Keith's Reef

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2513.jpg

My first ever saltwater tank is now set up! I'm on Day 2 and the sand has finally settled and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far! Day 2 Test parameters:

Specific Gravity: 1.021- added a bit of salt to get up to my goal of 1.025.
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 2.0ppm - added at same time as bacteria yesterday- used Dr. Tim's for both
Nitrates: 0
PH: 7.4
Temp: 74.3- just added the heater this morning

My set up is as follows:
- Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 (72gal DT/18gal sump)
- Red Sea Reef mat 500 Filter roller
- Red Sea Lights 90w x 2
- Red Sea Wave 25 gyre powerhead x1 - between the power on this and the flow I have coming out of my return I think i should be good for LPS and Soft corals.
- Red Sea Coral doser (4pump)
- Red Sea DIY tank lid lid (need to actually DIY it lol)
- Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT skimmer
- Orlushy DC return pump with controller 1320 GPH max (will tone down power to 800gph)
- Magtool Optical sensor ATO
- AQQA 300W heater
- Aquaticlife RO/DI
- 80lbs dry rock- about 50-60 lbs in the DT and the rest in the sump.
- 60lbs live sand- I had 80 but ive got a solid two inch layer with 60.
- Instant Ocean Reef crystals- I plan on using this as my main salt throughout.

Below is my plan for stocking in order of peaceful to semi-aggressive and all reef safe- any help on order in which I should do this would be appreciated or any other comments:

- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Melanaurus Wrasse
- Royal Gamma Basslet
- Chromis- would love a school of like 5
- Black Ice Clown Fish
- Snowflake Clown Fish
- Tang- TBD which kind

Once everything is cycled I'll start with a clean up crew package and the first two fish.

Please follow me as I'll be posting everything step by step!!!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2513.jpg

My first ever saltwater tank is now set up! I'm on Day 2 and the sand has finally settled and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far! Day 2 Test parameters:

Ammonia: 2.0ppm - added at same time as bacteria yesterday- used Dr. Tim's for both

My set up is as follows:
- Red Sea Lights 90w x 2
- Red Sea Wave 25 gyre powerhead x1 - between the power on this and the flow I have coming out of my return I think i should be good for LPS and Soft corals.
- Orlushy DC return pump with controller 1320 GPH max (will tone down power to 800gph)
- AQQA 300W heater
- Aquaticlife RO/DI

Below is my plan for stocking in order of peaceful to semi-aggressive and all reef safe- any help on order in which I should do this would be appreciated or any other comments:

- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Melanaurus Wrasse
- Royal Gamma Basslet
- Black Ice Clown Fish
- Snowflake Clown Fish
- Tang- TBD which kind

Once everything is cycled I'll start with a clean up crew package and the first two fish.

Nice. Not sure the pH is accurate though.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I'm curious about the RedSea stand. Was that flat packed? What type of connecters is it using to attach panels? If you can post pic of the inside or PM them to my, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the middle of building a custom stand so I'd like to see how it's constructed.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I'm curious about the RedSea stand. Was that flat packed? What type of connecters is it using to attach panels? If you can post pic of the inside or PM them to my, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the middle of building a custom stand so I'd like to see how it's constructed.
So luckily for me this was picked up at my LFS who had already built the stand. That said, it is assembled with twist screw locks (like any other Ikea or flat pack unit). However, the material is very solid ply wood- no particle board. This thing is a rock. Make sure you have a good drill if you are mounting anything on the inside!
1662142556443.png

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Not sure the pH is accurate though.
Only 30 hours old. I used RO/DI and only additives have been salt, bacteria and ammonia. I imagine the ph will rise with a little time no? I used the API test kit.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tang, I would recommend a Yellow (if in the budget) or a Tomini. They're both pretty mild mannered and would do well in a 72g. Be cautious that any clowns you add are a different size - and if paired up will cause some aggression issues down the line as they protect their territory

Chromis are cool but the quality these days from bigger vendors is meh. A lot come with Uronema which you do not want in your tank, so if going with chromis ensure they're quarantined / disease free before adding

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and equipment sounds amazing but 'in my opinion' your aquascape/ rocks are heavy set at the bottom, I think you will have alot of 'dead spots' especially cave structure to the left of aquriam, this may cause problems in future for cleaning waste/leftover food etc that sits on sandbed
Just my opinion/ thoughts :)

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and equipment sounds amazing but 'in my opinion' your aquascape/ rocks are heavy set at the bottom, I think you will have alot of 'dead spots' especially cave structure to the left of aquriam, this may cause problems in future for cleaning waste/leftover food etc that sits on sandbed
Just my opinion/ thoughts :)
I definitely had that thought as well when I looked at it from the front, but actually it's a big arch with a large pass through in the back as well as some larger holes in the side. Initially I had the powerhead vertical in that corner whipping current around the front and it was definitely getting flow through that cave. I moved it horizontal on the side 1. because it was blowing the sand out of that corner on a 40% setting 2. just trying some different placements to see where the best flow actually is. But yea you are right that is an area that bears watching. Time will tell- hopefully a shrimp makes a nice house out of it and keeps it clean!

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tang, I would recommend a Yellow (if in the budget) or a Tomini. They're both pretty mild mannered and would do well in a 72g. Be cautious that any clowns you add are a different size - and if paired up will cause some aggression issues down the line as they protect their territory

Chromis are cool but the quality these days from bigger vendors is meh. A lot come with Uronema which you do not want in your tank, so if going with chromis ensure they're quarantined / disease free before adding
Yeah thats what I've read on the chromis as well- i def want a school of something- today I found out that you can keep multiple flasher wrasses (1 male and a few females) and they should be a hardy addition and peaceful.

Clowns I hear can be ******s. my thoughts were to add them last to try and mitigate territoriality. When you say make sure they are a different size do you mean make sure both clowns are smaller than the tank mates, or that the two clowns are different sizes?

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2513.jpg

My set up is as follows:
- Red Sea Lights 90w x 2
- AQQA 300W heater
- Aquaticlife RO/DI

- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Melanaurus Wrasse
- Royal Gamma Basslet
- Black Ice Clown Fish
- Snowflake Clown Fish
- Tang- TBD which kind

Go slow with the clean up crew. Not much to clean up in a new tank

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look at pistol shrimp or similar to add to your stock list, this guy keeps my cave clean :)
I have 3 dead spots in my aquriam (excluding cave) , I have tried blasting my wavemakers x 2 at full power to see if it helps but it only highlighted my dead spots

Attachments

• VID20220629135716.mp4
    27.7 MB

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2513.jpg

My set up is as follows:
- Red Sea Lights 90w x 2
- AQQA 300W heater
- Aquaticlife RO/DI

- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Melanaurus Wrasse
- Royal Gamma Basslet
- Black Ice Clown Fish
- Snowflake Clown Fish
- Tang- TBD which kind

Might want to adjust that left door. Don’t want to hi the glass

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look at pistol shrimp or similar to add to your stock list, this guy keeps my cave clean :)
I have 3 dead spots in my aquriam (excluding cave) , I have tried blasting my wavemakers x 2 at full power to see if it helps but it only highlighted my dead spots
YES!! Absolutely! I’m all about that symbiotic relationship with the goby!!

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EC37EC66-8FE0-48C5-9465-5DACA5756CD6.jpeg

Just over 72 hours of cycling. Ammonia hasn’t made any moves yet from 2.0ppm, nitrate and nitrites still hanging at 0.

Too soon to add some more bacteria?

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the cycle roll!

pH 7.8
Ammonia (1-2ppm)
Nitrites (.50ppm)
Nitrates (10ppm)
Temp 76.6*F
Specific Gravity 1.025

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited my ReefMat 500 came in today! With that lets take a look under the hood!

I was nervous i wouldn’t have room for all of my live rock in the sump as well as my ATO reservoir and skimmer, but somehow i got it all in there!! This is not simply plug and play as Red Sea advertises…

Sadly no room for a refugium now…none the less im pretty happy with the set up

Attachments

• 19D4D121-916D-4393-A8A4-A6A2A0AF0C36.jpeg
    19D4D121-916D-4393-A8A4-A6A2A0AF0C36.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 28
  • A3DB1086-0E0F-470A-85A1-659D2C9E1D25.jpeg
    A3DB1086-0E0F-470A-85A1-659D2C9E1D25.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 29
Back