How to: Building an aquarium stand

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved this thread, we need more threads in diy like this. You Answered questions before they were asked and you were very detailed.
Thank you, Nitro

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great jedi! I really recommend that appliance epoxy paint on the inside. It has held up well over the last year.
I actually have that stuff on my 40 breeder reef stand, it's awesome stuff. Smells to high heaven though!! :D

20150817_232629.jpg

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final version, no frame, just the 1x poplar boards and some plywood for the top and inside floor, was reassured by a carpenter that it would hold no problem :)

25g%252520stand%252520frame.png

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and thanks for the detailed instructions!

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work jedi! Great looking stand
thank you! Lots and lots of work and little bits here and there of frustration (like the poplar boards not all being the same width, some were 1/16" off!) and some dirty words, but I love it. Now that I am even better with the kreg jig, I want to either redo the stand for my 40g breeder or split it into two different tanks. and make similar stands to this one. It never ends! :)

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jedimasterben did you buy frosted glass panels or spray your own? I wish I would of found a source for frosted glass and may switch them out in the future
It is actually 1/4" acrylic that I sanded with 150 grit on a palm sander. I was considering glass and then using a frosted film on it, but my daughter will be mobile soon, so I figured I'd better use acrylic :)

New2dareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking for opinions. I'm building a stand for a 180 gal, 6'x2'x2' I'm thin linking of spanning with a 2x6 and a 2x4 glued and screwed together.
Am I thinking crazy or not?

OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking for opinions. I'm building a stand for a 180 gal, 6'x2'x2' I'm thin linking of spanning with a 2x6 and a 2x4 glued and screwed together.
Am I thinking crazy or not?
I've seen a lot of people use 4x4's for the corners of tanks that size. The rest either 2x4 or 2x6.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not glue two pieces of 3/4" ply together to make a 1 1/2" header that will be twice as strong. Most homes are now constructed with manufactured joist. The web of those joist is 3/4" plywood and the joist are stronger and more ridged than the old 2" x 12" joist.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not glue two pieces of 3/4" ply together to make a 1 1/2" header that will be twice as strong. Most homes are now constructed with manufactured joist. The web of those joist is 3/4" plywood and the joist are stronger and more ridged than the old 2" x 12" joist.

I am also not a fan of 2/4's for the reason they take up a lot of space and also a soft wood. In new homes most of the board they are using is stranded, and is used in a covered environment. Stranded board is a pain to finish smooth. If plywood is to be used, myself I would seal all edges of the plywood with finish before assembly to keep the plywood layers from separating if water leaks from the tank. In my cabinet build I used very little glue, except for the side board glue up, tenon joints on the drawer front and dovetailed drawer boxes. The rest of the construction is 4/4 mahogany, birch ply inside, pocket holes, and 8 pin nail for the bottom quarter round molding. Both @jedimasterben and @kevantheman35 built great cabinets, I really like the trim work and the doors on both. Nice work

OP
OP
kevantheman35

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also not a fan of 2/4's for the reason they take up a lot of space and also a soft wood. In new homes most of the board they are using is stranded, and is used in a covered environment. Stranded board is a pain to finish smooth. If plywood is to be used, myself I would seal all edges of the plywood with finish before assembly to keep the plywood layers from separating if water leaks from the tank. In my cabinet build I used very little glue, except for the side board glue up, tenon joints on the drawer front and dovetailed drawer boxes. The rest of the construction is 4/4 mahogany, birch ply inside, pocket holes, and 8 pin nail for the bottom quarter round molding. Both @jedimasterben and @kevantheman35 built great cabinets, I really like the trim work and the doors on both. Nice work
I like you're technique and may adopt it in future builds :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like you're technique and may adopt it in future builds :)
Thank you, it is a strong and quick way to build and box without waiting for the glue to dry:D

XtremeATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kevan for sharing your work with everyone. I decided to build a stand and use your design for my current tank. Just about finished just have to do the doors and get the glass etched.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

New2dareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm trying to accomplish is not having a center leg for my 180gal. I build sets for television and movies so I understand the layered plywood, glu-lam, silent joist, strength factors. 2x6 and 2x4 are much easier to sand and finish.
I'm looking for easy access to equipment. Not getting any younger

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back