Let it Snow, Let it Flow, Let it Grow

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, will this also reduce the micro bubbles that sometime I see on welded ends?
Thx

ABSOLUTELY as you are filling the gap rather than setting a dry edge/surface against the liquid solvent on the other trapping dry air pockets. Really getting me jazzed to start my new build as well, have not ordered material yet as have yet to make the decision to build a Sump/Fuge replacement while I'm at it. Looking at some of AWESOME Sumps by Reef Savvy, Aqua Box etc... makes me want to have a 'Pretty' Sump as well.

Cheers, Todd

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Dave will be quite surprised to all the activity on his thread when he logs back in... lol

Here is another pic of this project in 'Ultimate Man-Cave Shop' if you notice some of the cabinetry in the background, this what Dave is capable of even for Shop Furniture MUCH MUCH NICER than anything on a Ethan Allen Furniture Gallery showroom floor. If we are lucky, I can talk him into showing one of his exotic wood inlaid Puzzle Boxes he made for his Grandkids.
#TAG Pepcrylic

10904180_1538724979709568_803342433_n.jpg

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG This thread is running itself!!! LOL
Thanks for filling in Todd. Couldnt have explained any of it better.
Gott run and finish up a project for a buddy.
More oics and updates a little later.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got your back Brother...... and when I start my build maybe just hijack this thread and add to it... lol Or just make a new 'Sticky' DIY Thread and insert highlights (actual info posts) from both builds. Heading out to the shop to make some acrylic corner jigs like yours in preparation for my project.

Cheers, Todd

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. Looking forward to seeing a closed loop. They seem to have fallen out of favor lately, but I think that if done right offer a cleaner installation and better performance than power heads.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got your back Brother...... and when I start my build maybe just hijack this thread and add to it... lol Or just make a new 'Sticky' DIY Thread and insert highlights (actual info posts) from both builds. Heading out to the shop to make some acrylic corner jigs like yours in preparation for my project.

Cheers, Todd

Good idea about the "sticky notes" on the acrylic work. Let me know if ya need any pics or info.
Ya know Todd , you are more than welcome to borrow my corner jigs if you would like.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. Looking forward to seeing a closed loop. They seem to have fallen out of favor lately, but I think that if done right offer a cleaner installation and better performance than power heads.

I am a huge fan of NOT SEEING power heads in a tank!!
The closed loop for this system is basic , but different. LOL I will use a pump that is rated for approx. 3000 gph and run it thru a Oceans Motions 4way with a 1-3,2-4 cylinder .
For this system to work right I have to build the rock structure first before I can place the CL outlets.
This will be a huge focal point on this build.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the top euro brace done.
I again made a templet out of the MDF of the cut out I want on the top. There will be a 4 1/2'' wide rim around the entire top,( alittle wider at the overflow)

Set the templet on the 1/2'' acrylic and trace 1/4'' inside the lines. So the whole I cut in the acrylic will be small of that on the MDF

I used a jigsaw with a plexiglass blade.

Once the holes are cut(under sized) in the acrylic I mount the MDF pattern under the acrylic and clamp it down.
Let it Snow Let it Snow Let it Snow

The wholes get a 3/8'' round over bit run around them to finish it up.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the time, the tools, just not the space. There is a different kind of project taking that space right now.

This is awesome though, really enjoying this build so far.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the time, the tools, just not the space. There is a different kind of project taking that space right now.

This is awesome though, really enjoying this build so far.

Thanks for joining in Ryan.
This most defiantly not the project you want to do in the house! LOL
I catch crap every day from my better half for the acrylic snow that I track in from the shop 20 yards away from the back door.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! Coming right along Dave, maybe you should have had this done a month ago...... could have used all that acrylic snow around the X-mas yard ornaments....... sure your wife and neighbors wouldn't have minded.

Thanks once again on posting all this up, I'm sure it gives many a whole new perspective on what it takes for this as a DIY project or for a custom fabricator to produce it for them.

Cheers, Todd

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for joining in Ryan.
This most defiantly not the project you want to do in the house! LOL
I catch crap every day from my better half for the acrylic snow that I track in from the shop 20 yards away from the back door.

I am constantly amazed at the skills fellow reefers posses. I checked acrylic prices, and wow! Since I aleady have to many tanks, I am going to live through yours.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! Coming right along Dave, maybe you should have had this done a month ago...... could have used all that acrylic snow around the X-mas yard ornaments....... sure your wife and neighbors wouldn't have minded.

Thanks once again on posting all this up, I'm sure it gives many a whole new perspective on what it takes for this as a DIY project or for a custom fabricator to produce it for them.

Cheers, Todd

I am sure some of the snow from this build will still be floating around the shop in a year. LOL
3/4 to 7/8 of reefer hobbiest have not a clue what it really takes to build a tank. I have had a couple of costly mistakes along the way. Thats just how it goes. If you are not making mistakes you are not learning any thing.
I am glad I have this opportunity to share with with other who may have the same interest.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closed loop for this system is basic , but different. LOL I will use a pump that is rated for approx. 3000 gph and run it thru a Oceans Motions 4way with a 1-3,2-4 cylinder.

For this system to work right I have to build the rock structure first before I can place the CL outlets.

I think the reason they fell out of popularity is because people don't want to take the time to plan it out or to build the rock work in an empty tank then drill the holes. Plus some people are scared of drilling the bottom of a tank. Honestly a closed loop should be even more popular now with the rimless tanks everyone wants. Removing all the wires hanging over the back of an open tank would be my first priority.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closed loop for this system is basic , but different. LOL I will use a pump that is rated for approx. 3000 gph and run it thru a Oceans Motions 4way with a 1-3,2-4 cylinder .

Me too actually. I hate the look of powerheads. Even the warts people call Vortecs. I have the same barrel on my OM 4 way and love it. It outputs to different PVC outputs with flow penductors. All running from a Dart Hybrid. Only difference is I have a canopy so I still run the pipes over the top.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont be going over the top with the closed loop. It will all be hidden in the rockwork

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to put a delay on this build.
I am heading out the door to catch a flight to Cozumel Mexico, for a week of scuba.
Updates when I return

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUB IT IN DAVE, just RUB it in....... have fun bud and talk to you on your return.

Cheers, Todd

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back