Has anyone used this as a lid for their tank?

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"OPTIX acrylic lighting panel"

I can pick it up from a nearby hardware store. I've been looking for something lightweight that won't block too much PAR.

Otherwise I planned on going the egg crate route. Just want something for the jumpers.

Thanks!

OP
OP
N

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a follow on question for this: has anyone experimented with the actual effects of light diffusion? I mean, light is diffused the moment it hits the water, it would seem to me that light being diffused by some greehouse type panel 2 inches above the water shouldnt make much of a difference and could possibly be beneficial under the right usage.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cheap plexiglass sheets in the past and they would eventually bow. Probably because I bought panels that were too thin to stay rigid.
I now make my own screen lids with the screen door kits from Lowe’s. I like them much better than cheap plastic lids.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not seem optimal. You want just a plain, clear sheet of polycarbonate/lexan. Acrylic warps and you don't want any weird patterns/diffusers.

Upvote 0

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try these guys.

Is there a thickness you would recommend? I'd need two 23x11.5in sheets

Upvote 0

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can pick it up from a nearby hardware store. I've been looking for something lightweight that won't block too much PAR.

Otherwise I planned on going the egg crate route. Just want something for the jumpers.

Thanks!
I agree with gtinnel, I did the same. I bought the screen frame materials, plastic screen with 1/4" mesh holes, aluminum hinges and hardware, you can design around any equipment, etc. I would highly recommend this rather than what you are looking at. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a 3/8" acrylic panel on top of mine while I wait for the Kraken lid to come. Within 3 days the edges were curling up and the corners say about an inch off the top.

Acrylic is not a great material for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a 3/8" acrylic panel on top of mine while I wait for the Kraken lid to come. Within 3 days the edges were curling up and the corners say about an inch off the top.

Acrylic is not a great material for that.
Thanks! That's what i was afraid of. I wanted a Kraken but they don't have a standard fit for Aqueon and aren't taking custom orders.

Upvote 0

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
There'll likely be condensation accumulating leaving beads of water hanging off the lids affecting the light. Also, screen kits are so inexpensive, customizable and easy to build that there is really no reason to consider lids. just my 2c

Upvote 0

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked a KastLite Egg Crate Panel up on a suggestion from a previous post. Won’t help with humidity but will prevent jumping and falling lights.

IMG_2201.jpeg

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back