OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a yellow sea cucumber would look cool in there. Odd little critters remind me of a spooky theme.

4368865885_1d6b59f7d4_z.jpg

I LOVE that idea!!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool cool!

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An idyllic garden should have a little red wagon.

Going full speed ahead (no pun intended) with the miniature garden theme, I found an itty bitty wagon.
I sealed it with Krylon Fusion Clear. (more on that fiasco later)
wagon.jpeg

The wagon should have some potted plants to be pulled around. So I found some itty bitty pots.
20140620_191041.jpg
20140620_190910.jpg

Got2Envy sent me some pretty baby Majanos which would look super cute in the pots. They took a week + to decide they liked the pots enough to stay in them. I had some jumpers for sure.
20140620_191008.jpg
20140624_164957.jpg

When they seemed settled I super glued them on the wagon.
20140705_214613.jpg

And here is my little red wagon in the tank :)
20140707_142255.jpg

The cerith snails give you an idea of the scale also. Too long of a spray time with krylon fusion to get a thick seal resulted in a white coating where the paint was applied multiple times. I didn't realize that I should have waited in between coats for it to dry. It was difficult to get short burst of spray for something so small, needed to be sure to get every nook. I was pretty sad when the white film developed. But then I thought, hey it's a gardening wagon, it can't be squeaky clean!

Now to find a hermit crab to drag the wagon around ....

:becky:

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting setup for sure. Need to add a spooky little house below the tree. Then call it the poltergeist tank, lol. One thing I have a question about is why didn't you use driftwood for the tree? Cyprus trees grow in the brakish/salt water areas in Florida and have a very interesting shape. I'm sure a tree could be built from them. Would the wood change the water chemistry too much or would it just rot away too quickly?

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting setup for sure. Need to add a spooky little house below the tree. Then call it the poltergeist tank, lol. One thing I have a question about is why didn't you use driftwood for the tree? Cyprus trees grow in the brakish/salt water areas in Florida and have a very interesting shape. I'm sure a tree could be built from them. Would the wood change the water chemistry too much or would it just rot away too quickly?
I'm not sure if the wood would have rotted or changed up the tank chemistry. I would have sealed it but I have no experience with drift wood. Also finding a small enough piece that would also be interesting - I'm not sure where I could find that.

got2envy

hello fishy fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They needed to be in a wagon as I'm just finding out.
They were shipped from Oregon to Florida to Texas to Noo Joisey!
Florida to Oregon and Florida to Texas to Noo Joisey :p
I have never gotten these on purpose.
Moar pix!!

Last edited:

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the wood would have rotted or changed up the tank chemistry. I would have sealed it but I have no experience with drift wood. Also finding a small enough piece that would also be interesting - I'm not sure where I could find that.
Since you would be sealing the wood, that would open up your choices. Manzanita branches can be combined to create a very cool tree shape. Some of the pieces I have used for my planted tanks look like small trees. There are also the root structures that look like a tree with no branches. Could epoxy some smaller driftwood to create the branches. You are giving me some ideas now. I kinda want to create a planted saltwater tank with driftwood. Small leaved macros as moss and short sea grass in the foreground and taller seagrass in background.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe the only problem with sealed driftwood is some of it floats since it wouldn't be waterlogged? I don't think all types do.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you would be sealing the wood, that would open up your choices. Manzanita branches can be combined to create a very cool tree shape. Some of the pieces I have used for my planted tanks look like small trees. There are also the root structures that look like a tree with no branches. Could epoxy some smaller driftwood to create the branches. You are giving me some ideas now. I kinda want to create a planted saltwater tank with driftwood. Small leaved macros as moss and short sea grass in the foreground and taller seagrass in background.
Happy to inspire creativity, would love to see what you do. A saltwater planted tank looks lovely, but I don't think anyone has ever been able to tame and trim like the freshwater tanks are done. That would be a first.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe the only problem with sealed driftwood is some of it floats since it wouldn't be waterlogged? I don't think all types do.
You might be right. I had a wooden something that I was intending to use in the tank. even sealing it was a problem because the wood just soaked up the krylon. Even so, after I was done with about a billion coats, the darn thing floated.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back