May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm noticing an uptick in posts about seam breaks can we get input on the matter pls/ prevention or assistance details

There are enough breaks logged, not acknowledged much other than web forums. Buyers have honed down a concern over a certain production lot so as to warn one another about the buy

They seem to center around 2-3 year old models based on themes in searchable recent threads, is there any type of tank padding or after market bracing needed? Is there any benefit in disassembling the reef portion in order to gain access to seals that are currently in good condition, to preemptively reinforce them/ add extra layer of seam support?

Last edited:

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beating a dead horse wtf GIF

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anytime I see this:

1682438165397.png

I know there could be trolling

1682438198927.png

heres why our thread exists

trolls want to hide the truth

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't like this meme - BUT - IMHO - the best way to keep the topic 'out there' is one thread not several, Right? Currently, there are 4+ threads discussing the same issue - some have been started by the same person.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what actions can owners of non-split tanks take right now, to shore up any risks, if any = key detail I think readers want to know. it's tricky because applying things on top of the factory build seam isn't usually the advised mode, but what's the status quo looking like if no action is taken

if we can simply be allowed to collate shared experience that will help determine validity of the matter

Last edited:

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all due respect, I own a 200xl, which is around two years old now, no issues, I have heard that it only happens on the larger ones. However, you really are starting to beat a dead horse, this is one of many broken seam RS post I have seen. I get that RS doesn't have any control here, and that the people need to know, but one simple search on google can solve this, and if you are not willing to research the tank you are buying, then you should not be reefing.

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all due respect, I own a 200xl, which is around two years old now, no issues, I have heard that it only happens on the larger ones. However, you really are starting to beat a dead horse, this is one of many broken seam RS post I have seen. I get that RS doesn't have any control here, and that the people need to know, but one simple search on google can solve this, and if you are not willing to research the tank you are buying, then you should not be reefing.
I forgot to add this in, but I send my condolences to anyone who has experienced this, because I know it is very costly

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what actions can owners of non-split tanks take right now, to shore up any risks, if any = key detail I think readers want to know. it's tricky because applying things on top of the factory build seam isn't usually the advised mode, but what's the status quo looking like if no action is taken

if we can simply be allowed to collate shared experience that will help determine validity of the matter
People that own 'non-split tanks' - which probably is 99 percent of RedSea tank owners (Yes - thats a guess) should call RedSea and ask them what mitigating things can be done. I know, the company has a vested interest in saying 'there is no problem' - but they also have a vested interest in continuing in business.

One answer to your question, though is to make sure you have the proper bracing installed for your particular model of tank (they were provided for free to all original owners of certain tank models that were registered in their system).

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those seemed like two mutually exclusive posts in a row I just read

if you think the matter shouldn't be discussed that's a nice way to write it, well said.

one reason I posted here, from a different perspective of unnecessary rehashing, was because I was amazed RS had a forum we could post about the matter in

hundreds of facebook posters who don't know that there's such a forum might have a very different take than yours, but that was well-written either way. a valid point.

One thing I did differently and in favor of red sea was not link a single recent example from this week or last, merely asking about remediation options/prevention steps advised if any. interested parties can search out their own examples

so far, as I read it, this crowd advises: it's a non issue, take zero action, give zero concern. I'm directly getting that input from your post. it's fair to note the owners of the split tanks did NOT feel that way, they literally weren't passive in the matter. but I can see how working tank owners would feel slighted, or annoyed at the mention of seam split trends if any

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you think the matter shouldn't be discussed that's a nice way to write it, well said.

one reason I posted here, from a different perspective of unnecessary rehashing, was because I was amazed RS had a forum we could post about the matter in

hundreds of facebook posters who don't know that there's such a forum might have a very different take than yours, but that was well-written either way. a valid point.

One thing I did differently and in favor of red sea was not link a single recent example from this week or last, merely asking about remediation options/prevention steps advised if any. interested parties can search out their own examples

so far, as I read it, this crowd advises: it's a non issue, take zero action, give zero concern. I'm directly getting that input from your post. it's fair to note the owners of the split tanks did NOT feel that way, they literally weren't passive in the matter. but I can see how working tank owners would feel slighted, or annoyed at the mention of seam split trends if any
I didn't see anyone say 'the matter should not be discussed', Nor did anyone say - it's a non-issue, take zero action, give zero concern.' At least in my post - I recommended doing what seems like common sense - call RedSea with your concerns. Get a paper trail with their customer support with their answers - then if/when you (God forbid) have a problem - you have some evidence that you asked their recommendations.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good logged attempt to try though to try and contact them

could be useful at a later date, the attempt to reach. asking reasonable questions/help/intercept and seam split prevention options

I rate a company's willingness to engage overall in product questions and feedback very crucial in the assessment of quality process.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just being the jackhole that I am, how about an in-depth tutorial on buying, moving, and setting up fragile used tanks as almost every comment in these threads asks if the tank was used then blames the failures on that alone. A lengthy how to use a glass scraper as that’s often thrown out as a problem. A how to level a tank stand for dummies pictorial as for some reason no one can level this particular manufactures stand but all others must be magically self leveling as they don’t have issues. Maybe a series on how powerheads these days are so insanely powerful that they force the panels to bow and split seams as this is another issue frequently brought up as a factor. Oh and the made up numbers…it's hard to believe that any tank manufacturer has sold more tanks than McDonald’s has sold burgers and that only 0.000001% have failed and that 99% of those failures were used tanks on an out of plumb stand running super magnum turbo powerheads and running the glass scraper into the seam! Really I’m just being a jerk but there sure does seem to be a lot of blame put on the tank owners in this forum. I feel sorry for anyone who has a tank failure regardless of brand, if it’s new or used, leveled, braced, or aliens blasted the seam from outer space.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back