I'd like this skimmer purchase to be more successful than all the others. (advice needed)

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of buying skimmers, and to be honest I know it's mostly my own fault. I keep buying used/cheap skimmers, or niche style things, and they just never worked out for me. I've had a couple AquaC (Remora and EV-180) and a generic cone skimmer in my previous tank. Current tank has a Bubble Magus Z-7 which I've only been marginally happy with.

I'm heavily considering a Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT, but people have always raved about a good recirculating skimmer, so I'm also considering the Reef Octopus Classic 150-EXT for the greater control. If they made a Regal or Elite 150-EXT I'd have already broken out the credit card, and the Regal 200-EXT is just too much skimmer for my tank. I'm not concerned with having to source another feed pump for a recirc, and I actually do have a bit of a budget this time around. It's a shame they discontinued the Regal 170-EXT instead of updating it with the varios pumps.

So I'm a bit torn which way to go and could use some advice.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat. I was happy with my Reef Octopus Recirculating but matching my new setup puts me over $1k and I can’t fathom that. If it was my main filtration? Sure. I have room for in sump this go around.

I reset my expectations, researched a lot (including places like alibaba) and found that these skimmers are mostly all the same. Watch the lph on the air intake and general size. Pump quality is a factor but honestly I can buy a $500 off brand skimmer and 5 extra pumps or one Reef Octopus for the same price.

Im going with the Simplicity (500 model). It’s around $500, the LPH is appropriately sized. If it dies I’ll laugh and buy a new pump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are simmers that have been good for 20+ years and still are as good, or better, than anything out there. Why not consider one of those? Any old ASM or EuroReef body with a new Sicce PSK pump are outstanding. LifeReef are excellent. Tunze make great in-sump skimmers (not the square in-tank ones).

Xombie2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an INT-150 it’s hard to dial in but nice. For the money I think I preferred my SCA 302 more. It only had one impeller change in about 8 years of use.

OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of replies in a short time, so might take me a bit to dig into them all.

What aspect(s) aren't you generally happy about?

Most of the skimmers I've had in the past basically only had the ability to control the water level in the skimmer, and it's been very hard to find the sweet-spot between "not skimming at all" and "overflowing". Even when I can get my current one to skim properly, within a day or two it needs to be adjusted again. I'm not as concerned with being fancy, I'm just tired of turning the ONLY knob a miniscule amount and having havoc as the result.

What size tank? Bio load?

150 gallon tank, with a 40-breeder converted into a sump. Bio-load these days is probably 'medium', but the corals are starting to grow decently and I do have to plan for more feeding and nutrients.

There are simmers that have been good for 20+ years and still are as good, or better, than anything out there. Why not consider one of those? Any old ASM or EuroReef body with a new Sicce PSK pump are outstanding. LifeReef are excellent. Tunze make great in-sump skimmers (not the square in-tank ones).

I'm not against re-pumping an older skimmer, I just don't know which ones are worth looking at and the used market is such a crapshoot. I've ended up with a lot of junk in the past going that route, so I'd be hesitant to pay the top-dollar prices that everybody seems to want these days. If i could find a used 150-EXT classic or 170-EXT regal for cheap, I'd be nice and happy.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of buying skimmers, and to be honest I know it's mostly my own fault. I keep buying used/cheap skimmers, or niche style things, and they just never worked out for me. I've had a couple AquaC (Remora and EV-180) and a generic cone skimmer in my previous tank. Current tank has a Bubble Magus Z-7 which I've only been marginally happy with.

I'm heavily considering a Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT, but people have always raved about a good recirculating skimmer, so I'm also considering the Reef Octopus Classic 150-EXT for the greater control. If they made a Regal or Elite 150-EXT I'd have already broken out the credit card, and the Regal 200-EXT is just too much skimmer for my tank. I'm not concerned with having to source another feed pump for a recirc, and I actually do have a bit of a budget this time around. It's a shame they discontinued the Regal 170-EXT instead of updating it with the varios pumps.

So I'm a bit torn which way to go and could use some advice.
A good question. My old tank had a HOB Deltec skimmer which was reliable, easy to clean and pulled out brown gunk. Expensive for some plastic with a pump! Now I have a Red Sea 300 skimmer. Expensive, constantly needs adjusting, but looks good tucked away in the sump. If it exists I would go for the quietest simple and unobtrusive set up.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A). What size tank do you have DT only,
If you do not size your skimmer to your DT I do not care if it is a Bubble King it will not
work effectively for your.

B) How deep is the water, some skimmers like deep water 10'' some like shallow 7 or less, get that wrong and again problems.
How much room do you need?
Again get this wrong and you will be selling it.

C) What is your budget? everyone wants the best until they have to pay for it,
Get this wrong and your spouse maybe mad at you.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 150 int elite for 4 years. The adjustable pump is great for tweaking dry vs wet skim.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 150 I would go with a Tunze 9430dc, not cheap, but if you want a skimmer you turn on and it just plain skims then its worth looking at. You do not need to turn it off when feeding or working in the tank.

Pretty much the same with Lifereef skimmers except its a venturi.

I run a 9410dc on my 45 frag system.
Here it is. I have not cleaned the barrel for well over a year and it just keeps skimming.

I also run a 9430dc on my 80g, 120 total growout system.

Both skimmers are in 40 breeders with no baffles.

20230121_194116.jpg

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most of the skimmers I've had in the past basically only had the ability to control the water level in the skimmer, and it's been very hard to find the sweet-spot between "not skimming at all" and "overflowing". Even when I can get my current one to skim properly, within a day or two it needs to be adjusted again. I'm not as concerned with being fancy, I'm just tired of turning the ONLY knob a miniscule amount and having havoc as the result.

150 gallon tank, with a 40-breeder converted into a sump. Bio-load these days is probably 'medium', but the corals are starting to grow decently and I do have to plan for more feeding and nutrients.

I'm not against re-pumping an older skimmer, I just don't know which ones are worth looking at and the used market is such a crapshoot. I've ended up with a lot of junk in the past going that route, so I'd be hesitant to pay the top-dollar prices that everybody seems to want these days. If i could find a used 150-EXT classic or 170-EXT regal for cheap, I'd be nice and happy.

I would get the 200. I have a 150SSS on 70 gallons of actual water volume with only four fish and it pulls out nasty stuff all day long.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @jda noted widen your search / research. Also factor in an upgrade or two. You can always alternate days you run the skimmer or use a DC pump and lower the power. I purchased a skimmer in 1999 and still using it today. It managed a 40 gallon, 100 gallon, current 210, and will be used on the next upgrade which will be 300 - 350'ish.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the first step is to widen the net of research. Then factor in growth - we all say no but end up at some point. Then see which one fits best your budget and goals. There really is no reason to buy new skimmers unless we the hobbyist broke them.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquamaxx cone s series is pretty good

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second ASM skimmers. I bought one 17 years ago for my then 75 gallon tank planning on a 120g upgrade. Well, kids, divorce and all that fell apart. I used the ASM on that 75 for close to 5 years and then it spent the next 12ish years in storage. That thing is running again, with zero new parts added, on a 165g (200 total) system now and works 'fine'. Could I use a bit more skimming? Maybe - but I am not paying $1000+ to do it. I'd buy ASM again in a heartbeat.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, you have to size it right. An oversized skimmed will do just what you said, not skim then overflow needs to be adjusted constantly. Been there, done that.

Look for one that you can adjust the air and water height. DC pump is silent and adjustable.

I have a simplicity 240 on a 90 with heavy bio load and once you break it in and dial it it it just works. Never have to mess with the settings. Of course you have to empty and clean the cup but that is a given. Reasonable price and good quality. You might want to email them or call for advice on size. They are very responsive. I had a question and they got back to me within hours. For a "budget" skimmer, highly recommend.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASM G3 body with a sicce PSK 600 pulls all kinds of junk in my tank. New Tunze 9410 at $375 on ebay. If you have more room, ASM G4 body with a PSK 1000 is great too. You might have to look a bit for a body. Order a pump, mess with some uniseals or fittings and you have a great skimmer for about $200.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 57 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back