For those (almost) about to rock...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Walt Smith 2.1 dry rock . Pretty happy with it and a little goes a long way. I am experiencing a bacterial bloom at the 2 month mark though, not sure if it has anything to do with the man made rock or not though. Here's a pic
image.jpeg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Walt Smith 2.1 dry rock . Pretty happy with it and a little goes a long way. I am experiencing a bacterial bloom at the 2 month mark though, not sure if it has anything to do with the man made rock or not though. Here's a pic
image.jpeg
Nice-looking stuff! As far as the algae, I'd suspect that it's just the normal "new reef" thing...I honestly don't know about the possible chemical impact of any of the artificial rocks on water parameters. I'm sure a lot of good information can be had from the manufacturers, of course, but it's something worth looking into!

-Scott

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with dry rock. I used jb water weld, super glue, and acrylic rods with a masonry bit to build my scape.

IMG-1439873359710-V.jpg

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b70c28aabfc3e3f854e9f7d87ae51654.jpg
52435179000a1c0a896ad446c596ebf5.jpg

Tukani rock
The second picture is after being in my tank for 3 years. Talk about diversity in coralline! You will probably experience a tank that's too clean tough.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was such a thing as a package of safe/beneficial "hitchhiker" creatures to seed dry rock with....
I originally started with dry rock, and appreciated the absence of pests, but I sometimes wish my tank had more variation in creatures.

Charles Raabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having retired to the Philippines in 2004, I simply can't imagine having to buy what is called "live rock" as I have been spoiled rotten in being able to hand pick anything and everything right out of the ocean. As such, I of course do have to quarantine any rocks to get rid of the mantis shrimp and various crabs. I also have my choice of macro algae covered rocks or your basic encrusted rock from near the coral reef wall (as shown in the reef tour link below).
I will be filling a new tank this next week with it's initial sand and water and will then be on the hunt for uniquely shaped live rocks to create the initial landscape.
Here is an example of what I could run off with by the truck load if need be...lol

My diving / snorkeling grounds

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/reeftour.html

liverock1.jpg

liverock2.jpg

Klcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixture of live rock, base rock and I made a few pieces on my own Following instructions for it from an issue of Tropical Fish Magazine. The DIY rock is pretty neat to do and I guess what helped was having a few good pieces of live rock.
The only othe issue with the DIY rock is you have to make a few so that you have several pieces to choose from and it also takes a few weeks to cure before you can use it

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having retired to the Philippines in 2004, I simply can't imagine having to buy what is called "live rock" as I have been spoiled rotten in being able to hand pick anything and everything right out of the ocean. As such, I of course do have to quarantine any rocks to get rid of the mantis shrimp and various crabs. I also have my choice of macro algae covered rocks or your basic encrusted rock from near the coral reef wall (as shown in the reef tour link below).
I will be filling a new tank this next week with it's initial sand and water and will then be on the hunt for uniquely shaped live rocks to create the initial landscape.
Here is an example of what I could run off with by the truck load if need be...lol

liverock1.jpg

liverock2.jpg
OMG, Chuck...This is quite an honor...I've studied your website and referred people there for years. You even gave me permission to se pics in a couple of my MACNA talks some time back...LOVE your site.

Folks, Chuck's Addiction is one of the best resources for reefers that you'll find. Real world observations from a hardcore reefer "on location!"

Thanks for stopping by...:)

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b70c28aabfc3e3f854e9f7d87ae51654.jpg
52435179000a1c0a896ad446c596ebf5.jpg

Tukani rock
The second picture is after being in my tank for 3 years. Talk about diversity in coralline! You will probably experience a tank that's too clean tough.
Great pics and interesting 'scape, too! Love that coralline!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was such a thing as a package of safe/beneficial "hitchhiker" creatures to seed dry rock with....
I originally started with dry rock, and appreciated the absence of pests, but I sometimes wish my tank had more variation in creatures.
Yeah, I think it's how we look at the "pests", really...I mean, even flatworms are common on a reef and are part of the diversity...It's juts problematic as heck in a closed system!

-Scott

Reefermadness73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate you. I seriously hate you. I hate you. HATE. HATE YOU. Did I tell you, I HATE you?

@$^%^*& Love that rock work! WOW. DO tell about that tank, please.

Oh, I hate you.

-Scott:mad:
Lol.... Thanks for the "kind words" ;)
100 gallon CADlight tank that will be SPS dominant, I like to keep my systems as simple as possible so just a skimmer and still deciding on either Prodibio or just some GFO and water changes to control nutrients. MP 40's QD for water movement and an 8 bulb ATI T-5's ( not ready to give them up yet), 1 reefbriteXHO for color pop and added PAR

awcasper

Goby in the sea of life.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

liverock1.jpg

liverock2.jpg

That's some sweet inspiration. Thanks!

josh.j.avila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love reading and seeing all these options as I'm about to start my second tank. I'm thinking about going with a man made rock that's left in the ocean and shipped back in water

f8cbaea949bb4291a7d804693dc496e6.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vidarock ceramic and I really like it. Any new projects in the future I will continue to use vidarock if I can find it.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like most hobbyists are favoring using dead rock to aquascape their tanks. I've had marine tanks for over forty years. Originally they were all filled with dead corals and fish used to cycle. Over the years I've gotten away from both cycling with fish and using dead rock or corals as the aquascape. Today my tanks may have a bit of dry rock for base rock but the majority of my rock is fresh, live, and uncured. There are many types of live and dead rock available but I prefer rock that was added to the ocean and then harvested years later. I like the variety of animals and plants on the live rock. I'm one of those who enjoy the rock itself more than fish. I'm also able to skip most of the cycling of a new tank. I just assemble and allow to run, slowly adding corals or a few fish. Never any noticable rise in ammonia or nitrates. Live rock often contains bacteria that will break some nitrates down and the tank systems can handle the rest. The only downside I see is the rock is often growing different types of macro's and the growth can be rapid in a new system until the bacteria, pods and cuc can balance out the growth against the initial higher nutrients of the new tank system. I think adding pests on fresh rock is overhyped and likely only happens rarely. The benefits of adding live sponges, clams, dusters and other worms are probably under appreciated. I never buy rock that is cured but for some I realize it's difficult to find fresh rock without having it overnite air freighted. It's hard for me to see how anyone can consider fresh rock allowed to dry for a week or more to be live rock. Most of the life has died and then needs to be cleaned off (cured) before it can be used. Now that I'm a senior I no longer want to wait months for dead rock to even begin to look like live rock and it can take a considerable amount of time to get to that level. Here's my latest small reef (54g) at the ripe old age of one week. Now at three weeks with daily feeding of the clams, corals, tunicates, feather worms, there is still little evidence of cycling although there is growth of the macros as I mentioned.
54 reef .jpg

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like most hobbyists are favoring using dead rock to aquascape their tanks. I've had marine tanks for over forty years. Originally they were all filled with dead corals and fish used to cycle. Over the years I've gotten away from both cycling with fish and using dead rock or corals as the aquascape. Today my tanks may have a bit of dry rock for base rock but the majority of my rock is fresh, live, and uncured. There are many types of live and dead rock available but I prefer rock that was added to the ocean and then harvested years later. I like the variety of animals and plants on the live rock. I'm one of those who enjoy the rock itself more than fish. I'm also able to skip most of the cycling of a new tank. I just assemble and allow to run, slowly adding corals or a few fish. Never any noticable rise in ammonia or nitrates. Live rock often contains bacteria that will break some nitrates down and the tank systems can handle the rest. The only downside I see is the rock is often growing different types of macro's and the growth can be rapid in a new system until the bacteria, pods and cuc can balance out the growth against the initial higher nutrients of the new tank system. I think adding pests on fresh rock is overhyped and likely only happens rarely. The benefits of adding live sponges, clams, dusters and other worms are probably under appreciated. I never buy rock that is cured but for some I realize it's difficult to find fresh rock without having it overnite air freighted. It's hard for me to see how anyone can consider fresh rock allowed to dry for a week or more to be live rock. Most of the life has died and then needs to be cleaned off (cured) before it can be used. Now that I'm a senior I no longer want to wait months for dead rock to even begin to look like live rock and it can take a considerable amount of time to get to that level. Here's my latest small reef (54g) at the ripe old age of one week. Now at three weeks with daily feeding of the clams, corals, tunicates, feather worms, there is still little evidence of cycling although there is growth of the macros as I mentioned.
54 reef .jpg

I agree 1000% with this, BUT.
As I love to watch the life beyond the corals and fishes just as much, if not more as well, it comes down to styling.

I, for one, have a very modern, minimalist home. I like my tanks aqua scape to compliment.
Being able to spend time to construct, & the whole build process is just as much addictive.

To introduce life, after my cycle, I'll buy a few pounds of rock from someone breaking down, add it for a couple months or to the sump. Thats how I got all my bristles, stars, etc..

Besides, majority of those creatures end up in your tank eventually.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54 reef .jpg

I had purchased Fl live rock like this years back in a 90g, and that tank was bullet proof. I ended up with all the pests, but it was worth it.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to convince anyone that fresh live rock was the only way to go. It just seems that most people don't feel it's safe to use uncured rock while I happen to think it's the best way to go. Personal preference only. I responded because I have read build after build using dead rock and I'd like to give new hobbyists the knowledge that fresh rock can work as well or better than dead rock. It will also allow a simpler set up without all the cycling and measuring that adding an ammonia source requires. You can actually start your tank with much of the bacteria already in place, coralline algae of different colors, macro's and of course sponges, clams, etc. Cost wise you can buy fresh rock and have it air freighted often for less than buying dead rock at your lfs. Also if you have enough live rock and little die off it gives you the option of beginning to stock your tank almost from the start although I generally let the tank run and age to stabilize the entire system before stocking. Maintaining the life on the rock can be a good learning experience for new hobbyists because if you can't keep it alive you need to research further before adding livestock to any tank. I hope that some hobbyists both new and advanced who haven't tried this method will and let us know the results.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back