is this how loud my protein skimmer should be?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't get me wrong, I love the skimmer because I finally got it Tuned up in terms of working, and it collects a lot of gunky water which I measure. When I measure the collection cup, it's always high in nitrates and nitrites. And then when I measure the actual tank it's much lower in nitrates and nitrites. So I know this skimmer is not a scammer as I first suspected and it is doing what I paid for. But I just don't like the noise. It sounds like a steamboat. having this skimmer on somewhat takes away from the tranquility of the tank. Even closing the sump cabinet I don't know how to measure decibels but it's just a constant rumbling occurring. I know there's a missing rubber valve guard that connects from the pump to water intake and I know this because I was watching the Red Sea video on disassembling it and he mentioned this little rubber hose guard which I don't have, somehow it was not included in my package. I have no idea if this little rubber hose that is supposed to connect the pump to the water Intake is causing extra noise. I thought about turning the skimmer only when I'm going to sleep at night or gone away.

here is a link to a video of how it sounds, but I'm not sure it really does justice to how much noise I have to put up with or if I'm being overly critical. it is kind of loud and annoying.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried running my skimmer during the day and off at night but I didn't want to have to keep playing with the ATO. So I just leave it on 24/7 except when I clean it once a week. But it does not sound like yours. Mine sounds like foam.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect something isn't right. I would never put skimmate anywhere near my test kits, it's sludge stinky gunk, what does yours look like?
Edit. Should have watched the video.:zany-face:
Open valve a little to lower water level, the foam will push out into the cup. Get the waterline about midway up the neck

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think this skimmer is really " Tuned up " it seems way too wet, not dark enough skimmate, and the bubbles seem way larger and way to low in the neck to actually be tuned correctly. Also I can't imagine any hobby test kit could accurately test for nitrites and nitrates in a skimmate. ( I could be wrong )

Try looking through photos here on R2R of successful reef tanks and the Skimmate they are producing. My opinion is yours is way to wet and may be the cause of the noise ???? Not sure but its hard to tell from a phone without any true decibel measurement whether its loud or not loud .

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just casually test with those test strips that came in a bottle. I have like 100 of them. What I do after I collect some skim waste and a collection cup support into a separate container. I take one of those cheap test strips and dip it into the, skim waste, and then I take another strip and put it in the actual aquarium tank and I compare to and I see the one from the protein skimmer collection has a lot more nitrates and nitrites.
also, I heard that tap water if you boil it, it doesn't have chlorine. So I wanted to test that and I boiled some britta water. after it boiled and cooled, I used one of the cheap test strips, and sure enough it tested for negative chlorine. Now when I test the same tapwate non-boiled the test strips are positive for chlorine.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't get me wrong, I love the skimmer because I finally got it Tuned up in terms of working, and it collects a lot of gunky water which I measure. When I measure the collection cup, it's always high in nitrates and nitrites. And then when I measure the actual tank it's much lower in nitrates and nitrites. So I know this skimmer is not a scammer as I first suspected and it is doing what I paid for. But I just don't like the noise. It sounds like a steamboat. having this skimmer on somewhat takes away from the tranquility of the tank. Even closing the sump cabinet I don't know how to measure decibels but it's just a constant rumbling occurring. I know there's a missing rubber valve guard that connects from the pump to water intake and I know this because I was watching the Red Sea video on disassembling it and he mentioned this little rubber hose guard which I don't have, somehow it was not included in my package. I have no idea if this little rubber hose that is supposed to connect the pump to the water Intake is causing extra noise. I thought about turning the skimmer only when I'm going to sleep at night or gone away.

here is a link to a video of how it sounds, but I'm not sure it really does justice to how much noise I have to put up with or if I'm being overly critical. it is kind of loud and annoying.

The bubbles look big to me, should be a foam which is very quiet.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really loud. My system produces around 31-33 db, about 8 feet from it. I use an app called Decibel meter to measure noise levels. You should try it.

I think there is something wrong with your skimmer. Email the manufacturer and show them this video.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is loud. That would drive me nuts. BRSTv has a video tutorial on fine tuning your skimmer. Both for wet and dry skimming. I would recommend watching that. It almost sounds like the water level is not high enough. But it's just a guess. It's been 12 years since I worked a skimmer......

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those of you who have skimmers does your pump have a gasket which connects it to the water inlet? mine does not and the videos i've seen of this product show that there is supposed to be one. so basically my skimmer pump is taking in water by osmosis.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, I had to to do a DIY gasket between the skimmer pump and the air inlet. I actually had to use some adhesive felt, the non-fluffy side, and I wrapped it all around where the gasket should go and tied it with a plastic tie. sound is down about 50%. It's kind of weird. I'm wondering will. the actual spec rubber gasket make the sound go down a lot more.? I hope.

unless I'm imagining things I mean, it still sounds maybe loud but it sounds a lot less loud than before.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats still louder than boiling water in my kettle. the bubbles are too big. should sound more like air blowing up a balloon. not a full on mouthwash gurgle. is the pump sized correctly?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference my skimmer is silent, I cannot hear it unless I get my ear right next to it.

I would take it apart get the manual out and assemble as per the instructions. If still not working contact manufacturer. Sounds like the muffler is missing!!!!

As an aside skimmer needs to be sized for your fish load. Oversized skimmers don’t work because they are unable to develop the foam. Socks, fleece roller etc… will impact skimmer effectiveness in not the good way.

Good luck,

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have taken it apart per a video, and like I mentioned, it's missing a what I think is important, a rubber gasket which connects the water intake to the actual pump. the system was put together by an employee of LFS I wonder if he just forgot the gasket . The fact I'm just finding household goods to try to make up for gasket and it decreases the noise by 50% I think maybe I'm onto something . thanks all!
I think it's a large skimmer for the size tank I have. The specs are for heavy bio load for 80 gallons and I have a 50 gallon or 52 gallon tank including this sump. This is something i went back-and-forth with red Sea on, and they insist that the system came with the correct skimmer. go
figure.!

this is the set up I have and if you review the specs, you'll find the skimmer is quite large for a 52 system , but I will say it does a great job cleaning my tank. And I have measured the collection on a daily basis with the measuring strips. And it removes my tan of nitrite and collection cup shows high on nitrites.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back