Laugh With Me!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My loving sister bought me a light for under my tank stand!
41b48d6bb2945818d2ae4ebe49b2dda2.jpg

koifishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the color! How sweet of your sister to buy you a light, question is what corals can you keep with that light lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you should do is use mirrors and reflex this light down to your new solar under tank stand light. Hey they even sell this mirrored tubing that they use for roof skylights. here is a link for the product. http://www.ussunlight.com/products/skylight-tubes and at the next family gathering when asked about the light you can say, "it works great"

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker and @Waters, I can see it now...a HUGE thread in the DIY forum. Install the skylight tube and install a solenoid that opens and closes the tube. The solenoid is (of course) controlled by an Apex. Naturally, the program should only allow light to come through the tube when the sun is up, so the Apex program will take take latitude information and adjust the opening and closing based on the season. That takes care of the beginner stuff. Serious reefers will see the obvious need to adjust the the opening based on the weather too. It should be a simple matter of connecting a PAR meter up on the roof to measure how bright it is outside for this purpose. Finally, we would never want @NanaReefer's sister to see the other source of light under the tank, so a door switch under Apex control will close the solenoid and disguise the skylight any time the cabinet door is opened.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker and @Waters, I can see it now...a HUGE thread in the DIY forum. Install the skylight tube and install a solenoid that opens and closes the tube. The solenoid is (of course) controlled by an Apex. Naturally, the program should only allow light to come through the tube when the sun is up, so the Apex program will take take latitude information and adjust the opening and closing based on the season. That takes care of the beginner stuff. Serious reefers will see the obvious need to adjust the the opening based on the weather too. It should be a simple matter of connecting a PAR meter up on the roof to measure how bright it is outside for this purpose. Finally, we would never want @NanaReefer's sister to see the other source of light under the tank, so a door switch under Apex control will close the solenoid and disguise the skylight any time the cabinet door is opened.
@jgvergo lunar cycle its a must in the setup

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 79 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back