Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I finally have a few corals that I will probably have to trim soon
because of growth. (all common corals...waving hand anthelia, kenya tree, leather)
Will these be of any worth if I frag them and want to trade them or bring them to a
LFS for credit, or are they all so common that they are really not worth the effort.
If I couldn't get at least $5 credit, I don't think it would be worth it to me.
I suppose it would be worth the effort to give them away to new reefers to help
them starting out. (hopefully they would return the favor to someone else down the line).

Thanks,
Mike

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would frag them. Both to help my fellow reefers, and because we need to take care of mother nature and the things we get from her. Even though many corals are common, they are not abundant.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I consider some of those weed. Not to put local stores out of business but if and when I have enough of those I'd just give them away for free or trade for fresh liverock rubbles so I can attach more

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a local forum then I would at least try and post it. Its always good to help fellow reefers if they are new or like softie style tanks.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would frag and help out new reefers. I've had some experienced reefers ask for basic coral frags even.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even common corals are good to sell, trade, or just give away at your local club.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would frag them and try the LFS (or at least call to see). I would also check with your local reef club and see if there would be interest in doing a fragging demo. The frags could be given to people that attend.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post them to fellow reefers either for trade or for free.. it is always nice to help someone getting into the hobby... Heck, I trade monties and acropora for other corals or for beer, and of someone is new to the hobby I might even give a couple away depending on how old their tank is. :) I don't see a point in really making money off of people for corals.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral keepers need to start somewhere. Those are great corals for someone to start with and gives you a great opportunity to help out a fellow reefer.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I finally have a few corals that I will probably have to trim soon
because of growth. (all common corals...waving hand anthelia, kenya tree, leather)
Will these be of any worth if I frag them and want to trade them or bring them to a
LFS for credit, or are they all so common that they are really not worth the effort.
If I couldn't get at least $5 credit, I don't think it would be worth it to me.
I suppose it would be worth the effort to give them away to new reefers to help
them starting out. (hopefully they would return the favor to someone else down the line).

Thanks,
Mike

I think it would be very very tough to sell that stuff because most people buying in places like this are buying high end stuff that you cannot get at the LFS (Local Fish Store).

But you never know. I would not want to discourage you.

I think the best thing to do would be to trade them into the LFS as they cater to new people in the hobby who are interested in those corals.

Ask around as different stores do things differently - Some give cash (Although most would probably do Credit Only) some give a lot and some give next to nothing.

My LFS gives Half in Credit of what they are Selling the Corals for which I find to be a good deal.

Also the cheapest coral they sell is 10.00 so if you took your corals to my LFS you would get at least the 5.00 a Frag that you are looking for if not more.

So if you bring 10 Frags that they sell for 100.00 total you would get 50.00 in credit.

New people love that stuff.

I know plenty of people that would take a Frag of Xenia over a High End Chalice or Acro or Zoanthid (Not telling them the Value of Course).

If you said which of these would you pay 10.00 for (Xenia, Kenya Tree, Leather, etc.) or (Rastas, Pink Lemonade, Mummy Eye) they would pick the common ones that Advanced Collectors want nothing to do with.

Remember the LFS caters to New People and Tons of New People enter this Hobby Every Day.

The stuff you have would not sell at a Frag Swap but sell like Hot Cakes at the LFS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trading for beer, never thought of that.. I will get right on it. Lol
I have never fragged before, so it would be good practice even if I just give them away. Thanks for all your replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back