It's BACK-and BROWNER than ever! Unique Corals' "Turn Your Brown Corals into Gold" Contest! V3.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summer doldrums, my *&*^!

Time for some FUN around here...

Are you sick and tired of seeing all of the pretty coral pics around here? Getting a bit down when you see that insane Chalice or "designer Acro", then turn forlornly into your reef to see that "Poop Brown" Vermiculata or "Beige" Montipora?

Yeah, we know the feeling...That's why we resurrected a UC tradition! The "Unique Corals Turn Your Brown Corals into Gold" contest! V3.0

We bet that you've been chafing at the bit waiting for this one, carefully grooming your corals all year, lovingly transforming them from technicolor to "earth tones" in anticipation...Well, just like the Olympics, this contest comes around every few- well, whatever, it comes around when we remember to do it...But anyways- the point is- now is the time to celebrate "plain-ness!" in reef keeping!

BROWN is the new "Gold!"

We’d like to see who has the UGLIEST coral around! That’s right, let’s see that “golden” Acropora, the “Rainbow” Efflo that isn’t, the “earth-toned” Fungia, the Chalice that looks more like a paper cup, the torch that looks more like a match flame...you get the idea.

Who can forget some of the inspiring entrants from past contests:

CLR$* ORangeFungia.jpg

The famous "Orange Fungia" from CLR48

c_healyTricoloracro.jpg

c-healy's inspiring "Tricolor Acro" (minus the 3 colors, of course)

steamingpile Coraloliseffect.jpg

And of course, our favorite, the "Steaming Pile" Lobo from Coraloiseffect, the best example of "when life gives you a pile of -----" Err, never mind.

And of course, the two sacred past winners:

mrinvinvible1stwinner Marquiseo.jpg

"Mr. Invincible" from Marquiseo- the ugly coral that wouldn't die..it just got...uglier- and charmed us all into the first-ever winner!

And who could forget the stunning (is that the right word...?) winner of the V2.0 contest, "Hulk's Junk", by Jackson6745- a stunning testimony to artistic interpretation and plain old ugliness...
jackson6745 Hulk\'s Junk.v2winnerjpg.jpg

Wouldn't you like YOUR corals to join the hallowed ranks of the winners and losers, who have boldly shown that no matter how hard we try to push them out, brown corals just keep charming their way into our hearts?

Some qualifications, of course:

We’re not talking about who can take the worst photo...I’d win that hands down...sorry! Decent photos, please!

We want to see an ugly CORAL! And we aren’t going to judge on just the pic alone..We need to hear a bit of the story behind it! Often times the stories are even more funny than the coral! Besides, it’s a prize package worth $100.00, so you’re gonna have to WORK for it a bit, LOL.

We also don’t want to see sick and dying corals. I see those more often than I'd like to, as do most of the other judges, lol. We want to see the most...mundane, the most...boring, the most dull example of a HEALTHY coral. You know the one...That coral that, for whatever reason is just thriving in your reef...but it’s just friggin’ UGLY!!!

We all have that one...Some of us have more than one! That brown “Blue Tort” that just never colored up...Or, “how can that Nepthia be so darned GREY?” The "Organic Beige" Monti digitata- The one that, despite its ugliness, you just can’t bare to take out.

Right? Yup. You finally can get some good out of having something bad!

What will you be playing for? Well, how about a $100 Unique Corals virtual gift card for the Grand Prize winner, a $50 Unique Corals virtual gift card for the Runner Up, and a $25 Unique Corals virtual gift card for Dishonorable Mention!

The contest is on NOW, and will run through Tuesday, 7/21/15. The "winners" will be announced on Wednesday! (You know that we're always late announcing the winners- that's the charm of the contest, so I don't wanna hear any whining, LOL)

So have at it...Take those lowly, forgotten corals and give them the spotlight that they don't deserve...charm your way into our hearts with the sad, yet oddly uplifting story behind every "brown" piece..

Turn your brown into GOLD!

Good luck! May the ugliest coral win!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the acropora Nana to the left has been brown with slight purple tips for almost two yrs doesn't matter where it is in the tank 96% of it stays brown

Attachments

• IMG_20150320_175511706_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150320_175511706_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 678

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call this the ora mind toilet!

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 534

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UC purchased Voodoo Staghorn. Its grown quite a bit since I purchased it several months ago, but there is no blue and green, only a light mocha brown...
1436908367913-794151457.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UC purchased Voodoo Staghorn. Its grown quite a bit since I purchased it several months ago, but there is no blue and green, only a light mocha brown...
1436908367913-794151457.jpg
We're especially honored with an ORA piece from UC!! Uh, nice work!

evan402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful montipora I picked up about 4 weeks ago. When from an awesome purple to burnt grass brown :)

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I guess I've got to take some new pics. My tank is full of bright corals but the one thing I haven't seen at the lfs is a plain brown one, until several months back. Found a brown one and had to have it for contrast. It actually has a hairy look to it but no color but brown. Now if you want a picture I have a valida that is all cream color with brown polyps and a few tips with a little blue. Considering I've had it for years and it's growing and encrusting well it just doesn't have any nice color but I'm not willing to part with any sps coral that's growing well.

jonnyhot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is my brown frag. When I bought it it was green with purple. It was my showpiece, now I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid. :)
c1b1505ca547e1877cd2bd9ce2863f72.jpg

LukeV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Here is my "rare branching green Psamacora" that I bought in a package maybe 10 monthes ago. When I got him he was a nice green, but over a few monthes turned a nice brownish color that blends in well with the rock. I guess it confused my RBTA because it decided it would plant itself on the coral for a few weeks. I acquired him in a package I bought from a friend, that told me he would be willing to trade it out for something else, since I wasn't really into SPS yet. But I guess the color change changed his mind lol. Now I'm trying it under new lighting, but no change yet.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/29/14 I picked up this nice little Bonsai frag (Acropora valida) that was suppose to turn deep purple with bright green polyps.
image.jpeg

Couple months later I accidentally bumped it with my hand and well... snapped it in 2. So now I have 2 of them but as you can see by the pics they are indeed hideous. Barely holding on and not making much progress.

Top half
image.jpeg

Bottom half
image.jpeg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back