Kessil or nothing!!!!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my kessil a360x. I had two supplemented with a reefbrite strip and the color and growth was amazing. However it unfortunately just died after 4 years and I'm not super excited about the repair and replacement options through kessil.

I'm not sure what I'm going to go with next yet.

OP
OP
vinrok031

vinrok031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my kessil a360x. I had two supplemented with a reefbrite strip and the color and growth was amazing. However it unfortunately just died after 4 years and I'm not super excited about the repair and replacement options through kessil.

I'm not sure what I'm going to go with next

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ran kessil so I can't comment on them. I have gen 4 radions, Ai hydra 26 HD, Chinese black boxes, Noopsyche K7 pro, reefbreeders photon v2 pro, and t5 hybrid. Out of those favorite for best bang for the buck = Noopsyche. Best over all performance, looks (panel vs Puck so very little light spill) and price not to terrible goes to the photons.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1771.jpeg
I like Kessil for the shimmer. But supplemental lighting will eventually be required when the coral grow out due to shading. I supplemented them with this ReefBrite fixture.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 inch T5 with a single xr15 g6 over my acro garden. T5 for full tank blanket of light and the plug in and forget aspect, and cheap. The xr15 for control and par. I'm able to keep a mixed reef from the lowest light coral to light loving acro.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience with other brands out of warranty service?

Kessil wants $100 to diagnose the light plus the cost to ship it. That would go towards repairs if it's repairable. If not I lose the $100. Or a discount on a new light for $337.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more tank pics with the A500x...supposed to be a halide competitor...right now - I like the 12k look of my gen 4 radions,though.

Fossilman06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more tank pics with the A500x...supposed to be a halide competitor...right now - I like the 12k look of my gen 4 radions,though.
I second that. I'm doing a tank build now and the Kessil A500x is my top contender right now. Really want that shimmer. Used to run dual 175w Ushio halides and dual 110w Actinic T8 Fluorescents, back in the day(2003ish)on my 75 gal sps dominant tank.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's favorite lights and why?
I have been happy with my AI prime I use on my nano tanks my main tank has orphek Atlantik v4 that have now been upgraded with the icon internals. Love the AI on a small tank it's in my opinion the best light for a nano reef. Now to my love hate relationship with the orphek. It is a great light makes the tank look amazing but the set up on the light before the upgrade was horrible. The fact that a light at this price needed a gateway sold separately to set up is terrible. I had a terrible time getting it to find the gateway and the app was not much better. But once it's set I have never had to worry about it anymore. The upgrade was a big improvement but at $200 I really should have just saved the money for the next light. ( it was still working great was just more of an I want to see the difference type of thing). But I don't think I would buy the orphek if I was to do it all over again.

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with my AI prime I use on my nano tanks my main tank has orphek Atlantik v4 that have now been upgraded with the icon internals. Love the AI on a small tank it's in my opinion the best light for a nano reef. Now to my love hate relationship with the orphek. It is a great light makes the tank look amazing but the set up on the light before the upgrade was horrible. The fact that a light at this price needed a gateway sold separately to set up is terrible. I had a terrible time getting it to find the gateway and the app was not much better. But once it's set I have never had to worry about it anymore. The upgrade was a big improvement but at $200 I really should have just saved the money for the next light. ( it was still working great was just more of an I want to see the difference type of thing). But I don't think I would buy the orphek if I was to do it all over again.
Hi! I recently hot into the reefing hobby and I bought the AI prime just like you. I wanted to ask what settings and schedule you have on it? Since I’m basically a beginner on this topics. Thanks in advance.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience with other brands out of warranty service?

Kessil wants $100 to diagnose the light plus the cost to ship it. That would go towards repairs if it's repairable. If not I lose the $100. Or a discount on a new light for $337.

I was faced with a similar choice and went with the $337 option. Mine had lasted almost 5 years. Not great, but not terrible either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back