How often to ghost feed cycling dry rock?

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve had some dry rock cycling in tubs in the garage for around three months now while I work on my upgrade. The upgrade is taking quite a while and I’m in no rush to get it done either. As the rocks are in tubs with no fish or light source, how often should I be adding food? The rock completed a cycle a month or so ago. Should I be ghost feeding it say once a week with some flake food or something?

Many thanks

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you would want to match you new bio-load with your new rock. But if you are far away from adding it to a new tank don’t worry about it. The main thing is to keep you aerobic bacteria in a healthy state. It will grow to the needs of the new tank. So I would actually dose liquid ammonia once a week, that way you won't have any detritus build up. It would be a completely different story if it was actual live rock. but since this is dry, this is how I would do it.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you would want to match you new bio-load with your new rock. But if you are far away from adding it to a new tank don’t worry about it. The main thing is to keep you aerobic bacteria in a healthy state. It will grow to the needs of the new tank. So I would actually dose liquid ammonia once a week, that way you won't have any detritus build up. It would be a completely different story if it was actual live rock. but since this is dry, this is how I would do it.
Amazing thank you, I will give that a go!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back