Leavbing

Ryan8696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'd like to start over with my reef tank, I have another tank that I can relocate fish/corals to in the meantime. I'd like to give everything a good clean, move all of the rocks around, install some new equipment etc.

My question is - can I leave the take empty without feeding it and without the lights on for a few weeks without issue before putting everything back in? I'll still be running the heaters, pump etc.

Or do I need to ghost feed and leave the lights on in the meantime until everything is put back into the tank?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'd like to start over with my reef tank, I have another tank that I can relocate fish/corals to in the meantime. I'd like to give everything a good clean, move all of the rocks around, install some new equipment etc.

My question is - can I leave the take empty without feeding it and without the lights on for a few weeks without issue before putting everything back in? I'll still be running the heaters, pump etc.

Or do I need to ghost feed and leave the lights on in the meantime until everything is put back into the tank?
Are you talking about just leaving it totally empty or are you leaving the live rock in there? If you are leaving the live rock in there you can shut the lights off (as long as there aren't any light dependent inverts/algae/etc that you are trying to keep). I would recommend ghost feeding every so oftgen though to keep the bacteria alive.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back