as a vehicle for biodiversity in a closed reef system...good or bad, depending upon how you look at it!

-Scott
I think it depends on what you define filtering as. The only true filtering in my 210 is filter socks and a skimmer. Water is processed by live rock and the life living in and on it. Even my refusium has only clean filtered water entering it that is then processed by macros, pods, and a deep sand bed. As far as sustainability I see using aquacultured rock as a plus in several ways. One it doesn't destroy any existing reefs. It creates areas for corals and other marine life to get a foothold and a chance to reproduce. Fish, shrimp, crabs all have additional food and shelter in the offshore leases where the rock is allowed to mature. If there's a downside I'm not aware of it plus it provides employment for people in florida rather than half a world away. You can have a nice display with man made or harvested dead rock. But the fresh rock will give you options that would otherwise take months if not years to develop.

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each type of Rock has its place. Rock from the pacific has been lowered in quality of biodiversity due to its shipping methods unfortunately. Florida aquaculture rock can be overnighted to your doorstep. Tons of biodiversity from macro algae, live coral polyps, sponges, tunicates, clams, oysters, and more. A lot of life most retailers are in unable to acquire. I would love to see more exotic tunicates and sponges but I'm not keeping my hopes up. That said.
My advice Scott would be not to concern yourself with filteration or pests too much. You like many seasoned reefers have a game plan if a pest pops up. Same with filteration, there are so many ways to filter a tank now a days that if you reduce the rock in the display, there's always an alternative to add to the sump filteration. From skimmers, refuguiums, gfo, biopellets, and the list goes on and on. You already have the know how to take care of a reef.
If you really want to make an impact on the reef scene design a rock scape that doesn't show a piece of the reef but a photographic scene of the reef. Pick the rock for its look and composition for the final looking product regardless where you buy it.

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to convince anyone that fresh live rock was the only way to go. It just seems that most people don't feel it's safe to use uncured rock while I happen to think it's the best way to go. Personal preference only. I responded because I have read build after build using dead rock and I'd like to give new hobbyists the knowledge that fresh rock can work as well or better than dead rock. It will also allow a simpler set up without all the cycling and measuring that adding an ammonia source requires. You can actually start your tank with much of the bacteria already in place, coralline algae of different colors, macro's and of course sponges, clams, etc. Cost wise you can buy fresh rock and have it air freighted often for less than buying dead rock at your lfs. Also if you have enough live rock and little die off it gives you the option of beginning to stock your tank almost from the start although I generally let the tank run and age to stabilize the entire system before stocking. Maintaining the life on the rock can be a good learning experience for new hobbyists because if you can't keep it alive you need to research further before adding livestock to any tank. I hope that some hobbyists both new and advanced who haven't tried this method will and let us know the results.
Where do you get your live rock from? And what kind is it?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back