HELP. WOKE UP TO ALL OF MY FISH DEAD

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No all the fish were added at the same time and treated for a week in qt. But I didn't see anything on them so I put them in. So in ur opinion how long should I wait before adding another fish and how long should I treat them in a qt tank and what should I treat with
What did u treat with in qt for a week?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No all the fish were added at the same time and treated for a week in qt. But I didn't see anything on them so I put them in. So in ur opinion how long should I wait before adding another fish and how long should I treat them in a qt tank and what should I treat with
Your tank should let you know when it is ready. The first step is to get that ammonia test kit and see what the results look like. Once you find out where you stand with your tank cycling you can start planning a path forward. If you don't have any ammonia when you test and suspect velvet you should wait at least 6 weeks prior to adding fish.

I strongly recommend reading these threads on how to QT.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if it is velvet and not an amonia spike (which if it was amonia I would think u would have lost ur corals as well if not now but when u get home)
U should leave the DT empty for 76 days.
Where did u buy the fish u mentioned something about petco for supplies did u get fish there as well?
And for qt like a month or so watching the fish and when they show any sighns that's when u act. Don't treat fish just to treat them. Just watch and if they start doing crazy things like swimming into the power head then Medicare with copper.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information from Humblefish on how long to go fishless.

Fallow Periods - Below is the general consensus fallow periods for all diseases that require it. In most cases, it is the longest known time period that the encysted stage can survive on corals, inverts, rocks, substrate without a fish host to feed on. The fallow period starts when the last fish is removed from the tank.
  • Black ich (turbellarian worms) - 4 weeks
  • Brooklynella aka “Clownfish disease” or “Brook” - 6 weeks
  • Gill Flukes (worms) - 4 weeks
  • Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) - 76 days
  • Uronema marinum - No fallow period, as it does not require a fish host to survive. It is an opportunistic parasite that strikes when a fish’s immune system has been compromised. Uronema mainly affects damsels (especially chromis) and clownfish.
  • Velvet (Amyloodinium) - 6 weeks

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man so sorry! Like others have said let's get the basics figured out. Get an ammonia/nitrite test kit and start from there. Any stray voltage in the tank ? Temps ok? Looks to be poor water quality or disease of some sort but start with the water.

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did about 25 percent water change and will test again in a bit and post the levels once I test. And thank you everyone for your help it's much appreciated.

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if it is velvet and not an amonia spike (which if it was amonia I would think u would have lost ur corals as well if not now but when u get home)
U should leave the DT empty for 76 days.
Where did u buy the fish u mentioned something about petco for supplies did u get fish there as well?
And for qt like a month or so watching the fish and when they show any sighns that's when u act. Don't treat fish just to treat them. Just watch and if they start doing crazy things like swimming into the power head then Medicare with copper.

Yes I did get the fish there as well

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank should let you know when it is ready. The first step is to get that ammonia test kit and see what the results look like. Once you find out where you stand with your tank cycling you can start planning a path forward. If you don't have any ammonia when you test and suspect velvet you should wait at least 6 weeks prior to adding fish.

I strongly recommend reading these threads on how to QT.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

You said my tank will let me know when it's ready. What do you mean. What should my tank look like when it's ready

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid buying anything alive (rock / fish / corals / etc.) from petco as much as possible unless you are extremely experienced with identifying and treating diseases and parasites. I personally don't quarantine any of my fish, but I only buy them from a LFS I trust and know dip and run copper in all their holding tanks.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had ammonia. Would that strip that acro in right away?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should pick up this book. It's a great, super affordable, easy to follow guide that walks you through QT processes, and basic disease identification and treatment. Once you have a solid base knowledge, jump back on here and discuss more in depth issues with experienced reef keepers :)

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why or how, but velvet is all over the place, specifically from wholesalers. It seems I see more and more of these posts.

Exactly. I don't know what the problem is. And these fish aren't exactly cheap either. If you ask me I feel that wholesalers should have holding tanks that are set up for fish so they can treat them.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O I would say u had velvet then if u got the fish from petco. Ur fish fought a good fight but in the end velvet won the battle.
Nothing u could have done diffently if the fish looked good up until yesterday.
But from here on out qt qt qt so it doesn't happen again

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they were doing all of that yesterday
They did everything I mentioned? Definitely velvet if so and tank was not ready, ammonia may have also been a factor. Go fallow 76 days (no fish, coral, or anything wet added).

Treat all new fish for 30 days in therapeutic levels of copper in a quarantine tank before adding to your display.

Sorry for your loss buddy

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said my tank will let me know when it's ready. What do you mean. What should my tank look like when it's ready
The big thing is ammonia. I bought some pure ammonia online (couldn't find the pure stuff in any local stores) and dosed my tank up to 2ppm. Within 12 hrs my ammonia went down to zero and I saw a slight rise in Nitrates. I missed the nitrite cycle because it must have happened when I was at work.
Once your tank can process some ammonia rapidly, it should be ready for a fish or two.

OP
OP
F

Fishboy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my tank. New levels are ammonia .25 nitrates 0 ph 8.4 calcium 460 phosphate 0 kh 214. The kh didn't budge one bit but I don't want to shock my coral by don't another water change

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my tank. New levels are ammonia .25 nitrates 0 ph 8.4 calcium 460 phosphate 0 kh 214. The kh didn't budge one bit but I don't want to shock my coral by don't another water change
Don't change any more water. You want the ammonia in your tank to help grown the bacteria you need to process it.

People much more knowledgeable than me are saying it was probably velvet. That is possible but considering the water change you have done, you had lethal levels of ammonia in your tank. It doesn't take much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back