Killing blue cloves with fluke tabs

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fluke tab on my aquarium a month ago. All of the blue cloves are gone, but I've had some issues that may or may not have been related to their use. I ground up the tab, mixed it with salt water and added it to my tank one day. The next morning, I found my blood red fire shrimp being eaten by my maxi mini anemone. I don't know if it was just happenstance or whether the fluke tabs had anything to do with it.

I have also had an issue with phosphates since using the tab. I assume it is from the die-off from the blue cloves (there were a lot of them). I did do a large water change (about 20%), but probably should have done more.

However, I am now blue clove free!!

CJ

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CJ, my fire shrimp didn't die but he was pretty drugged, I can see one getting caught by a nem that they wouldn't normally while in their weakend state.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp was spazzing a bit right after adding the tab. The next day it was deader than a doornail. The snails fell off the glass but looked alive on the bottom.

Now that I'm thinking about it there may be dead snails and that's what's causing the ammionia spike. I'll have pull them out tonight and check.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner and fire made it through but the porcelain crab and snails didn't fair to well.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my frag tank Thursday night. I didn't turn off my skimmer this time. After one day the cloves are closed up just like they did in my display. It killed a purple lobster I've had for a long time. There is some xenia in there that is wilted but not dead yet. The sinularia looks fine and so does the BTA so far.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep us updated!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the skimmer running the cloves still died. I didn't to do a water change until day 3. There is some xenia in there that looks like it's falling apart. My sinularia is closed up and droopy.

20F7D256-8EAC-47C9-AE36-BBAAF8D53D0F-81085-000026D32F4AED8B.jpg

Anyone else notice a nasty, dark black skimmate after treating? I guess from the decaying corals, it's bad.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sinularia coral looked really bad so I pulled it out. It was my very first coral but luckily I gave enough away to be able to easily recover a frag. I knew it was a risk when I treated the tank.

All blue cloves, xenia and star polyps are gone.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you guy's are all trying to kill blue cloves and here I am LOOKING for blue cloves and cant find them ANYWHERE down here and I dont have the $ to pay for shipping them to order online

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you guy's are all trying to kill blue cloves and here I am LOOKING for blue cloves and cant find them ANYWHERE down here and I dont have the $ to pay for shipping them to order online

Stay away from them. You can't control them. You will eventually regret it.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few tabs on the way and I'll be trying the dip method to kill anthelia... I'll post updates once I start the treatment!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

How many tabs are you using per gallon of water?

If your treating your whole tank Im willing to bet that one crushed up tab mixed with water will do the trick up to around 200ish gallons. It'll take out xenia, clove polyps, anthelia and star polyps and possible some shrimp/crabs just FYI.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your treating your whole tank Im willing to bet that one crushed up tab mixed with water will do the trick up to around 200ish gallons. It'll take out xenia, clove polyps, anthelia and star polyps and possible some shrimp/crabs just FYI.

Perfect thanks.

Now I can't find them for sale anywhere online? Anyone see them for sale?

db1317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few tabs on the way and I'll be trying the dip method to kill anthelia... I'll post updates once I start the treatment!

Anxiously awaiting your updates! My tank is becoming overrun with anthelia and am really close to trying fluke tabs, too. Would like to hear of your results, too.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anxiously awaiting your updates! My tank is becoming overrun with anthelia and am really close to trying fluke tabs, too. Would like to hear of your results, too.

Their results are good enough for me. I would drop it in the tank right now if I had some. :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back