It's not a matter of will you ever go to bed and forget to shut your RO/DI unit off it's just when

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Now the sound of trickling water shoots me out of bed! That's not ideal considering I'm putting a 120g in my bedroom [emoji28]

OP
OP
Jej34

Jej34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see the issues I'll have when I start pumping salt water from the basement, upstairs to the DT lol.
( sick of carrying buckets, gotta automate it!

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done that plenty if times. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night and instantly realizing you done messed up. My worst time was leaving the garden hose on for about 12 hours full blast after cleaning out one tank. I just got the water bill and it doubled.

What I have since done was get a garden irrigation timer that screws on the water hose tap and you can hood up your rodi line using a garden hose plastic adapter. It automatically shuts off after a preset time. So far so good!!

jazonPartij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the second story in an apartment with the lobby and basement below me. I fell asleep and woke up in a panic and the water went behind my kitchen cabinets, down a wall to never be seen again. No damage found below my apartment.

Jdmonealp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing back in 09. Wife and I just built a house and literally, one month in, 1/2 of the living room carpet was soaked from this. I had the can in the kitchen getting ready to do a water change on my new system and left it overnight (it's so darn quiet). Wife woke up and booooy was she mad. lol

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just to me this weekend. I have a float switch and was filling my salt water storage tank. I forgot about it and pumped 55g on the floor. Luckily it we as in the garage.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess I needed new carpet in the basement anyway!.

Of course now I ordered a shut off valve!!
20160927_183549.jpg
Lol! The one time i ever left my ro on for overnight, completely flooded my whole boiler room.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can remember getting a timer,knowing I was safe. timer went off. Haaa I say no flooding this time ! I hose had fell out of the barrel and ALL the water just ran to the floor ! :eek:

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done that plenty if times. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night and instantly realizing you done messed up. My worst time was leaving the garden hose on for about 12 hours full blast after cleaning out one tank. I just got the water bill and it doubled.

What I have since done was get a garden irrigation timer that screws on the water hose tap and you can hood up your rodi line using a garden hose plastic adapter. It automatically shuts off after a preset time. So far so good!!
Yep, exactly what i run after a couple instances.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO is in my basement bathroom's bathtub with a brut inside. Overflowing goes down the drain! I'm lucky

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I do this, I just pretend that I meant to so that I could then mop up the floor :p

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I would ever admit to flooding the wife's kitchen but in the beginning I bought a small digital kitchen timer I could clip on my pants like a pager.
Later I installed a laundry sink in the garage that would fit my 5G buckets and water jugs so if they overflowed it stayed in the sink.
Today I have a solenoid valve and float switches installed in a 23 gallon Rubbermaid which holds my ATO water. I built a 24" stand and put a ball valve and short hose near the bottom to fill jugs and buckets for water changes.
For some strange reason this made the wife happy?

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that has been in the hobby long enough has spilled a significant amount of water. After I did it and buckled the wood flooring in our kitchen I bought a 15gallon water reservoir, put a bulk head in the bottom to empty water into. If you look at the top left you can see a white waterline - it feeds into a float valve that makes it so I can forget to turn my water off and it won't flood the room because I never remember to turn it off haha. Good luck with the auto shut off valve!

f8b9c94c3c19b9ebd76c036a872a88b4.jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it a lot too haha! I have a timer I use on my iPad now. 3 hours and 20 minutes = 5 gallons.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water station is in a bathroom and I make my water in the tub so overflows go down the drain

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back