Is there a test to know what’s in Zeostart?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick YouTube search.

Unless zeovit decided to use a simple sugar like glucose or fructose, it will be an incomplete experiment. A negative result won’t tell us for certain that there isn’t any sugar, unfortunately.

Let's see what happens then we can pursue what the possibilities might be. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see what happens then we can pursue what the possibilities might be. :)
Results are in.

For the test I added 4mL of zeostart and 1 mL of Benedict’s solution.

As a comparison, I made a 4mL solution of glucose and added 1mL of benedict’s solution to it.

I placed both vials inside a hot beaker of water.

The zeostart does not contain any simple sugars. You can note the glucose‘s orange color change, while the zeostart3 has no change in color (blue)
image.jpg

image.jpg

Left is zeostart (no change in color) while the glucose is orange.

What’s the next step, @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

I can’t give up this easily. We only just started!

@Dan_P @taricha ;)

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ethanol at 100-proof or higher is extremely flammable. So I'd assume since its such a potent dose of carbon, this makes the most sense to me.

Looks like Amazon has 200-proof ethanol, lol... But denatured so probably not suitable for our tanks.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ethanol at 100-proof or higher is extremely flammable. So I'd assume since its such a potent dose of carbon, this makes the most sense to me.

Looks like Amazon has 200-proof ethanol, lol... But denatured so probably not suitable for our tanks.
Do you have instructions for me to follow? For example, should I put a few drops in a shot-glass and try lighting it with a match?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a cooking pot, put a piece of paper towel with a little splash of zeostart and throw a match in, probably best to do this out in the back yard lol. When the match hits the inside of the pot and makes a "WOOSH" sound followed by a huge flame, then you know its flammable. If nothing really happens, then not flammable. Of course, this is what I would do and I'm a bit of a risk taker so use all the pre-cautions required to not hurt yourself.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a cooking pot, put a piece of paper towel with a little splash of zeostart and throw a match in, probably best to do this out in the back yard lol. When the match hits the inside of the pot and makes a "WOOSH" sound followed by a huge flame, then you know its flammable. If nothing really happens, then not flammable. Of course, this is what I would do and I'm a bit of a risk taker so use all the pre-cautions required to not hurt yourself.
I’m also kind of a risk taker (I’m a goody-two-shoes.) Let me do this. What’s the worst that can happen, eh?

I’ll do this next to a hose outside. I’ll report back. :D

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I completed the flammability test.

Edit. It wasn’t flammable. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, looks like its not flammable.
Well darn.

I‘d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed and discouraged by continuing zeovit. It feels pretty sketchy and sleazy.

I am still invested in figuring out what’s inside , but I am reconsidering this for sure.

The only reason I’m going zeovit is because I want to go ULN with as little risk of dinos as possible. Seems like I’m just wasting my time with this system when some folks noted that as long as I don’t drop my nutrients too fast the risk of Dinos isn’t as prevalent.

I am definitely still set on going ULN. I just need to figure out if I really need zeovit to do this. I’m just not happy that it’s taking this much effort to find out what, if any, secret ingredient is inside. I think it should be a right to know what’s going in my tank.

Hmmm.

I don’t know what’s worse, to keep experimenting to find out the magical zeovit carbon source, or to end up learning that it’s nothing more than diluted vinegar that is way overmarked.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well darn.

I‘d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed and discouraged by continuing zeovit. It feels pretty sketchy and sleazy.

I am still invested in figuring out what’s inside , but I am reconsidering this for sure.

The only reason I’m going zeovit is because I want to go ULN with as little risk of dinos as possible. Seems like I’m just wasting my time with this system when some folks noted that as long as I don’t drop my nutrients too fast the risk of Dinos isn’t as prevalent.

I am definitely still set on going ULN. I just need to figure out if I really need zeovit to do this. I’m just not happy that it’s taking this much effort to find out what, if any, secret ingredient is inside. I think it should be a right to know what’s going in my tank.

Hmmm.

I don’t know what’s worse, to keep experimenting to find out the magical zeovit carbon source, or to end up learning that it’s nothing more than diluted vinegar that is way overmarked.
Consider this. There is no secret special ingredient in zeovit. You can probably make the same system using DIY additives and other companies products. And thats ok, fantastic even, doesn't mean that zeovit does not work. Since you have the products you might as well use them. We have all seen the results of peoples tanks that use these products. We are finally learning more about whats in them thanks to people like you and the more we may realize its less about the brand and more about the actual ingredients. If you need any guidance with using zeovit let me know and ill be more than happy to show you how I do it. It's ridiculously easy once you get the hang of it and you have some direction. Once you run out of the zeovit product just replace that product with something else you feel will work the same. The magic isn't the brand, its in the ingredients and the consistency of use.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this. There is no secret special ingredient in zeovit. You can probably make the same system using DIY additives and other companies products. And thats ok, fantastic even, doesn't mean that zeovit does not work. Since you have the products you might as well use them. We have all seen the results of peoples tanks that use these products. We are finally learning more about whats in them thanks to people like you and the more we may realize its less about the brand and more about the actual ingredients. If you need any guidance with using zeovit let me know and ill be more than happy to show you how I do it. It's ridiculously easy once you get the hang of it and you have some direction. Once you run out of the zeovit product just replace that product with something else you feel will work the same. The magic isn't the brand, its in the ingredients and the consistency of use.
Very true. I still will keep the overall basis of zeovit: NSW parameters, high flow, good skimming, high lighting, high import, high export, and weekly water changes. I also agree with not using GFO, as zeovit suggests, since it can strip the nutrients too quickly which may (or may not) change the biome negatively.

It seems like a solid plan which I do accept.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe test for sucrose with the Benedicts and HCl:

Is it important to know how much HCl and NaOH I need to use? It just says “dilute” and “neutralize”

I know for certain that all I need is the sample (zeostart3), Benedict, acid (HCl), base (NaOH), and a heat source. I have all of the above; I need to know how much of acid and base.

I will do more research to see if I can find some additional info on the solution concentrations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it important to know how much HCl and NaOH I need to use? It just says “dilute” and “neutralize”

I know for certain that all I need is the sample (zeostart3), Benedict, acid (HCl), base (NaOH), and a heat source. I have all of the above; I need to know how much of acid and base.

I will do more research to see if I can find some additional info on the solution concentrations.

I don’t know, but my guess is that it’s not critical since the places I saw it were vague.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, but my guess is that it’s not critical since the places I saw it were vague.
The three trials on the left are with zeostart.

The one on the right was with sucrose (Table sugar).

I dunno, I don’t think there’s sucrose in zeostart.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weird looking vial on the right side of the zeostart trial was my first attempt. I don’t think I added enough Benedict’s solution. With the sucrose trial, it was clear that it had sucrose.

I tried 2 more times to replicate the results of the sucrose. I wanted nothing more to prove that zeostart had sugar (or something) in it…but I was left even more curious (and disappointed).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back