May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a non red sea tank seam break out of warranty

how did the manufacturer handle the issue?
(with a little pressure they agreed to get a new tank without charge)

*we can also watch for patterning: with that break example above, do IM-brand tanks start breaking at such a rate that at the end of 2024 we have 25 new work threads, each with 15-30 pages of examples?
Early on in one of the threads perhaps this one - I reported (and was widely criticized for doing so) - that I had talked to a couple maintenance companies locally - many of whom owned red-sea tanks. Their comments suggest strongly that rimless tanks have a higher failure rate in general, and that the percentage is similar across the brands they sell. I asked the companies because I owned 2 of the large tanks that were at risk. I believe that many of the work threads you're mentioning concerned Gen 1 tanks. I also think that it's possible that the IM tank you're talking about related to a stand issue - or a leveling issue, etc. But. I think the discussion and criticism is important - because I would make sure that If I had a gen 1 tank at risk that I would ask Redsea for the purported 'fix brace'

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't give Red Sea a pass. What I was trying to express was let's pretend a manufacturer makes 1,000,000 tanks and 1 % have seam problems (these are made up numbers of course). Another manufacturer makes 10,000 tanks and 1% have seam failures. They both have the same percent of problem seams, but many more people will be reporting the issues with the company that made 1,000,000 tanks. As I've said multiple times - the apparent number of failures in certain tanks is not acceptable.
What has other companies got to do with Redsea, it’s clear to me Redsea has design problems.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What has other companies got to do with Redsea, it’s clear to me Redsea has design problems.
Brandon brought up an IM tank that had a similar problem (I don't know if you missed that post) I can't disagree with your comment - since Redsea itself seemed to admit it had a design problem - and a fix for that at least a couple years ago. So - IMHO - you're talking ancient history.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I can fault a company for not quickly offering up replacements out of warranty. It can only be justified if a certain production lot is known to be in error and nobody agrees on that threshold

But forum thread patterning is powerful

Soon we will reach the threshold of enough breaks on file where everyone agrees the g1 production lot is bad

Will red sea see it that way? Will they do any moves to square up buyers of that lot?

Was any of that g1 production lot sold as winning fare in forum bot ads to winners in 2015?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think I can fault a company for not quickly offering up replacements out of warranty. It can only be justified if a certain production lot is known to be in error and nobody agrees on that threshold

But forum thread patterning is powerful

Soon we will reach the threshold of enough breaks on file where everyone agrees the g1 production lot is bad

Will red sea see it that way? Will they do any moves to square up buyers of that lot?

Was any of that g1 production lot sold as winning fare in forum bot ads to winners in 2015?
Don't know the answer to your last question. Curious - how many of the RedSea failures are out of warranty - OR - used tanks (I also don't know that), how many RedSea stands were improperly set up (or IM) - or marineland? IDK that either. Where does one take into account the percent failure (what independent research have you done to confirm what the percent is - and the definition of a 'lot is bad'. I have done a fair amount of due diligence - and have stated that IF what I was told is true, the failure rate of Gen one tanks is more than tolerable. BUT - that coverage in any case should not extend past the warranty period - since thats the whole definition of warranty duration?

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon brought up an IM tank that had a similar problem (I don't know if you missed that post) I can't disagree with your comment - since Redsea itself seemed to admit it had a design problem - and a fix for that at least a couple years ago. So - IMHO - you're talking ancient hist
How Anchient, I have two Redsea tanks and IMHO they are very poorly designed. The 6 foot tank at my local fish shop was put together late last year, it already has signs of seam separation.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How Anchient, I have two Redsea tanks and IMHO they are very poorly designed. The 6 foot tank at my local fish shop was put together late last year, it already has signs of seam separation.
If a six foot tank has a sign of seam separation - why on earth would they leave it up? That seems like a very very poor business decision - since they could easily get a replacement from RedSea or another Aquarium vendor? Why did you personally buy 2 very poorly designed tanks? I mean - I'm just curious - not criticizing you. Literally every LFS in our area has RedSea tanks set up as their display tank. And has for some time.

aras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add another ticking water bomb... Side of a Reefer 350. 8 years old. Noticed a small bubble about six months ago, and now this! Looking a for a new tank while this one is surrounded by leak detectors...
2024-04-22 12-04-58.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh you need to drain that now. Leak sensors won’t give you time if the whole panel gives out

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add another ticking water bomb... Side of a Reefer 350. 8 years old. Noticed a small bubble about six months ago, and now this! Looking a for a new tank while this one is surrounded by leak detectors...
2024-04-22 12-04-58.jpg
This looks like a potential imminent failure to me. I would be transferring livestock immediately if it were in my home.

aras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer to where? Bunch of buckets and watch everything die? Unfortunately got no spare tanks lying around. Leak sensors will help if it starts with a small leak. If the panel goes, it goes, new laminated flooring then, bad, but not the end of the world. Was thinking about ratchet strap, but afraid more pressure in a wrong place may make things worse... Still, hopefully, it will hold until the end of the week when I should to have a new tank ready.

After seeing how many people had these failures, I'm really reluctant to give Red Sea any more of my money even if they fixed the issue with G2+. Anyone had any good/bad experience with Aqua One Reefsys 326?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after 21 pages...

Can we definitively say that these problems were with the G1...

And not the G2...?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back