Hello new to aquariums

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Either glass or mesh will work fine and they both need maintenance from time to time. Arguably, it is easier to clean the glass than the screen and the glass will need less long term maintenance. Glass will absorb/reflect more of light put not appreciably more. Glass will reduce evaporation so you do less top off. It is all a trade off. Mesh is probably better for gas exchange and light transmission. Glass is better for maintenance and evaporation. That said, I live in Arizona so I worry more about the tank getting too warm than getting too cool. I prefer a mesh top as I need the evaporation to help keep the tank temps down. Evaporation is one of the main ways to cool a tank. It is better to use cutouts than a gap at the back. Many fish are incredibly skilled jumpers and can fit through openings that are seemingly smaller than their bodies.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m new to the aquarium hobby and chose to go saltwater from the start. This forums seems to pop up all the time when I google my questions and figured I would join. I have a couple of questions. Glass lid or screen for my aqueon 40g breeder tank? And for my lighting I think ima go with nicrew. Should I get two 50w or two 100w
Is your "aqueon" a rimless? Im losing my f&^*&g mind not being able to find a 40 breeder equivalent rimless that fits on my custom made stand unless I have one built for me which is ridiculously expensive.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back