HELP. WOKE UP TO ALL OF MY FISH DEAD

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foggy eye on the Angel has me suspecting a parasitic infection of some sort. Velvet and ich can sometimes lead to that but so too can flukes, and infections.

Were they swimming in to powerheads at all? Hiding from light? Breathing heavily? Being more cryptic in general? Twitching? Scratching? Flashing?

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foggy eye on the Angel has me suspecting a parasitic infection of some sort. Velvet and ich can sometimes lead to that but so too can flukes, and infections.

Were they swimming in to powerheads at all? Hiding from light? Breathing heavily? Being more cryptic in general? Twitching? Scratching? Flashing?
Yes they were doing all of that yesterday

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry this happened. Are those the only 2 fish in the tank? What size is the tank? How much rock is in there?

Like others, I think ammonia is a possibility. Depending how much you're feeding and how many fish you have in the tank, it may be that your tank did cycle, but that it wasn't prepared for the added bioload which caused an ammonia spike (that's just a speculation). My other theory is like @4FordFamily said, something like velvet which moves quickly through fish in a tank. Did you quarantine the fish before adding them? I literally lost 16 fish in less than 2 weeks to velvet before...now I QT everything!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming that you are not dosing calcium or alk into your tank. If you are dosing, you are adding too much.

If you are not dosing than I think you have a salinity issue. Some rough math based on using Instant Ocean salt would give you a salinity over 1.035 to get the calcium and alk levels you are currently seeing.

If you use a refractometer to measure your salinity I would check to make sure it is calibrated. If you are using a swing arm hydrometer I would recommend melting it into a molten puddle of plastic and replacing it with a refractometer. I used a hydrometer when I filled my 120g tank while waiting for my refractometer to arrive thinking it would get me close. I was shooting for 1.015 when I filled and was actually less than 1.0. They just don't work well enough.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things
1) go pick up api test kit for ammonia
2) Are you dosing or anything? don't understand how you are reaching alk 12, cal 500 using Instant Ocean. The level don't mix that high to begin with. Everyone correct me if I am wrong but the #'s are not matching up in my mind
3) I do not doubt possible infection etc I just am questions test results.
4) you top of with RO/DI correct?

@Brew12 we are on same page

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things
1) go pick up api test kit for ammonia
2) Are you dosing or anything? don't understand how you are reaching alk 12, cal 500 using Instant Ocean. The level don't mix that high to begin with. Everyone correct me if I am wrong but the #'s are not matching up in my mind
3) I do not doubt possible infection etc I just am questions test results.
4) you top of with RO/DI correct?

@Brew12 we are on same page
Yes I am dosing with a reef kit I picked up at petco. Should I not be doing that?

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should not be doing any dosing at this time. Your WC should suffice.
Reef Kit from petco?? name brand?

I am not saying that is what killed your fish.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have setup alot of tanks in my day, and going off looking at the first pic, I wouldnt even bother testing ish yet , its not ready, your still in diatom bloom leading me to believe you used dead or dry live rock / and sand even if it was sold as live ,this tank is sterile atm and you sandbed is a bit shallow looking , what size tank and can you elaborate on the whole setup , hope you get it nailed down

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes they were doing all of that yesterday

Meaning what? they were doing all of what @4FordFamily is asking. Please elaborate.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say disease then
I mean I would test for amonia but if the fish all had the symptoms of velvet chances are it's velvet. Have u added nythomg to the tank recently?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am dosing with a reef kit I picked up at petco. Should I not be doing that?

Ok, I feel better now!

No you should not be doing any dosing at this time. Your WC should suffice.

I would agree if he were using reef crystals. Since he does have frags in his tank the Instant Ocean salt would need a little bit of dosing to bring the calcium and alk up imo. This should probably be done when mixing up the salt and not as a regular addition.

There is really nothing in the tank consuming calcium so no need to replace it regularly like you do in more established tanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say disease then
I mean I would test for amonia but if the fish all had the symptoms of velvet chances are it's velvet. Have u added nythomg to the tank recently?

This. Behavioral symptoms of velvet listed below:
  • Reduced or complete loss of appetite.
  • Heavy breathing, rubbing, flashing, head twitching, erratic swimming behavior (unfortunately velvet shares all these same symptoms with ich & gill flukes.)
  • Swimming into the flow of a powerhead (unique to velvet).
  • Acting reclusive (velvet causes fish to be sensitive to light).
Physical symptoms (white dots) may never show.

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say disease then

No all the fish were added at the same time and treated for a week in qt. But I didn't see anything on them so I put them in. So in ur opinion how long should I wait before adding another fish and how long should I treat them in a qt tank and what should I treat with

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo I forgot to say I'm sorry for ur loss we have all been there and it's just a horrible feeling. Chin up tho we are going to help u figure out what happened so it doesn't happen again and then we learn from it so it doesn't happen again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back