If you could go back and tell your reef newbie self something, what would it be?

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of advice, or a lesson along the way... If you had the opportunity to go back in time with the reefing knowledge that you have today, what would you tell your newbie (or noob-y..) self?

I'm curious to hear your experiences!

Nft Noob GIF by Digital Pratik

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of advice, or a lesson along the way... If you had the opportunity to go back in time with the reefing knowledge that you have today, what would you tell your newbie (or noob-y..) self?

I'm curious to hear your experiences!

Nft Noob GIF by Digital Pratik
Some folk get stuck at the top of mount stupid, be better than that;
Screenshot_20240522-165633.png

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Get a heater controller sooner, and use the two-heater method from the beginning.
  2. Don't waste time with intermediate tanks. Save up to go straight to the biggest size your space and long-term budget allows.
  3. Don't bother with an external overflow that relies on a siphon.
  4. When you're swapping tanks, don't skimp out on storage containers. Have more than you think you'll need, and have more pre-mixed water on hand.
  5. Don't use dry rock.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Get a heater controller sooner, and use the two-heater method from the beginning.
  2. Don't waste time with intermediate tanks. Save up to go straight to the biggest size your space and long-term budget allows.
  3. Don't bother with an external overflow that relies on a siphon.
  4. When you're swapping tanks, don't skimp out on storage containers. Have more than you think you'll need, and have more pre-mixed water on hand.
  5. Don't use dry rock.
Couldn't like it more than once, so I had to reply also. All 5 of these things if you're new or not, brilliant.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 49.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 11 8.5%
Back