It's BACK-and BROWNER than ever! Unique Corals' "Turn Your Brown Corals into Gold" Contest! V3.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jd628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beige coral.JPG

Hopefully this works and the picture attaches correctly. Presenting my beige beauty. This lovely came to me as a teeny nub on a piece of live rock about 4 years ago and has grown into this. I actually really like its softness and movement, just wish it would have grown into a little more color

Last edited:

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beige coral.JPG

Hopefully this works and the picture attaches correctly. Presenting my beige beauty. This lovely came to me as a teeny nub on a piece of live rock about 4 years ago and has grown into this. I actually really like its softness and movement, just wish it would have grown into a little more color
It's a brown candelabra gorgonian and that's it's normal color. Nice specimen. I have several and they do well off of the tank lighting without any special effort to feed. There is a purple color morph available but it's purple from the getgo.

Tommypants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This beast actually has a backstory. My BF realized that the photographer that took the photo that he used for part of his tattoo worked in a local LFS.(the talented Felicia M.) While there Felicia pointed out this ugly browned out mystery Acan. For 10$ I picked it up and decided to see if it colored up nicely. Of course that didn't happen. Instead it became my pest control. Anything it was put next to soon felt the wrath of this beast. I used it to beat back an ugly paly colony into submission and keep GSP in check. In the pic it is doing its favorite thing, putting out mesenterial filaments to destroy something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 240

Mirya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Leptos and I saw this chunk of fun plating Lepto at my LFS. It was also green. Not OMG-Incredible-Hulk-green, but definitely green. I thought it would be a fun and unusual acquisition. Well, it still has its cool funky shape, but the color is leaving a bit to be desired atm...

Lepto_zpssabtkvjr.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/29/14 I picked up this nice little Bonsai frag (Acropora valida) that was suppose to turn deep purple with bright green polyps.
image.jpeg

Couple months later I accidentally bumped it with my hand and well... snapped it in 2. So now I have 2 of them but as you can see by the pics they are indeed hideous. Barely holding on and not making much progress.

Top half
image.jpeg

Bottom half
image.jpeg

Why have one ugly frog when you can have two chances to win..I like the strategy...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This beast actually has a backstory. My BF realized that the photographer that took the photo that he used for part of his tattoo worked in a local LFS.(the talented Felicia M.) While there Felicia pointed out this ugly browned out mystery Acan. For 10$ I picked it up and decided to see if it colored up nicely. Of course that didn't happen. Instead it became my pest control. Anything it was put next to soon felt the wrath of this beast. I used it to beat back an ugly paly colony into submission and keep GSP in check. In the pic it is doing its favorite thing, putting out mesenterial filaments to destroy something.
Ugly, and destructive...A super desirable, ultra-formidable combo!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA Miami Orchid. Arrived brown about a month ago, now the coral is starting to turn. It really is brown.

:(

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, be honest, how many have turned off their actinic lighting?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know where to begin.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1437126524.268589.jpg
Your corals look very stressed. You PO4 is likely above .15ppm. Use NO3.PO4 Reducer daily. Check your nitrates as well should be <20ppm or lower. Tank looks unbalanced. Test everything and see what is out. Don't forget Magnesium.
I have been here before within the last 6 months and some of my corals are still brown. Just want to help.

Rogueskier2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This poor little guy was picked up at frag swap in October for $5, seller didn't even know what it was I had a guess but wasn't sure and while he may never be beautiful he's grown a lot and he's beautiful in my eyes, a Pectina of some sort but not exactly sure what,
image.jpg
does have pretty orange eyes.
image.jpg
PROUD TO BE NEUTRAL!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like flat worm bites and eggs from the pic. May want to treat your tank if you have other corals.

Wow, I did not recognize that this Acro had flatworm damage/eggs. I did treat for flatworms a few weeks afterwards that pic was taken. It has been about 5 weeks since treatment. Do you think it would be a good idea to treat the tank again? I have some Acro Colonies that have been in the tank for 2 weeks now,should I wait assuming that you suggest that I treat again for Planara???

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice most who've posted pictures are bummed out by the lack of color. All the sps in my tank are bright greens, blue greens, pink, orange. What I'm getting at is that most of the retailers tell you how colorful their frags are. That they've gone to the effort to eliminate brown corals that were common years back. Which means that most of us have a tank of brightly colored corals. So as I was going through the frags at my lfs I happened to see a brown acro. Needless to say I bought it, placed it up high in my display tank. I'm happy to say that after two months it's still a nice even shade of brown. It's growing well and encrusting with the slightest bit of green along the encrusting leading edge. I've taken several photos of it under blue led's and under white led's. None do justice to it's browness so please forgive the photo. It's the twin frag in the center of the photo.
P7180036.JPG

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back