It's BACK-and BROWNER than ever! Unique Corals' "Turn Your Brown Corals into Gold" Contest! V3.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd throw 2 in the hat. They are only next to each other for the pic.
87E147B0-0329-4D35-B427-FCD221D671D8_zps7ftheyz6.jpg

The chalice believe it or not is a JF Biohazzard. It used to look like this when it was under LED's.
DB37847C-BE5D-44E0-AD44-322FA06FEFE9_zpstgan3uqd.jpg

The Favia I can't remember the name but it was a nice one as well. Both are under T5's and this is what they have become.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice most who've posted pictures are bummed out by the lack of color. All the sps in my tank are bright greens, blue greens, pink, orange. What I'm getting at is that most of the retailers tell you how colorful their frags are. That they've gone to the effort to eliminate brown corals that were common years back. Which means that most of us have a tank of brightly colored corals. So as I was going through the frags at my lfs I happened to see a brown acro. Needless to say I bought it, placed it up high in my display tank. I'm happy to say that after two months it's still a nice even shade of brown. It's growing well and encrusting with the slightest bit of green along the encrusting leading edge. I've taken several photos of it under blue led's and under white led's. None do justice to it's browness so please forgive the photo. It's the twin frag in the center of the photo.
P7180036.JPG
That's the type of reassuring news we love to hear!

-Scott

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the lovely Pearly cadaver. Bought it back in March from battlecorals. drove up to adams place and picked up my pack after a weekend getaway and when I got home found aefw destroying my tank (not from adams coral). My buddy held my frags for me so they were moved from my holding tank to his frag tank then a month later to his display then another month later back to my tank. This thing has never had time to settle in. Now the plug is encrusted and all new growth is a really nice light blue

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Back!!!!!!

Contender #1:
Melted Chocolate Fudge Pop Acro

Ever wish you had a nice, unique coral (no pun intended) that you thought would look excellent encrusted, growing on your aquascape; Well me too! I am stuck with a brown frag.

This coral started off as a nice colony. Shortly after, it started to go all down hill from there. It started to brown under my leds (radions) even in low nutrients. It later started to RTN due to AEFW which somehow made it through my dips & egg removal. I only have one frag left from the entire colony. It started to encrust but remained brown. It looks like a "melted chocolate fudge pop". SMH from beauty to a beast.

Here is the before:
16144127999_f80a9fab3b_c.jpg

Here is the after:
19248916864_889e56a557_c.jpg

Contender #2: Ain't So Green Slimer

Knock! Knock!
Whose there?
Green Slimer!
Green Sli.....
Wait... you're not green.

19684932559_243f945c1b_c.jpg

Contender #3: Brown is the new black

Hickory Dickory Dock
The tank decided to flux
The monti turned brown
The value went down
Hickory Dickory Dock

19684946199_4d0022feb6_c.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

lmannan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this piece as a light blue color like Teal. It hated the top of the tank and turned this color so I moved it on the floor untill I can get more epoxy to find it a more suitable location. On the floor some of the color has come back on tips but its a long ways from being pretty again. I will show it under whites and blues only its ugly both ways :).

waldend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what used to be a ReefGen Perseid Meteor Shower. Now it's more like space junk! I wanted to wait until the last minute to make sure it didn't suddenly regain its lost form and people think I Photoshopped it white to try and win. lol I got it about a year ago and 10 months ago a routine water change caused a big issue and bleached this guy out (along with mushrooms, frogspawn and hammer which have all regained full color. With a house full of kids who knows what might have gotten in that new water mixing). I have been spot feeding it every now and then and while it has grown from the light center part of the ReefGen plug to its current size on the tile it has regained no color. I guess at least they used a black plug so if I squint just right while standing a little ways away I can pretend it has some original blue color!

949266DC-3822-4FA7-AB25-1D49E8318CB8_zpsuikd7e0g.jpg

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0152.JPG

Not only is this piece Brown, but it the fastest growing i have. I went from Almost dead
IMG_2432.jpg
Notice how much is missing in the center, to
IMG_0073.jpg
To being my largest piece (notice center fully healed) in a matter of months. best part is
IMG_0065.jpg

I have Multiples of the same piece. bring on the brown baby

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dweeb I've got a match for that cap. I have what was an olive cap with purple polyps and purple growing edge. All the olive faded out leaving a white coral with purple polyps and it's growing well at the same time. Any suggestions on how to get the green back?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is gonna be TOUGH this time! A lot of entries for the UC crew to weed through...We're going to do our level best to have the winners decided today...of course, you know how THAT goes...charming.. Thanks to all who entered and made this a cool little event yet again!

-Scott

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is gonna be TOUGH this time! A lot of entries for the UC crew to weed through...We're going to do our level best to have the winners decided today...of course, you know how THAT goes...charming.. Thanks to all who entered and made this a cool little event yet again!

-Scott
Hey Guys Thanks for a cool thread here. I hope I make the cut. Even if i don't, thanks anyway. :cool::D

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dweeb I've got a match for that cap. I have what was an olive cap with purple polyps and purple growing edge. All the olive faded out leaving a white coral with purple polyps and it's growing well at the same time. Any suggestions on how to get the green back?
I've recently started being stricker with my lighting, I used to leave my blues on all night, things seem to be coloring up better. I have a blue tip golden acro that went brown and the blue is coming back, also the cap is starting to have a tinge of blueish green under actinic now only been at it for 2 weeks and everything else is nicer looking as well. Light is the only thing I've changed.

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what used to be a ReefGen Perseid Meteor Shower. Now it's more like space junk! I wanted to wait until the last minute to make sure it didn't suddenly regain its lost form and people think I Photoshopped it white to try and win. lol I got it about a year ago and 10 months ago a routine water change caused a big issue and bleached this guy out (along with mushrooms, frogspawn and hammer which have all regained full color. With a house full of kids who knows what might have gotten in that new water mixing). I have been spot feeding it every now and then and while it has grown from the light center part of the ReefGen plug to its current size on the tile it has regained no color. I guess at least they used a black plug so if I squint just right while standing a little ways away I can pretend it has some original blue color!

949266DC-3822-4FA7-AB25-1D49E8318CB8_zpsuikd7e0g.jpg
At quick glance it looks like a moldy toasted marshmallow. :p

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back