OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've loved following your thread! Hey, I would LOVE to know is this coral in the background a Yellow Scroll (turbinaria) or a type of Montipora?

I really dig it, and would love to add a similar coral to my tank!

Logzar-Turbinaria-Montipora.jpg

That is a huge scroll coral that I've had for 5 years now, it must have been at least 3-4 years old when I got it!

I run reef brights with my ATI PM 8 bulb..I always loved the blue that reefbrights give out... How have you like them so far?

I absolutely love them, right now I'm fighting that battle trying to figure out if I have too much light or too little light. I need to borrow a PAR meter to find out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2012 will be know as the year of the great fish exodus, where 95% of my newly purchased fish jumped out of this aquarium. Luckily all of my original fish never jumped, some of which I've had for 5 years now. I have a new fish order coming in today including:

9 Chalk Bass
2 Lyretail Anthias
1 Midas Blenny
1 Purple Firefish

These fish will be in QT for several weeks and then added to my existing stock:

1 Tomini Tang
1 Two-Barred Rabbitfish
2 Clownfish
1 Chalk Bass
1 Lyretail Anthias

The Chalk Bass is one of the neatest fish and I can't wait to have all 10 in there, I hope they do well.

I promised myself I would never add more fish until I had a top put on the aquarium, I used the BRS Kit and got put a top on my QT and Display tank. As it turns out these kits, aside from the netting, are identical to the Home Depot stuff. It should be noted that the spline that comes with the Home Depot frames will not work with the netting that BRS provides! So, if you want to do this project, buy netting and spline and the roller from BRS then just get the framing at the Hardware Store. I got mine from my local Ace Hardware.

I am extremely happy how this turned out.

Here is the netting on the aquarium, ended up looking way better than I expected it too. This perfectly seals up the top with no gaps, so no fish should be able to jump out. I would like to credit Mnat for the recessed screen idea.

IMG_0602.JPG

I liked it so much I did the same thing to my QT system. Due to all the cords coming out and the ATO senors and HOB filter I had to cut back the size of the frame. To cover the gaps I didn't fully trim the netting from the spline, leaving an overhang allowing me to protect those areas as well.

IMG_0600.JPG

I recently added a Harlequin Shrimp to destroy the nasty little starfish in my reef that seem to have a tasted for my acropora. Assuming they are the cause, I hope to add more acro frags in the very near future. If this does not solve my continual STN problem I'm not sure what I'll do.

The other culprit could be Gelidium algae which could be irritating the acropora. I plan on treating with elevated Tech M and H202 dosing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish arrived safely and are doing well in QT.

In other news I posted my picture for the BRS contest this week. It's the Blue Tort 5 year progression picture about the 5th row down, I only need a few more votes to win! Please vote for mine if you have a moment, I think you might have to "like" their page in order to vote. I need to order a ton of stuff from there...

https://www.facebook.com/BulkReefSupply/app_249642561847467

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost at the 2 week mark and all 13 fish are doing great and fattening up for the display. I'm hoping the 9 new chalk bass play nice with the 1 that I already have. In my 40 br QT tank they swim in one big group, hopefully they do this in the display!

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screen top on the main display has worked out better than I could have expected. No jumpers! All 13 fish added and doing well with the existing tank-mates. The group of chalk bass are amazingly active, feeding time is just insane. I'll have to post a video.

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screen top on the main display has worked out better than I could have expected. No jumpers! All 13 fish added and doing well with the existing tank-mates. The group of chalk bass are amazingly active, feeding time is just insane. I'll have to post a video.

Glad to hear it!

visuvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man gorgeous tank. Can you please tell me the thickness of the glass used for your tank? I'm trying to get a quote for a 48x30x24 starfire rimless and I'm being told I can't go 24" high unless I upgrade to 5/8" thickness glass which increases the price dramatically. The highest they will go with 1/2" glass is 20". I'm wondering how accurate that is.

FantasyCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were you able to make the top netting recessed? I would like to do that. I don't like the look of the netting on top of a rimless tank, but the way you did it looks perfect! =D

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful set up
I like the tank size.
I'm looking at going with a 48x30x30

Thank you! The 30" front to back is a must, I'm extremely happy with the dimensions. A 48x30x30 will be really cool! That extra height could allow for some really interesting rock pillars/towers.

Hey man gorgeous tank. Can you please tell me the thickness of the glass used for your tank? I'm trying to get a quote for a 48x30x24 starfire rimless and I'm being told I can't go 24" high unless I upgrade to 5/8" thickness glass which increases the price dramatically. The highest they will go with 1/2" glass is 20". I'm wondering how accurate that is.

The front and sides are 3/4" starphire, the back is 5/8" and the bottom is 1/2" regular glass. Prices have gone up dramatically since I had this tank built! At least by 30-40%. To be honest, 3/4" is almost too thick, it takes awhile getting accustomed to the distortion. I definitely would not be comfortable with 1/2" on a tank this dimension. I think the tank builder it taking adequate precaution in recommending 5/8". I personally don't think 20" is high enough, in my opinion shallow reefs can be very limiting in some ways.

How were you able to make the top netting recessed? I would like to do that. I don't like the look of the netting on top of a rimless tank, but the way you did it looks perfect! =D

I got this idea from another tank build here on R2R. You simply purchased one of the Bulk Reef Supply top netting kits, then you just cut it to fit inside the rimless tank rather than sitting onto. I cut tiny squares out of an old plastic CD case and super-glued them to the corners of the netting, the plastic squares hang onto the glass and keep the screen from falling in. It turned out perfect and no more carpet surfing!

Great pics but how about some more FTS's???

I need to clean up all the coraline and take some pics!

Following here.

Can you tell us about your equipment? I want to know how you're keeping such awesome corals!

Right now I run a 7 bulb T5 fixture with two Reefbrite XHO's. I actually turned off two of my T5 bulbs and lowered my lighting cycle to about 7 hours. Coral growth and color has improved. I run an older Octopus 200 with a BB3000 pump. Flow is an MP60 at about 80% and a Tunze 6095.

I dose two-part from Bulk Reef Supply via Litermeter pumps.

I think that's about it. Thanks for the complements!

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've really been slacking on taking pictures. A few of my SPS are looking really awesome right now. I finally achieved the intense green base on my German Blue Polyp Acro. Not sure what did that but I think it was probably reducing my lighting time. I'll have to provide a full schedule.

I had a huge spike in my PO4 due to a phyto dosing binge. I think some of the fertilizer was not yet consumed by the phyto. It had spiked to 0.71 via my hanna meter and all coraline grow stopped. I added about 100mL of GFO and within 24 hours it was down to .43. After that it didnt drop. Thus in 24 hours the GFO was fully exhausted. Pretty crazy how fast that stuff works. No wonder people get mass RTN and pale corals when they run that stuff weekly!

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with GFO is that it takes longer then that to work, not sure if yours is fully exhausted, no harm in leaving it in for another week and see if it drops so more. We would love to see some pics when you get the time.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is desperate for an update... :D

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple frags I picked up at our local frag show this weekend. The ones on the bottom right have a neat pattern, similar pattern to "black hole sun" acans.

IMG_1877_1.jpg

What is this one below:

DSC_0801_1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I always seem to find a few nice acans at local swaps for great prices. I positively ID'd the pink polyp coral, it is cyphastrea. I've never seen one with bright magenta polyps.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet!

Back