OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the aiptasia came from the TBS rock? looks like do did not add anything else...

I have used it in the past, thinking of seeding the tank with some rubble.
yes. but in general there were only 2. I F-Aipt'd it 4 months ago and it was gone but then came back as 4. Reality is you will get aiptasia through corals. It's just what you wish to do to get rid of them. It's not yet worth Berg's but that's how I will get rid of them in the end.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock is incredible. I don't know if I could get anything like it here in Canada.

That scape is awesome! I'm still not sure what to do for mine. Lots of caves and open spaces but it really depends on the rock pieces I have! I went with just the dry rock and will seed from my current tank but man, I just love the biodiversity you're getting. I don't know if I've seen anything like it yet.

Do you think the aiptasia came from the TBS rock? looks like do did not add anything else...

I have used it in the past, thinking of seeding the tank with some rubble.
My rock (gulf live) came with plenty of aiptasia.
yes. but in general there were only 2. I F-Aipt'd it 4 months ago and it was gone but then came back as 4. Reality is you will get aiptasia through corals. It's just what you wish to do to get rid of them. It's not yet worth Berg's but that's how I will get rid of them in the end.
I was told there aren’t any aiptasia in Florida - was so excited about my live rock I started feeding the one little anemone I found on it haha. Fast forward a month I now have many many more. Duh. I keep on top of it so it’s only a minor nuisance compared to the many benefits.

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpeg
    IMG_1681.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock (gulf live) came with plenty of aiptasia.

I was told there aren’t any aiptasia in Florida - was so excited about my live rock I started feeding the one little anemone I found on it haha. Fast forward a month I now have many many more. Duh. I keep on top of it so it’s only a minor nuisance compared to the many benefits.
I think I remember reading somewhere that a company was posting that their rock doesn't contain Aiptasia that is from the gulf. Maybe if there is 1 aiptasia per 10 pounds it's consider 0?

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I remember reading somewhere that a company was posting that their rock doesn't contain Aiptasia that is from the gulf. Maybe if there is 1 aiptasia per 10 pounds it's consider 0?
I read it on here somewhere and believed it, doesn’t matter. I also have mantis and gorilla crabs which they (gulf live rock) were quite open about. Totally worth it though, the mantis have been an adventure and the rock and life on it is beautiful beyond my wildest dreams.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it on here somewhere and believed it, doesn’t matter. I also have mantis and gorilla crabs which they (gulf live rock) were quite open about. Totally worth it though, the mantis have been an adventure and the rock and life on it is beautiful beyond my wildest dreams.
Finally saw the mantis twice today. It’s about 1.25-1.5” and red.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1918.jpeg
    IMG_1918.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added more CUC and mermaids fans and fern calerpa. Tried cleaning up the bloom I had too. Waiting for a silica test kit to see if my rodi has a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waters still hazy but sand hasn’t browned like before. And I think this zebra snail will need to be monitored. Kind of big. Maybe I’ll vacation him to GHA island in the other pool to keep up with feeding.

IMG_1952.jpeg IMG_1971.jpeg IMG_1972.jpeg IMG_1970.jpeg IMG_1956.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems my bloom cleared up mostly. Thursday morning after water change to this morning. Saved a jug of my water to test for silicates of what I added. It’s also possible that the heavy vacuuming in the water change stirred up something.

IMG_1912.jpeg IMG_1911.jpeg IMG_1985.jpeg IMG_1988.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's stunning!!! How do you keep her from Houdini-ing!?

(apologies if this was alerady covered in the previous pages)

1713798172716.png
There’s 32 lbs of weight on top (with notched PVC for the lid) and it’s hard to see but I have 1/4” egg crate on the overflow. Having eurobrace helps too so the screen is further out. Tank is much larger than the recommended too. She’s well fed and entertained.

IMG_2009.jpeg IMG_2010.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I offered her 2 oysters and she took them then threw them at me with a shot of warm water. 15 minutes later I offered a scallop and happily accepted. She came out this morning and took a stroll around the tank. Tried playing with a minion with her but wasn’t interested. And my bloom never came back after the last water change.

Attachments

• IMG_2102.jpeg
    IMG_2102.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2104.jpeg
    IMG_2104.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2101.jpeg
    IMG_2101.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 11

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I offered her 2 oysters and she took them then threw them at me with a shot of warm water. 15 minutes later I offered a scallop and happily accepted. She came out this morning and took a stroll around the tank. Tried playing with a minion with her but wasn’t interested. And my bloom never came back after the last water change.

This is just fascinating.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 2 peppermints are still in there. And in the other pond the little ORA Mandarin is growing. Got her at about 3/8” long and now at an inch. I’m assuming female since I don’t see the long spine on the dorsal fin. Eating PE Mysis and pods. Ordered a booster pump and another MP40. Thinking flow across the front from right to left and across the back left to right to make a slight swirl. And I absolutely hate these dumb margarita snails. I don’t know how they made it on the evolutionary chain. Just like Astrae they fall off the glass/rocks and can’t right themselves.

IMG_2129.jpeg IMG_2124.jpeg IMG_2135.jpeg IMG_2120.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back