Is there a test to know what’s in Zeostart?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZEOstart is a carbon food source that promotes the reproduction of bacteria which are beneficial to the ZEOvit system. The bacteria will help maintain ultra low phosphate and nitrate.
If you have a high nutrient load and are just starting the ZEOvit system, start by dosing 2 mL per 250 gallons (net water volume) of water each day until nutrient levels drop. Subsequently, dose 1-2 mL per 250 gallons.

I’m just curious what could possibly be in zeostart. I actually just want to know if they use sugar.

How can I find out if zeostart uses sugar? I am willing to pay to find out (I’m that curious).

2mL/250 gallons? This carbon source NEEDS to be very concentrated. How else can 2mL/250gal effectively lower nutrients?

For perspective, 100mL of 5% vinegar currently reduces a few ppm of nitrate within a few days in MY 260 gallon tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's it smell like? o_O
My sense of smell doesn’t work, but many people on reefing forums say it smells like vinegar.

I cannot imagine 2mL of vinegar doing anything to a 250 gallon tank. There has got to be something else.

We do know that zeovit tanks are prone to cyano… Not sure if that’s a hint toward something. :)

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit. Admins, please delete this thread.
Why delete? I use zeovit. I would love to know what's in it. I am suspecting it has some sugars in it but that's just a feel good reason for me.

Also for what's it worth I can literally put a Cyano covered rock in my tank and watch it desintegrate while using zeostart.

Last edited:

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched this Cyano die over a couple of weeks after getting this rock from someone else's tank. This blasto is huge now.

Attachments

• 1AFA21E1-3CCD-48BB-AFAB-C2D22D7650EE.jpeg
    1AFA21E1-3CCD-48BB-AFAB-C2D22D7650EE.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 2ml for 250g actually work as advertised or do you need to use more? Maybe the labeling is.. generous.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 2ml for 250g actually work as advertised or do you need to use more? Maybe the labeling is.. generous.
I’m not sure. I never used zeostart.

But 2mL/250gal is the highest dose. I believe most zeo tanks get ULN with zeostart and the zeolites. I definitely hypothesize there is a more concentrated carbon source in zeostart, besides for ethanol/acetic acid.

The main reason I’m asking is because I heard sugar can cause browning, so I’m curious if zeostart has sugar (Zeovit corals are the opposite of brown IMO).

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody contacted me. I was just worried people would judge me for asking this question.

I still am curious about what is inside Zeostart. I just don’t want anyone to make fun of making of me for having another liquid carbon thread.
Bro I'm low key obsessed with liquid carbon. I'm pretty sure I couldn't run a reef without it and in particular zeovit. I believe it's an atrocity that a business is allowed to keep such a product secret. I think there is a few people who know what's in it and it's a shame they can't muster the guts to stand up to a corporation. Big sad.

Also don't be afraid of people making fun of you. People be laughing at my acro sorrounded by algae while they can't grow acros in their own tanks. I'm here to learn. Not buy 10k worth of equipment to prove I'm cool and then watch my corals die.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the ULN nature of zeo tanks. We used to think corals looked their best in 0 nutrients, we know better now.

Corals look their best when they are close to death. Ask anyone that has had a major RTN issue.

Thats what zeo does, bring them to the brink of death. But leave just enough to not kill them.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure. I never used zeostart.

But 2mL/250gal is the highest dose. I believe most zeo tanks get ULN with zeostart and the zeolites. I definitely hypothesize there is a more concentrated carbon source in zeostart, besides for ethanol/acetic acid.

The main reason I’m asking is because I heard sugar can cause browning, so I’m curious if zeostart has sugar (Zeovit corals are the opposite of brown IMO).
A maintenance dose I would consider around 1ml per 100 gal so that's pretty accurate imo and experience. It's not the zeostart that causes browinving it's the zeofood. Aminos. I'm learning more about Aminos and seeing that it's a form of nitrogen so it's basically a nitrogen fuel for any bad and good things. Need to go very slow with the zeofood.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the ULN nature of zeo tanks. We used to think corals looked their best in 0 nutrients, we know better now.

Corals look their best when they are close to death. Ask anyone that has had a major RTN issue.

Thats what zeo does, bring them to the brink of death. But leave just enough to not kill them.
Yes and no. All zeostart does is lower nutrients. Then you need to feed the corals so they don't starve. If you don't feed them they will pale out.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also also, i know i sound like a big zeovit fanboy but I'm really not. The product just works. I'm interested in aquaforest products but I haven't tried them yet, if there was a company that disclosed what was in their product and it worked as well as zeovit, i would jump on it in a second.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious what could possibly be in zeostart. I actually just want to know if they use sugar.

How can I find out if zeostart uses sugar? I am willing to pay to find out (I’m that curious).

2mL/250 gallons? This carbon source NEEDS to be very concentrated. How else can 2mL/250gal effectively lower nutrients?

For perspective, 100mL of 5% vinegar currently reduces a few ppm of nitrate within a few days in MY 260 gallon tank.
Is this Zeostart 3?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a DIY test for sugars:

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a DIY test for sugars:

Cool stuff, thanks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back