Interceptor dosing acropora white bugs

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with interceptor for white acropora bugs? I used half tablet last night for 100 gallons. This was large dog tab so dose was about 11.5 mg milbemycin. I believe this worked out to about 1.3x the recommended dose for red bugs. This morning (about 10 hours later) I do see improved polyp extension on everything that seemed annoyed before dosing. I was able to still find one large white bug on a tennis though he wasn’t moving much.

I attached a pre treatment photo

DSC05745circled.jpeg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes they are dead but are still stuck to the skin. Some slight movement could be due to flow. If you see them skittering across the skin, they aren't all dead yet. I've never seen any left alive after the second dose. Follow original direction's and do three doses and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they are dead but are still stuck to the skin. Some slight movement could be due to flow. If you see them skittering across the skin, they aren't all dead yet. I've never seen any left alive after the second dose. Follow original direction's and do three doses and you should be good to go.
Thanks, it definitely knocked them way back but I’ve still been able to find a couple of the big ones on one Coral. Planning on a 3x dose once what’s supposed to be pure milbemycin shows up in the Mail. I can’t find a single one of the smaller ones that were previously present (and more active than these).

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you're going with ~1x treatment you need to do it 4-6 weeks in a row.

If you want to do a 1-time treatment I suggest going 5-8x. We do this every 3-6 months prophylactically and have no issues.

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to do a 1-time treatment I suggest going 5-8x. We do this every 3-6 months prophylactically and have no issues.
Is this with Milbemax (Milbe + Prazi) or just Inteceptor? And that’s at the dosage of 8.3mg/100G?

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've use spectrum (Milbe + Prazi ). I always considered a 11.5g (one large chew) per 300g a 1x dose.
I’ve just started dosing a 1x treatment in my system, should I do this for the 4-6 weeks? Will results be noticed straight away or will it wind down populations over that dosing period

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve just started dosing a 1x treatment in my system, should I do this for the 4-6 weeks? Will results be noticed straight away or will it wind down populations over that dosing period
I been doing the large single dose for so long that maybe someone else should respond in regard to multi week 1x dosing.

I can tell you that with the one large dose you will have some pod die off but nothing that won't rebound quickly. All Shrimp and crabs will die if they are not removed, which I am sure you know.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I been doing the large single dose for so long that maybe someone else should respond in regard to multi week 1x dosing.

I can tell you that with the one large dose you will have some pod die off but nothing that won't rebound quickly. All Shrimp and crabs will die if they are not removed, which I am sure you know.
Just curious, since you do it prophylactically, do you do this on an acro only grow out tank. Shrimp and crab as you mentioned need to be moved, but any affects on anemones or any LPS?

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious, since you do it prophylactically, do you do this on an acro only grow out tank. Shrimp and crab as you mentioned need to be moved, but any affects on anemones or any LPS?
Our systems are 90% SPS but always have torches and gonis in them (No anemone) .

Reef Management LLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where can I get interceptor? I'm having issues local in Connecticut finding it...

Thanks in advance

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

23mg Milbemycin oxime to what size water volume are you treating?

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive had them before and wiped them out totally with 10x the dosage. Killed off all bugs, pods and the shrimp I wasn’t able to catch to remove. Budgetpetcare.com has the chews without a prescription. They are out of Canada. The chews were just fine other than really clouding the water with the flavoring they add.
Jeff

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience as Jeff with white bugs. I tried a little over 1X (1 large dog tablet/300 gallons) with no effect but killed all shrimp, crabs, pods, etc. 2 tablets killed some bugs. 6 tablets seemed to kill all but survivors showed up a month later. 9 tablets (more than 10X) wiped them all out. I ordered from CanadaPetCare.com.

Keep in mind that each system & bug species are different and dose & clearance rates will vary.

Bob

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White bugs are stubborn little buggers. I am currently dealing with another outbreak as well. Nothing has been introduced to the tank since the last treatment several months ago, so I know there were survivors with the last round.
FWIW, I dosed 11.5mg once and then 23mg for approx 65 gallons about a week apart last time.

Only had one 11.5mg pill left, so started with that yesterday and it barely made a dent.
Upping the dosage to 34.5mg over the next two weeks and will report back.

Here's the current level of infection after one 11.5mg dose.
Most of those white spots there are bugs.
20231106_204253.jpg

Reef Management LLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White bugs are stubborn little buggers. I am currently dealing with another outbreak as well. Nothing has been introduced to the tank since the last treatment several months ago, so I know there were survivors with the last round.
FWIW, I dosed 11.5mg once and then 23mg for approx 65 gallons about a week apart last time.

Only had one 11.5mg pill left, so started with that yesterday and it barely made a dent.
Upping the dosage to 34.5mg over the next two weeks and will report back.

Here's the current level of infection after one 11.5mg dose.
Most of those white spots there are bugs.
20231106_204253.jpg
Where r u getting interceptor?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with interceptor for white acropora bugs? I used half tablet last night for 100 gallons. This was large dog tab so dose was about 11.5 mg milbemycin. I believe this worked out to about 1.3x the recommended dose for red bugs. This morning (about 10 hours later) I do see improved polyp extension on everything that seemed annoyed before dosing. I was able to still find one large white bug on a tennis though he wasn’t moving much.

I attached a pre treatment photo

DSC05745circled.jpeg

Those little turkey’s. Stealthy

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back