Kschweer: 57 rimless build

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks man!! Hoping this pump holds out until I can get a new one. If not I have a few mag drives laying around would just need to plumb one in.
It might hold up. I had my reeflo do that and still running. All my pumps are old and have to look into a main pump at some point. Like the dc pumps.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately over the past few weeks I have been having some issues with the tank. Specifically SPS receding from the tips and some dying. My jack o lantern lepto seems to be doing the same. I have had some of these corals a long time and it's hard to watch. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Parameters all fall in line and have been checked by a friend without telling him what I was getting so the results were not biased in any way. Parameters are as follows:
Alk: 8.3
Cal: 410
Mag: 1300
No3: 10
Po4: .03

The only thing that has changed is my bulbs but I changed them as I always do, 2 bulbs a week over 3 weeks. I'm slowly bringing the alk down incase that's the issue but I'm not sure why it would be. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately over the past few weeks I have been having some issues with the tank. Specifically SPS receding from the tips and some dying. My jack o lantern lepto seems to be doing the same. I have had some of these corals a long time and it's hard to watch. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Parameters all fall in line and have been checked by a friend without telling him what I was getting so the results were not biased in any way. Parameters are as follows:

The only thing that has changed is my bulbs but I changed them as I always do, 2 bulbs a week over 3 weeks. I'm slowly bringing the alk down incase that's the issue but I'm not sure why it would be. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.
Maybe send off a Triton test?
Could anything in the tank be leaching metals or something, like a rusting magnet?

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe send off a Triton test?
Could anything in the tank be leaching metals or something, like a rusting magnet?
That was suggested on my local forum as well. Think that's what I'm going to do.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest maybe taking some action like skimming wet, running carbon and changing it frequently, and doing some large water changes.
If something is contaminating your water, you want to get it out/dilute it.
And think about any equipment you may have that could be leaching something.
I believe @Diesel had a magnet in a Vortech rusting on him once that starting creating mysterious issues like this.
I had a similar issue once and finally realized my Two Little Fishies magnetic algae clip was rusting.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hang in there brother, these things happen to all of us. Do couple of water changes just in case something is contaminating the tank water. Hold your temp steady which is harder to do in summer but I truly believe in it.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest maybe taking some action like skimming wet, running carbon and changing it frequently, and doing some large water changes.
If something is contaminating your water, you want to get it out/dilute it.
And think about any equipment you may have that could be leaching something.
I believe @Diesel had a magnet in a Vortech rusting on him once that starting creating mysterious issues like this.
I had a similar issue once and finally realized my Two Little Fishies magnetic algae clip was rusting.
Thanks man. I have been doing water changes and keeping the carbon fresh. I'll turn the skimmer up tomorrow and check al magnets. Thanks for the advice Dennis.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there brother, these things happen to all of us. Do couple of water changes just in case something is contaminating the tank water. Hold your temp steady which is harder to do in summer but I truly believe in it.

Thanks tusi! I'll keep a closer eye on the temp as well.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K

What is your PH swing from morning to evening?
Is your No3 always at with the ALK at 8.3?
Try to Detox and run after the detox some GAC for three days.
You can try also a new bucket of salt and do a large water change.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K

What is your PH swing from morning to evening?
Is your No3 always at with the ALK at 8.3?
Try to Detox and run after the detox some GAC for three days.
You can try also a new bucket of salt and do a large water change.
Ph doesn't swing very much usually 7.9-8 depending on time of the day. Alk is usually between 8.3-8.6 (salifert) and no3 ranges from 5-10 normally (salifert). Are you talking about triton detox?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph doesn't swing very much usually 7.9-8 depending on time of the day. Alk is usually between 8.3-8.6 (salifert) and no3 ranges from 5-10 normally (salifert). Are you talking about triton detox?

Yes, the triton detox.
If you plan on to send a triton test in send two, one from the tank and one from your new salt water mix.
I had the same experience not to long ago and it was a bad bucket of salt from tropic marine, they send me two new buckets if I would send the used bucket back.
Sure it was the bucket ad they send me a email of the same results I had from triton.
New buckets were all fine.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Dennis recommended, I had major sps losses and had no idea why since all my parameters were in check and no unusual swings of sorts. I then pulled a Skimmer and found severely rusted volute and screws. As soon as I pulled it whatever sps was left showed improvement pretty quickly after water changes.

Back