If you could go back and tell your reef newbie self something, what would it be?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't like it more than once, so I had to reply also. All 5 of these things if you're new or not, brilliant.
Every single one of them represents a painful and expensive lesson. :downcast-face-with-sweat: Newbie reefers, read that list and follow it... you'll save yourself hundreds or thousands of dollars in dead livestock.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy nice test kits (Hanna or Salifert) to start off with
Oh yeah, that's so true. My husband and I were running all around town last week trying to find an accurate testing kit to no avail...Lesson learned. :grimacing-face:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are NOT a carpenter.

As an add-on to this:

You CAN become a carpenter. But - make sure you win the lottery twice, because wood and tools are just as expensive as tanks and corals.

In other words: If you think you're going to save money by making your own stand, you might. If you build 9 more stands to break even first.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of this T-8 fixture and get Radions, in about 30 years.
Time Machine Marty GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know what my major mistake where but If I had to say, don't stop doing WT if you have been doing them every week. Took me a while to re balance my tank after being lazy for a month.

Don't buy used tank. Only used gear. They all suck and NONE, I repeat NONE compares to a pristine looking tank. You will be looking at it often. DO NOT cheap out.

650Bob08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
Build in redundancy to your system and keep critical components on hand as spares. It's worth the peace of mind.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don’t be in such a rush to nuke the tank and start over. You’re already months in. Stay the course and just fight the storm till you beat it.

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't lie to Yourself and Spouse promising that Tank #2, 3, 4, 5 etc., can be built with "all the old extra equipment lying around", or "will be done with cheaper equipment", or "will just use Home Depot or Lowes lights" or "will just be a low tech tank".

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 7.9%
Back