Does this mean the seam is failing?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started about a month ago (that I can remember), it’s the bottom seam on my Red Sea Reefer 300 XL version 1, about 3 years old.

CC334E9B-1C84-4BC3-ACBE-F17D35905DAA.jpeg C35EF1C9-94BF-47DD-BA82-B368E67D55E1.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is time to skip cycle your tank to another system, before it breaks, which is any day now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had only made that forecast off the myriad breaks on file for that production lot of tanks, it really is an impending break issue for sure, very elevated.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done such a thing myself, but a video shows a similar issue where they patch it by gluing slabs of glass in the place where the seam is failing. Not sure if you should do this, just sharing

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would be very concerned. red sea tanks have had a lot of seam issues(and its usually the bottom seams). i wouldn't completely shut down, but at least try and see if the LFS or a local hobbyist can help with rehoming things until you can reseal the tank? personally. i would at least try to reseal and even eurobrace it. but it depends how much you're inclined to want to do that.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done such a thing myself, but a video shows a similar issue where they patch it by gluing slabs of glass in the place where the seam is failing. Not sure if you should do this, just sharing

We had a 300g dd we had to do that to at the lfs. Basically euro braced the entire bottom of the tank. the seam was failing in the same location. I believe those tanks fail partially from the stand design but i'm not 100% sure on that. It is an option for sure.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was purchased in Dec 2021 so I think it’s still under warranty. If I have time I’d like to just get a replacement and do a switch when it gets here. But I’m not sure how long that takes.

and yes, the stand seems odd in that the whole footprint of the tank doesn’t fit on the stand without unsupported overhang…..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First there are very few issues of Redsea tanks of that size having a problem, but your seam certainly does look 'odd'. Second - I would contact RedSea before you do anything - they are usually quite prompt in responding - UNLESS there has been significant worsening (which it sounds like there has been 'some'). However, if it were me, I would not empty the tank until I showed the pictures and talked to RedSea. If there is any delay in getting them (i.e. today or tomorrow) - I would prepare to move your livestock (and I would prepare anyway - i.e. have water, another container, etc etc available (i.e. purchased)). In the end - the likelihood is you are going to need a new tank - and hopefully they will replace it. Certainly if there is ANY evidence of sudden change in the way it looks - at least you will be prepared to move things and drain the tank.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take some better pictures (without the glare) and send them to Red Sea support asking for a warranty replacement. Then, see what they come back with. It is hard to tell with these two pictures how bad the seam actually is.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a claim. Hopefully they act quickly but I have a contingency plan in place with my LFS for room and board until it gets sorted. Hopefully I won’t have to use it.

Attachments

• 28C6C178-BC5B-422C-ACF5-AD0F4B87E3C0.jpeg
    28C6C178-BC5B-422C-ACF5-AD0F4B87E3C0.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 242

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started a claim. Hopefully they act quickly but I have a contingency plan in place with my LFS for room and board until it gets sorted. Hopefully I won’t have to use it.
Perfect. They USUALLY get back the same day especially with this issue. I don't know if you saw this on their website but it states: "For urgent assistance, please contact your local Red Sea Dealer directly." - I would consider this an urgent issue!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point why are we still buying Red Sea? Even after their fix these tanks have a suspicious fail rate.
RedSea does not have a suspicious fail rate with the new models or the retrofitted G1 models. I was just looking at a video on YouTube of a tank leaking and the owner not really knowing what to do - and it was not RedSea. All tanks have issues - the issues with the G1 Redsea Reefers IMHO was inexcusable - but even those failures were an extremely small percent. BTW - this is a bit off topic, but I called my insurance agent because I have a G1 210 gallon tank upstairs and I asked him to do some research about what the coverage was, etc - and if he could ask the company if any specific brands command a higher insurance premium. The answer was that RedSea had no more or less claims for water issues than other brands. Of course this is not scientific, and many people do not go through their insurance. However, I guarantee you, if my tank broke, 200 gallons goes a long way LOL

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone knows if we have a North American product comparable to Selleys that’s reef safe that I can use to repair this issue before it gets worse until the warranty stuff is done. I can’t imagine normal sealant can be used…

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering if anyone knows if we have a North American product comparable to Selleys that’s reef safe that I can use to repair this issue before it gets worse until the warranty stuff is done. I can’t imagine normal sealant can be used…
That is a question for RedSea. if you try to fix it - you may void your warranty. either way - they will tell you the safest way to go. I would try that last link I sent you and call in person if you can

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. Waiting a half hour until the dealer opens up.
Ps - above when I said:
Certainly if there is ANY evidence of sudden change in the way it looks - at least you will be prepared to move things and drain the tank.
I mean ANY if there is ANY change in the way it looks I would make other arrangements unless RedSea says something different. Please let us know what they say

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back