Hello new to aquariums

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
H8VECcFiTCylIqSp-MdpRw.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m new to the aquarium hobby and chose to go saltwater from the start. This forums seems to pop up all the time when I google my questions and figured I would join. I have a couple of questions. Glass lid or screen for my aqueon 40g breeder tank? And for my lighting I think ima go with nicrew. Should I get two 50w or two 100w
Did not read other posts. Glass gets a white film on it and effects the lighting thus the Par if you want corals. Screen tops are available from suppliers but are huge expensive. I made my own from supplies from a hardware store. You need framing , can order stainless screen off amazon, and spline which is just the gasket to hold the screen in place, as well as corner pieces and a spline tool. Just make sure to measure the gap on your frame and get the correct sized spline, and not fumble around like me

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you're here. I'm a relatively new member and the group here is awesome. My lighting knowledge is 15 years old, so I have nothing for you there (I ran a 48" T5 8 bulb array). But it is older tech that I used on my previous EXT 90G tank (48x18x24). I've never had a lid on the thing. I was told, waaaay back, that it affects pH in a negative manner. If that is still considered true, I don't know, but I never had issue with it. If anyone has issue with my statement please correct me. For I am not the end all, be all master of aquarium knowledge lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For a 40Breeder, take a look at Ai Hydra 26 or 32 and noopsyche K7 pro

OP
OP
S

svleo777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not read other posts. Glass gets a white film on it and effects the lighting thus the Par if you want corals. Screen tops are available from suppliers but are huge expensive. I made my own from supplies from a hardware store. You need framing , can order stainless screen off amazon, and spline which is just the gasket to hold the screen in place, as well as corner pieces and a spline tool. Just make sure to measure the gap on your frame and get the correct sized spline, and not fumble around like me
Ok one question what about the hoses and connections for the heater do you make individual holes for that just leave a gap at the back

OP
OP
S

svleo777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you're here. I'm a relatively new member and the group here is awesome. My lighting knowledge is 15 years old, so I have nothing for you there (I ran a 48" T5 8 bulb array). But it is older tech that I used on my previous EXT 90G tank (48x18x24). I've never had a lid on the thing. I was told, waaaay back, that it affects pH in a negative manner. If that is still considered true, I don't know, but I never had issue with it. If anyone has issue with my statement please correct me. For I am not the end all, be all master of aquarium knowledge lol.
Yea I just don’t want nothing going in there while im at work or something

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use my Apogee and do some experiments. I will use glass, nothing, and then my screen. Of course it will not be a perfect experiment but will shed some light ^^ on the subject .I will post my actual settings for my lights. I need to do it anyway, as already am getting fish done, now I need and want coral
As far as PH I have read that glass inhibits gas exchange but to me should not be effected by screen. The only reason I have anything is that I have lost 4 fish from jumping. So I chose screen as the smallest impact

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one question what about the hoses and connections for the heater do you make individual holes for that just leave a gap at the back
I use about 3 inches of thick plastic, and cut groves in it. On a rimmed tank I fit it inside and tape it in place then the screen sits on top. You can also get velcro to hold the screen down. As for rimless I cut the plastic so it overhangs the sides. You can make grooves with the frame and corner pieces but to me a lot of work. It wont weaken it much if you do that. If you goggle aquarium screens you will see the commercial ones available that do that but the " groove kits are separate and add to the already crazy cost. I spent about 150, and did three aquariums had enough to do5 separate screens. If bought commercial which you still have to customize to my memory probably 5 -6 hundred

OP
OP
S

svleo777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use my Apogee and do some experiments. I will use glass, nothing, and then my screen. Of course it will not be a perfect experiment but will shed some light ^^ on the subject .I will post my actual settings for my lights. I need to do it anyway, as already am getting fish done, now I need and want coral
As far as PH I have read that glass inhibits gas exchange but to me should not be effected by screen. The only reason I have anything is that I have lost 4 fish from jumping. So I chose screen as the smallest impact
ok im sure the glass would have some effect but how much is the question, looking forward to seeing your results. I havent heard about the ph thing but i guess it makes sense

OP
OP
S

svleo777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok im sure the glass would have some effect but how much is the question, looking forward to seeing your results. I havent heard about the ph thing but i guess it makes sense
This is what you need. Look carefully at frame the corner pieces fit a certain way
screen 2.jpg
screen 1.jpg
screen 3.jpg
screen 4.jpg
screen 5.jpg
thanks friend this was very helpful didnt even know stainless steel mesh existed

JustMarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m new to the aquarium hobby and chose to go saltwater from the start. This forums seems to pop up all the time when I google my questions and figured I would join. I have a couple of questions. Glass lid or screen for my aqueon 40g breeder tank? And for my lighting I think ima go with nicrew. Should I get two 50w or two 100w
Welcome aboard

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back