Help.. Just help <<sigh>>

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Einna, I'm syphon ing twice a day. It's SO ugly. I may be removing them. I'd rather scrape algae than syphon poo all day.

I hear ceriths/dwarf ceriths do the same job, but better.

The biggest help is small detritivores to futher break down the waste. Most of these are sand infauna...I think pods and bristleworms are two helpful ones that are fairly available. I'd be a little nervous of bworms in a nano, though o_O

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, almost there.
With some fish in your tank you got some more water movement and your filter will be picking this up.
Or get a small pump in there that will move it around for you.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea of what this is that is growing? White hairy fuzz...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388643931.232224.jpg

I love this piece of rock so I'm hoping its nothing to worry about. It is nowhere else in my tank.
Thanks as always!
Stephanie

lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to here your things , I also agree to let it cycle another 2 weeks

saltfishguy18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to sexy corals for doing an awesome thing. Makes me want to go shop from them just to show my faith. Good luck!!!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you visit Mike already?

Yes, Hydroids are smaller and not so hairy.
I almost thought that you dropped a hairball in your tank or so, LOL.
I think your tank is more than ready for some easy softies like zoa's or rics.
Just don't get to large corals as your tank is a Nano.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to hook up with him but it's been a no go so far. I'm having to go out in the morning to drop mortgage docs off with a lender and escrow and will be right there. After that it will be awhile before I head back to Orange County. Baby's daddy just informed me he isn't going to pay his CS. This job I had Sat was the first in 9 weeks. It's been really tough and I'm trying to stay positive for 2014. At least I've got some snails and two frags in my tank.
My nano is only equipped for Zoa's paly's and mushroom. As soon as I get the stuff from Mike I will post LOTS of pics! Happy New Year and thanks again for the support! You all have been great!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to hook up with him but it's been a no go so far. I'm having to go out in the morning to drop mortgage docs off with a lender and escrow and will be right there. After that it will be awhile before I head back to Orange County. Baby's daddy just informed me he isn't going to pay his CS. This job I had Sat was the first in 9 weeks. It's been really tough and I'm trying to stay positive for 2014. At least I've got some snails and two frags in my tank.
My nano is only equipped for Zoa's paly's and mushroom. As soon as I get the stuff from Mike I will post LOTS of pics! Happy New Year and thanks again for the support! You all have been great!
Wow, fun. Sounds like the time some of my friends have been having...
Hope things improve for you soon.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, new unknown critter. Is it good or bad?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389069555.989520.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389069565.554501.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389069574.354568.jpg

Sorry, was the best I could get with my iphone. It's about the size of a squished pea. VERY fast, zooms all over like nobody's business. Not sure if I should flush it.
Thanks

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatella Snail

Kinda looks like a cross between a slug and a snail.
Their shell is fairly flat and inconspicuous compared to the shells of most snails.
They are typically mottled brownish green in color, but can also be black, gray or other colors which is where their species name of varia comes from.
They stay under about 3/4″ in length.
Due the shell shape, the body is always exposed to some degree and the Stomatella use the techniques of being mostly nocturnal as well as being fast (at least for a snail) to avoid predators.
When they are out during the day, they tend to be very secretive.
They also can break off the rear portion of their foot to distract an attacker while they make their getaway.
Since Stomatella are mostly nocturnal a look at the tank walls after dark with a flashlight will usually spot these critters if they are present in the tank.

Good or Bad?
Stomatella are great additions to the reef tank.
They are herbivores and feed upon micro algae in the reef tank much like any snail that you might go out to buy to do the same job and have the added benefit that they don’t move stuff around like regular snails can with their large shells and are more discrete if you don’t like a tank with a bunch of snails hanging on the glass.
Stomatella will reproduce in the reef tank, but don’t seem to reach nuisance population levels.
Breeding has been observed during the daytime with all individuals climbing up to high points on the live rock and simultaneously releasing their eggs and sperm into the water.
This can cause the tank water to look milky for a short time, but is nothing to worry about and will clear on its own.
The filter feeders get to eat well when this occurs.
Unfortunately since they don’t have great shell protection, predatory animals in the tank such as hermit crabs, predatory shrimp and perhaps some fish can make a meal of them.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... My red PE's came off the frag plug. They were in two sections. One has two and the other has three. I pulled a nice rock that they were near and glued them down. The two head polyp is open and looks great. The one with three looks horrible. They are closed except the mouths are sticking out. Should I be worried?
My eagle eye Zoa kept loosing pieces so I pulled it, scooped up the floating polyps, fragged it in half and glued to another rock. It will be awesome when they fill in. These opened up within minutes of putting them back in the tank.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect the unhappy piece for pests, detritus, or algae. I've had corals refuse to open because there was a bit of bubble algae on them.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Einna, checked it when I pulled them out. I see nothing. I'll try to get a picture and post. It's definitely stressed or something.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle Eyes super happy. You can't see but there are 8 frags on this rock
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389214815.714935.jpg

Here is the PE. You can see the double looks great and when the blue light is on the red is spectacular. When I got them they were a muddy orange/ red. Now they are bright blood red. But look at the one next to it with three...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389214942.014839.jpg

Thanks!
Steph

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, ok it is definitely having an issue!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389226590.063927.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? I was just as gentle with this one as the one behind it.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids are weird. One can react completely differently to the one next to it.

It should open up soon, but if it stays closed for more than a week and a half or so, then I'd give it an iodine dip.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole Tang, thanks. What so storage is that I didn't cut any of these PEs. They just fell off the plug in two pieces so I did an iodine dip for about a minute and gently glued them to the rock. I hope this one makes it. Looks like a prolapsed uterus (I helped a goat once)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back