Jackie and Glenns 180g Reef Build

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both!

Lol, I'm flattered :p So how do you like the sand bed so far?

I'm loving it so much I got another idea brewing. However, I need to learn how to make a cast mold first. Then I can make rock like you did in the mold. Then I can use your method of making the rock I'm planning. That's all I can say for now. :tape2:

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new montis' from Chris (skinz78). I love them! The idaho purple is on a overflow and the green cap is on the lr return column. Can't wait to see them grow out :D
uploadfromtaptalk1412886546289.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412886561589.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412886546289.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412886561589.jpg

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of your reef. Those caps will bring some nice color!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do u get your water so clear? Mine still is just a bit hazy. Idk. Grr. And nice caps I'm gonna grab a few little pieces here soon!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Chris was so really sweet to give these to me and not only will I take good care of them but I will PIF to someone else as they get some size to them :D

Heath my tank tends to be TOO clean. But right now it's going through semi-new tank syndrome. My new live rock has mixed algae types on it and coraline speckling all over them. My SB almost has the look of old light syndrome and glass was getting algae film that after wiping it would be back in an hour. So, today is day 7 of vodka dosing. I have a sock on my skimmer output and one big one covering both drains. Then there is a bubble trapping sponge before the return. So there is 0 mirco bubbles. Now the algae on the glass is taking 2 days before needing to cleaned and the rest is begining to lessen. There is a way to check what your haziness is from if it's micro bubbles get a magnifying glass and a flashlight. If they seem to sparkler it's micro bubbles. The other is go get a medium bottle of api stress zyme and put it in the tank. Ignore the instructions. If it's crystal clear in 24 hrs you didn't have enough good bacteria.

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not micro bubbles. It's been like this almost the whole time. Figured it might be the sand just still getting kicked around a tiny bit. I'm not as crazy with tank cleanliness as you are. I only run a sock for 3 days a week. I still have near 0 trates and po 4. My skimmer is 2 + x bigger rated than my tank.

1412906731236.jpg

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie have you tried microbacter 7 ? Seems similar been debating using it.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mb7 when I run bio pellets. But it's slow to start. Great stuff. But there is something about the api stress zyme that clears the water fast. If you're lacking a certain bacteria it can cloud and it seems this fixes it. - IF that's the problem. If not, it won't hurt.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have but it wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking of putting my skimmer on only when the fuge light comes on. I hear it's better for the sps. No telling if it is or not though...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back