Lionfish Invasion

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commercial fishing isn't feasible, Tyler. Lions would have to be individually caught and that would never provide a living for the fisherman. Even if you can turn a big profit for the lions, they would have to really look into how this would impact fishing of other native species. Everything somehow affects another. My family are fisherman and I've been involved in every step, up until it was sold at the wharf. Fish die nasty deaths, no matter what the mode may be. Cod was our staple and when those big ole nets were pulled in, the fish on the bottom would have their eyes popped out from the pressure of their mates above them. Not all fall out of the netting and would wrap around these wheels.... I won't go on. It's a dirty business, but someone's gotta do it.

I do see your point very plain, however, as this is a website about pets. Conversations do tend to be unbalanced about lions and people get all riled up and angry and forget that. I'm not sure why people are lashing out at anyone who whispers the word lionfish. As educated hobbyists, we have to make sure we're engaged in educated booing. Right now there are CRAZY comments out there. And when corrected, they STILL don't believe it. Some of these fish are 20 years old, if you didn't feel something for them, there's something wrong with you. LOL! They have more personality and girth, than a Chihuahua. It's natural to be bothered by the conversation too, it can be quite distasteful.

Side not: Feral cats are a HUGE problem here too, but most people don't know anything about it. Hypocrisy at it's finest? You betcha. Imagine if we were to ban house cats in every state the ferals were present. People would go snakey and start screaming foul.

I assume it isn't feasible because they are a reef dwelling fish, not an ocean fish? So commercial fishing would not only be unable to target just lions, but would also be far too dangerous. Or are there other reasons too?
Wow, I didn't realise commercial fishing was so.......gory.
People do have this prejudice against lions and I don't quite understand it. They're a beautiful fish full of personality. They're fish, not demon spawned babies from hell.
Hahahahahahaha I like that chihuahua comment :)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it isn't feasible because they are a reef dwelling fish, not an ocean fish? So commercial fishing would not only be unable to target just lions, but would also be far too dangerous. Or are there other reasons too?
Wow, I didn't realise commercial fishing was so.......gory.
People do have this prejudice against lions and I don't quite understand it. They're a beautiful fish full of personality. They're fish, not demon spawned babies from hell.
Hahahahahahaha I like that chihuahua comment :)

Lions have to be individually caught, so it would be impossible to hook/spear/net the numbers needed to make a living. There are clusters of areas that have denser populations of lions, but they are still not in the numbers were you are guaranteed to see them, while spending the day on/in the ocean.

I had someone come up to me at the local marine show and try to crawl down my throat, because I had a lionfish on my shirt. "Lady, I didn't throw mine in the ocean, so you need to direct that elsewhere".

Talking about this issue, is one of the most important things we can right now. Discussing ways on reducing the numbers is monumental, but sharing methods of gutting a lion is not necessary. It does not add to the campaign. That's for a Angler site or a Cooking forum, not for a site focused on responsible fish keeping. Again, liken it to the feral cat issue. There are forums out there, all about the little fluff balls. Do you think it's appropriate to go and talk about "10 ways to skin a cat" on that site? It's not, so why is it seen as appropriate on fish keeping forums. The feral cat situation is WAAAAAAAAY worse than that of a lion. Yet, I've been in this hobby long enough to know, you can chip away at popular opinion, but it can be a real biatch to get people to come down off the bandwagon and see the full issue. We have to look the other way and remember the message is so very important.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do catch them when we go fishing in Florida every year. I guess they will be removed from the catch and release list :)

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This problem is much bigger than a cute lionfish (whom many would consider a part of the family) within the walls of a home aquarium. We're witnessing very real and serious declines in reef fish populations on coral reefs that are already in declined conditions due to other factors. I have no problem with lionfish in aquariums or in their native habitats (in fact, I quite like them), but to not look at Atlantic Pterios lionfish as a plague that needs dealt with seems short-sighted. And yes, I understand they wouldn't be invasive if it wasn't for our intervention, but we have the option to sit back and disparage the human race for another thing we've mucked up or do something to help remedy the situation.

I completely understand the sensibilities of some might not appreciate talk of culling and eating lionfish, but it's the nature of the current situation. Helping to inform folks that lionfish can be safely consumed and are quite good (they're comparable to grouper, hogfish, or even mahi mahi) is part of the bigger picture, which is decreasing their invasive populations. Some companies are working to position Atlantic lions as a seafood delicacy and they're popping up in seafood restaurants around the country. Increased demand is a good thing. If a restauranteur is willing to pay a supplier to source lionfish for them, specimens will continue to be removed from the wild.

Culling efforts (be it a derby days, seafood collection, or simply individuals doing their part) have been documented to make a positive impact. A study by Oregon State University indicates reducing lionfish populations between 75 and 95% in certain areas will allow native fish populations to rebound. I wrote more about that here: Lionfish Invasion: An Update on Successes

It's a war to save our reefs and I will continue to put Atlantic lions at the end of my spear. I don't expect everyone to do the same, but I implore all aquarists to consider the entire situation before deeming us the bad guys, as opposed to these invasive predators.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any educated person would look at the situation and be content doing nothing especially knowing that it's a problem created by man but I completely understand and support the statement that it's a sad state for the beautiful lionfish, who is unaware of any of this and is simply doing what nature intended him to do. He's an exceptional fish who in any other circumstances would be rejoiced for his majestic presence. It's unfortunate. I am overwhelmed as I ponder the solution... to me it feels like a match set to a field of dead brush and we are trying to put the fire out while armed with squirt guns... hopefully I'm wrong!

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was playing golf with my dad on a trip to Hilton Head south Carolina, in the proshop they had a saltwater tank where the fireplace was.
while we were waiting on our tee time I was telling out group about all the fish and corals (mostly fake and dead skeketons) and a few members were asking questions..
anyhow, after 9 holes its customary to go into the clubhouse, and grab a snack before you head back out...
-anyway, this big guy came up to me and said " hey, are you the fish guy...!" - I said yeas I run a fish store in Dallas..
he said " I caught one of your lionfish in my crabtraps"!!! without missing a beat I said " one of mine, realy..."
we talked about how they got loose in the canals during a hurricane a few years back...

I saw them diving in St Kitts Bahamas once, when I got back- I told a customer that I saw them there
he got mad/ called me a liar- and left...seriously - it didnt become widely known until 10 years ago now or so...

and they have been reported even in the cold waters of New York Harbour

but they dont seem to be making it west to Texas yet- Lousiana gators eat em up first...

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back