Kessil or nothing!!!!

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a mixture of lights is the best. Something to blanket everything with light like the radions or the skys, kessils to get pin point hot spots (and that shimmer) and light bars for supplemental.

My new build will have radions, kessils, and quanta pro light bars. I do like the kessils the most though for ease of use.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a500x. Can't beat that shimmer. I don't get much shadowing, nothing beyond what it looks like in nature, which is what I want. A natural looking reef, which has some shadows. Some people have concerns about their reliability, but I just buy an extended warranty and enjoy my kessil.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done with over priced lighting, The AI prime 16 for example is 59 watts, after buying the mount you are paying about $350 for 59 watts. Instead I use a $100 light that included the mount (looks better than the AI) and its 50 watts and programable and does not melt lenses. I also have a 100 watt light (x2) that I had to turn down close to 50% on the spectrums for LPS coral, $150 for it, mounts included. I don't follow along with keep up with the crowd folks (anymore). Nicrew Hyper reef light have worked great for me. I did get use from my kessil that bit the dust, the nicrew can use the kessil controller.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run kessils. 5 Kessil A360x + ReefBrite led bars on my 6' tank.
IMG_8015-2.jpg

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maxspect RSX-200. I like my tank to look natural and not like a rave party and Maxspect allows this. Very happy with it except that after s power outage the program may turn 9n spontaniously in tje middle of the night. I have it for a bit over 3 years.

Last edited:

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been very happy with my Ecotec XR's and T5 lighting hybrids. My 75 uses 2x XR15 G5's with 4 t5 bulbs and my new 180g uses 3 xr30 G6's with 4 T5 bulbs.

I will say Kessil shimmer is so hard to beat. I ran the tuna suns on my 180g when it was a high tech planted tank.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a mixture of lights is the best. Something to blanket everything with light like the radions or the skys, kessils to get pin point hot spots (and that shimmer) and light bars for supplemental.

My new build will have radions, kessils, and quanta pro light bars. I do like the kessils the most though for ease of use.
I have 4 radions xr30 blues with kessil 360A in between each radion. I like the mix...If the lights ever fied I may look at orphek

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Kessil’s and orpheks primarily. I have an Atlantik v4 over my frag tank (great light but it is big and heavy). The good thing is you can run it high over the tank which is great for a frag tank. On my display upstairs I have an 360x (it is a small temporary LPS display so only a single light. I use to have SPS in the tank and had two of the Orphek OR2 bars as well (great combo) . I’m planning a large display tank and I’m trying to decide which way I go for lighting so I’m following along to see what others recommend.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting on this forum is like politics. Nobody changes their mind, but everyone gets all fired up.

I have something to offer in this “debate” and I wonder if others have had similar experiences.

I have a 6 foot SPS tank that’s mostly acros and a closet full of T5, LED, and halide gear. I like to switch up the lighting and watch how the corals respond.

With halides in the mix, colors get deeper, and tissue appears thicker and healthier.

When I pull the halides down and only run T5 and LED, there is always a color shift. I keep the par at the sanded at 300, regardless of which light combination I’m running.

T5 and LED probably develop the best coloration under blues, but the colors are less rich and deep without halides. The corals look more robust with halides in the mix, and slow growers tend to do better.

I switch up the lights more than I should, and the acros always respond to the change. There is a difference. What is “best” is a matter of opinion.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I recently hot into the reefing hobby and I bought the AI prime just like you. I wanted to ask what settings and schedule you have on it? Since I’m basically a beginner on this topics. Thanks in advance.
I use the WWC settings you can find them on there website.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils and AI were my favorites matched with a T5 fixture

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the WWC settings you can find them on there website.
Thank you! I’ll take a look at it! I don’t think I’m ready to have corals in my tank because it’s barely a month old but I won’t stop to get new information!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's favorite lights and why?
AI Prime 16 HD (x2) because:
- have worked well for me with no issues for just over 2 years
- reasonably priced for what you get (my opinion)
- easy to find and/or download settings for what you want (that others have done the legwork on already)
- app is easy and works (if/when you decide to change stuff)

...but,,, I have limited experience with only a few other (usually mis-matched) lights and my demands aren't as high as many on here

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used almost every LED at some point. Kessil would be one of the last I would pick. Way too much shadowing because of their poor design and they die like crazy around 2 years. This is often not acknowledged by the big names
Agreed, I see the most issues in my local community with Kessils....lens melt, led burnout etc.

I'm rolling with AI Primes!

ygbsmww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a500x. Can't beat that shimmer. I don't get much shadowing, nothing beyond what it looks like in nature, which is what I want. A natural looking reef, which has some shadows. Some people have concerns about their reliability, but I just buy an extended warranty and enjoy my kessil.
How noisy is the fan on the A500X?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back