Male or female?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help determining whether or not this Red Finned Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis) is a male or female.

I got as many pics as I could, but it's a wrasse. It moves. Fast. So several came out blurry even though it looked fine as I snapped the phone. These are the best ones I had.
20200619_111821.jpg

20200619_111827.jpg

20200619_112049.jpg

I will try again later this evening once I am back home. It's my day off, and my brother has his kid (21 months old) for the weekend, so heck yeah I am spending all my free time spoiling the little poop monster!!!

OP
OP
El_Guapo13

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a male
Cirrhilabrus_rubripinnis.jpg
Yeah, I wasn't sure as every other picture I see of a male of this species appear to have larger dorsal and pelvic fins. Thanks for the confirmation!!! Now if I could just find a female so I won't have to worry about this male losing it's color...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if I could just find a female so I won't have to worry about this male losing it's color...
It won't; don't do that:

OP
OP
El_Guapo13

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't; don't do that:
I see. I read your other thread "All about reef safe wrasses", but not this one. Thank you for the information.

While we are on the subject of this wrasse, I saw on the reef safe wrasses thread that you had saud this species "can sometimes be aggressive with other Cirrhilabrus wrasses". But how is Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis with other wrasse genera? Say for instance, having a Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis with a Paracheilinus, like a P. filamentosus or P. cyaneus (or any of the others for that matter)?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are on the subject of this wrasse, I saw on the reef safe wrasses thread that you had saud this species "can sometimes be aggressive with other Cirrhilabrus wrasses". But how is Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis with other wrasse genera? Say for instance, having a Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis with a Paracheilinus, like a P. filamentosus or P. cyaneus (or any of the others for that matter)?
You should be okay with other genera, but if the tank is 75 gallons or smaller, it might be bit aggressive towards Paracheilinus.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back