Is there a test to know what’s in Zeostart?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2 more times to replicate the results of the sucrose. I wanted nothing more to prove that zeostart had sugar (or something) in it…but I was left even more curious (and disappointed).

That’s often happens in research. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s often happens in research. :)
Here’s what @JimWelsh said when I private messaged him on another forum:

Sugar is going to be one of the most concentrated forms of carbon available for carbon dosing. If is smells like vinegar, it may be more concentrated than normal grocery-store vinegar. Glacial acetic acid is basically pure acetic acid, but is incredibly thick and insanely strong smelling of vinegar. They certainly aren't using that stuff, but it may be more concentrated vinegar than the grocery store stuff.

You might try googling "qualitative test for sugar" as a starting point, if you really want to know if there's sugar in it.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I know and tested ZeoStart3 does not contain any type of sugar or alcohol as organic carbon source. There is acetic acid but not very concentrated and small amount of organic compound probably used as preservative, because acetic acid is not very concentrated. There is some iron in it, you can check with Red Sea test for iron. There is ammonia source probably ammonium chloride- you can test with adding small amount sodium hydroxide - will produce ammonia and you can smell it. So I think it is mostly vinegar+ ammonium chloride + iron and some preservatives, there could be other trace elements also but I did not tested.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I know and tested ZeoStart3 does not contain any type of sugar or alcohol as organic carbon source. There is acetic acid but not very concentrated and small amount of organic compound probably used as preservative, because acetic acid is not very concentrated. There is some iron in it, you can check with Red Sea test for iron. There is ammonia source probably ammonium chloride- you can test with adding small amount sodium hydroxide - will produce ammonia and you can smell it. So I think it is mostly vinegar+ ammonium chloride + iron and some preservatives, there could be other trace elements also but I did not tested.
That makes it sound like they are taking the same approach as Plus NP then, or maaaybe bacto balance. Zeovit is a uln system right? Would make sense if there is something to tripic marins carbon dosing system.

Including a not reduced nitrogen source is what I am gethering with the combination of some carbon.

I don't really know what I am talking about at a chemical level, just what I am peacing together.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Including a not reduced nitrogen source is what I am gethering with the combination of some carbon.

I don't really know what I am talking about at a chemical level, just what I am peacing together.

What do you mean by a not reduced nitrogen source?

I presume from the second paragraph that you do not mean it as a chemist means it.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by a not reduced nitrogen source?

I presume from the second paragraph that you do not mean it as a chemist means it.
In the way that nitrate is the useless end of the nitrogen cycle, I've recently seen someone refer to it as "reduced" in this state, where it needs to be fixated in order to be used by most organisms.

But I've gotten that info from people responding to posts, so that may not be correct.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I've gotten that info from people responding to posts, so that may not be correct.

It’s not.
Chemically speaking, reduced is the opposite of oxidized.
Nitrate is the most oxidized form of nitrogen we encounter in reef tanks (oxidation state = +5), and ammonia is the most reduced (oxidation state = -3).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oil rig

oxidation is losing
reduction is gaining

(losing/gaining electrons)

Right? So, Nitrate has less electrons than ammonia?

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes it sound like they are taking the same approach as Plus NP then, or maaaybe bacto balance. Zeovit is a uln system right? Would make sense if there is something to tripic marins carbon dosing system.
Zeovit is a ULN system yes. But dont think ZeoStart3 is similar to TM Plus NP - which they say is "highly concentrated phosphate and nitrogen solution". ZeoStart is mostly ammonium additive used to start N-cycle in new aquarium similar to Dr.Tims ammonium chloride solution. I personally don't think the small amount of vinegar in ZeoStart could contribute with significant amount of organic carbon - they recommend only 1-2 drops per 25 gal water.
There are other KZ products which are used to add nutrients - like Coral Vitalizer

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oil rig

oxidation is losing
reduction is gaining

(losing/gaining electrons)

Right? So, Nitrate has less electrons than ammonia?
:) not exactly
here some good reading about oxidation and reduction

from it: Oxidation occurs when the oxidation number of an atom becomes larger. Reduction occurs when the oxidation number of an atom becomes smaller.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the way that nitrate is the useless end of the nitrogen cycle, I've recently seen someone refer to it as "reduced" in this state, where it needs to be fixated in order to be used by most organisms.
:) Nope, nitrate is not useless end of N-cycle, actually most of the plants and algae are using nitrates as nitrogen source in the process called nitrogen assimilation. Nitrate being highest oxidation form of nitrogen needs to be reduced to ammonium in plant's cells in order to be used in this assimilation process.
So nitrate is "not reduced" but needs to be reduced to ammonia in order to be used by plants and algae.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit is a ULN system yes. But dont think ZeoStart3 is similar to TM Plus NP - which they say is "highly concentrated phosphate and nitrogen solution". ZeoStart is mostly ammonium additive used to start N-cycle in new aquarium similar to Dr.Tims ammonium chloride solution. I personally don't think the small amount of vinegar in ZeoStart could contribute with significant amount of organic carbon - they recommend only 1-2 drops per 25 gal water.
There are other KZ products which are used to add nutrients - like Coral Vitalizer
Are you not confusing zeostart and zeofood? Zeofood is to be dosed by drops.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not confusing zeostart and zeofood? Zeofood is to be dosed by drops.
No I am not confusing them, but you are wright they are recommending now maximum dose of 2 ml per 1000L which is 0.2 ml per 100L, not sure how many drops is this probably 4-5.
My point was several drops of vinegar in 100 l (25 gal) is not significant source of organic carbon.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back