I need some advice on algae growth as a new tank owner

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nacarious snail, turbo snail, fire shrimp, and an emerald crab to try and keep my tank clean. But it doesnt seem like they can keep up with the algae growth/ maintainence. Its 13.5 gallon tank and the turbo was put in 4 days ago and not much has been cleaned besides a little here and there off the rock. It doesnt seem like my nacarious snail is doing much with cleaning the sand. Any suggestions, opinions, knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

received_600706208881253.jpeg

FishDaddy09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nacarious snail, turbo snail, fire shrimp, and an emerald crab to try and keep my tank clean. But it doesnt seem like they can keep up with the algae growth/ maintainence. Its 13.5 gallon tank and the turbo was put in 4 days ago and not much has been cleaned besides a little here and there off the rock. It doesnt seem like my nacarious snail is doing much with cleaning the sand. Any suggestions, opinions, knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

I’m in the same boat at you!

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 69

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You wont see the amount of work your CUC puts in overnight but they are in fact working. Your tank looks like it’s going through the early parts of the ugly stage, is it a few weeks old? Have you been doing water changes regularly? WCs are a very effective and easy way to manage excess nutrients that will otherwise fuel algae growth. I think you could probably also add a couple more snails, maybe a trochus and some ceriths

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are carnivorous, but they do help turn the sand over helping to keep it clean. As stated above, you are going to want a variety, cerith, trochus, astraea, dwarf cerith, they all have their place. And results are going to take time. If they can't keep up, clean the glass more often so they focus elsewhere, if still not, add more.
New tanks though are going to be all over the place before they balance out, so don't loose hope and be patient.

OP
OP
friendlyfisherman

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont see the amount of work your CUC puts in overnight but they are in fact working. Your tank looks like it’s going through the early parts of the ugly stage, is it a few weeks old? Have you been doing water changes regularly? WCs are a very effective and easy way to manage excess nutrients that will otherwise fuel algae growth. I think you could probably also add a couple more snails, maybe a trochus and some ceriths

I did read that, i just figured hence the name turbo snail it would be a lil quicker. but it is a snail so i shouldnt have expected turbo speed lol. My tank is 2 months old tho. I have done my WCs but i feel like i dont quite know the proper technique yet. I did just order a nicer electric water cleaner/vacuum so im thinking thatll help alot. Thank you for your input lil sumpin!

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also, clean bright white rock is NOT normal, so don't worry too much. Your rock and every other surface is now a battle ground for a slew of bacteria, algae, dinos, and loads others. One or the other will start winning the tug of war before it all hits equilibrium and looks 'clean'. But even then under pure white it will be all sorts of different shades of colors, full of life.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping nutrients low (phosphates & nitrates) will help. But to be honest, any new tank with new rock will grow algae. Once the rocks have been covered with other things, like coraline, then that will help. CUC will help maintain, but the biggest help would be to try to maintain lower nutrient levels.

Lots of other things you can do, like having a HOB refugium or Algae scrubber, etc.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did read that, i just figured hence the name turbo snail it would be a lil quicker. but it is a snail so i shouldnt have expected turbo speed lol. My tank is 2 months old tho. I have done my WCs but i feel like i dont quite know the proper technique yet. I did just order a nicer electric water cleaner/vacuum so im thinking thatll help alot. Thank you for your input lil sumpin!

You got it. Welcome to R2R! You’ll find answers to almost everything you can think of over here. Dont be afraid to ask questions but also make sure to do as much research on your own.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is gonna comment how his nephthea looks way too close to the nem, and will probably end up getting toasted by it?

I think the tank is honestly too small for a nem, as they love to move around sometimes, and leave a wake of dead corals as they do.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more CUC including hermits and maybe an urchin too. If it was mine aquarium it would be around +10 algae eating snails and +10 hermits of different species however - IMO - is not the best to use Clibanarius tricolor.

I´m sorry to say - the old saying about stay low in nutrients will not help you with the algae issue - its only a fair amount of grazers that will help. Algae will grow on lower nutrient concentration that your nem needs for its photosynthesis - to zero the nutrients will starve your nem. Because you already have introduced a nem - you can´t use the light period and intensity in order to control your algae - its only a decent CUC that can help you. Your algae population have also established itself and it will double its biomass in lesser than 24 hours. The CUC need to be as large as it be able to eat at least the daily production of algae. As it looks on the pictures - you may need an urchin in order to win the battle.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
friendlyfisherman

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How old is that system? Looks new? Nem

No one is gonna comment how his nephthea looks way too close to the nem, and will probably end up getting toasted by it?

I think the tank is honestly too small for a nem, as they love to move around sometimes, and leave a wake of dead corals as they do.
Thank you for the insight Naekuh. i have had them together for about a week now and no signs of distruptions. I will definitely keep my eye on him. The nem has moved a few times when i first introduced him but i beleive he has found his settling spot and seems to be happy from my knowledge.

Thanks again
FriendlyFishermen

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Nassurius snails eat dietrus in the sand and climb the glass at night. The only thing that will get the Algae off of the top of the bed is vacuuming it and keeping it stirred. It will eventually pass. Just count your blessings that it's not red with bubble strands.

OP
OP
friendlyfisherman

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassurius snails eat dietrus in the sand and climb the glass at night. The only thing that will get the Algae off of the top of the bed is vacuuming it and keeping it stirred. It will eventually pass. Just count your blessings that it's not red with bubble strands.
Thanks Mike for the info. What does it mean if it is red and I get bubble strands ?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said, options are limit ed because of the Nem. You have less levers around lighting and nutrient control.

Tank might be a little small for an urchin, but would probably be ok for a tuxedo. That and throw a bunch of snails at it.

Also, this is normal ugly stage stuff every tank goes through. People say wait for the Nem because you still will get a decent amount of outbreaks and your parameters will be like a roller coaster.

Some of that green you see will turn into correline. Others will stay like that forever, which is fine because under blue light it looks fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back