Would you be concerned with these bubbles on the seam? Red Sea Reefer 350.

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I own a Red Sea Reefer 350, but looking for input on all owners of tanks with knowledge or experience on this. I've owned my tank for 6 years now and the top front right seam at some point years ago formed this bubbling that I've been closely monitoring. I feel like it's changed a bit, not so much gotten bigger, but slightly changed shape. If you press on it hard enough you can see the bubble changing form in there. What has piqued my concern is that the top left has now formed a bubble as well in the past week or so. The tank is level on hardwood floor. I will contact Red Sea about this although I don't expect much help since I'm out of warranty and since it's been out of warranty their demeanor changed drastically when I contact them with questions/concerns. I'd like to hear from fellow hobbyists first.

Thanks!

This first photo is the one that's been around for years (sorry about both photos' orientation)
tempImageXdF28v.png

And this is the new one.
tempImage715kl5.png

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very concerned. Most RS fails have been the bottom center of the front panel, but there have some failures on that upper right side seam as well, iirc.

OP
OP
FiveGallonSea

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Red Sea yesterday and I was told to "immediately drain the tank and remove the livestock" and they will review the case on Monday (because of course every urgent matter happens on a Friday, right). They also asked me to provide them with specific photos. It was an "after hours response" I assume to make sure they can rid themselves of liability immediately. I will be posting my journey now with Red Sea to keep everyone apprised as to how they will handle yet another G1 tank failure. I don't expect much. Ideally, I would like a display tank replacement. Of course this all happens one week before Reefapalooza which I will no longer be attending. If Red Sea doesn't give me a solid fix, I will go nano and keep some of my favorite small fish and a few anemones and take a break for a while.

Very disheartening. I poured blood, sweat, and tears into this. The tank and stand are immaculate too.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing, a replacement, even free of charge, does not really make you whole after hours of labor, stress, and potential heartache/loss of life.

That is the thing for me. When my Red Sea split, other than the cost of a new tank and my time (weeks worth), there was an issue of fish that were fine for many years that got ich immediately after, we lost a mature yellow tang and other fish during the incident. There are so many hidden cost that Red Sea does not recognize, all because they cheaped out. You know what is not cheap? There tanks are not cheap, anything but.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are experiencing this... The fact is Red Sea failures are well documented. I'm replacing mine before it's a problem. Don't know what happened to this company, but many years ago Red Sea was a sought after and respected product. Now... Too many failures, issues with their plumbing, on and on. Personally I will never buy any Red Sea product ever again.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to keep it, get a battery powered leak sensor and put behind the stand. I am using Zircon but I am sure there are other brands.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to keep it, get a battery powered leak sensor and put behind the stand. I am using Zircon but I am sure there are other brands.
Great for a slow drip or leak, but it seems like a lot of examples I've seen have been bottom seal blowouts, where you lose the entire tank within a few minutes. Still good to have around any aquarium (and also some other places in the house).

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great for a slow drip or leak, but it seems like a lot of examples I've seen have been bottom seal blowouts, where you lose the entire tank within a few minutes. Still good to have around any aquarium (and also some other places in the house).

That is why I bought two. My leak was slow thank god. I even put them on my upper floor behind the toilet, I already had that happen and ended up having to paint a ceiling. I mean if you had a full blow out I think the alarm would at least go off for quite a while, I mean with a full blow out you are already in horrible territory.

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after checking my 425 (just shy of 2 years old) I messaged Amanda with pics and everything else she asked for. She says it's not seam failure but to keep an eye on it and let them know if it gets worse. I replied I know this is a widespread problem and I'm not waiting for worse to happen. Also told her I would be happy to pay for shipping on the upgraded tank. Am I wrong on this?
IMG_8112.jpg

OP
OP
FiveGallonSea

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

Well, it's been a LONG month. I reluctantly decided to replace my tank with the RSR 350 G2 after contacting Red Sea and getting a discounted price of about $700 off a new tank. I couldn't live with the thought of these seams bursting and ruining my house and killing my fish. Amanda at Red Sea was a pleasure to deal with but they certainly lost a lot of respect from me with the way they handled this issue. Breaking apart the system I meticulously put together over seven years and restarting has costed me every single day off for one month. I spent so much more too in miscellaneous costs you don't think of during this process.

I just about wrapped up the full transfer yesterday with the exception of installing my reactor. I truly do not care for this new sump in any way. I miss my old system and would have had it forever if it wasn't for this seam failure drama. The new tank is certainly fortified and so is the cabinetry. They absolutely knew they messed up. I appreciate shaving off several hundred on a 7 year old tank well outside warranty to replace it, but the mental toll it has taken has been ridiculous.

Things happen and I understand no company is perfect. I have yet to have a bad experience with their customer support and that is why I decided to stay with them. The warranty is longer now too with an option of a two year extension for $70 for 5 total years. My tank came with the tiniest of blemishes on one door and they didn't even question me and I had a new door within a week. I would never do this again and next time I break down my tank I will be leaving the hobby and NOT swapping for another tank.

Take my story for what it is.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking apart the system I meticulously put together over seven years and restarting has costed me every single day off for one month. I spent so much more too in miscellaneous costs you don't think of during this process.

This is what I have stated here for months and it seems to fall on deaf ears. I lost 24 hours of leave over this and 5k, and two fish that I honestly cannot put a price on, they were family.

And to top it off, my sand bed was disturbed, the rock was out of water for a little longer than I wanted and both of these things caused another cycle which made me loose a few pieces of old coral. Months after this changeover my tank is just now started to look a little bit like it's old self but I estimate 6 months to get back where it was.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back