Does this mean the seam is failing?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank. Unless you have some expertise that would justify the cost, risk, etc

Disagree I would never replace the silicone on that tank. Unless you have some expertise that would justify the cost, risk, etc
True but today it's not that hard to get the panels apart of you have a multi tool

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told him it was not an emergency because he posted his picture today vs. last week- That's it. I didn't it wasn't a problem, I didn't tell him to do nothing. He is in his house I am not - based on those pictures - I would demand a contact from RedSea. If he can't get one. I would drain the tank and move the livestock. I'm not sure where you think I'm a cheerleader for the OP or RedSea. I will not share my experience with my LFS and RedSea here - but both were positive. And I think every LFS has been advised by Redsea which tanks are at risk (more at risk) than others.
You lost me - I was not talking about any of that.

My comment was a response to your "this seems incorrect".

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you plan to keep it as is for a few days I suggest getting a rachet strap like this to help relieve the pressure
Screenshot_20240123_010004_Amazon Shopping.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t sleep last night. I tossed and turned and there was nothing to watch, so I could only wonder: Did the OP have a floor flood when I was trying to sleep?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ziggy
You don't have to recycle

My offer was to skip cycle transfer your stuff, not re cycle

Why choose to make it cycle vs skip the cycle?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can move your stuff into a tote setup temporarily, then skip cycle it into a real tank next. If you needed to do fifteen skip cycles we can.

Moving rocks into a new tank never ever causes a cycle and will carry all your animals just fine

Cycles come from moving old sand, we wouldn't do that.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea emailed me. Asking for a couple more particular pics. Likely to ensure the photo of the tank is current and on a Red Sea stand to avoid a scam for a free tank.

The Red Sea rep said to keep an eye on the bubble, if it gets larger empty the tank.

stay tuned.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick up a 100g rubbermaid for $100 from tractor supply. It will hold your stuff while you figure it out. They will work indefinitely too so if you dont mine top down its a cheap tank lol.
This is an option I’m pondering. The largest tote I can buy near me is 40 gallons, and seeing as it wouldn’t be full to the top, likely 35 gallons. With the bio load from my livestock, that’s a lot of ammonia for the fish to deal with Having little to nothing to convert it to nitrateS

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea telling you to delay is the second funniest thing Ive ever heard. there is no prudent delay, you don't take a cue from another person on whether or not your home should be sopped by their product

it needed moved into a tote two days ago. you're in an emergency, but by all means delay more :) --- I collect those outcomes in several red sea ruined my entire living room threads.

red sea telling you to 'watch' the seam split right in the place it's split for hundreds of people is just amazing in my opinion. you're dealing with a really reliable source there. honorable, trustworthy folks.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you move some of your rock into each tote, you should have enough biofiltration to deal with the amonia. You'd just need flow and heat in each one.

Do you have a farm store nearby? They usually have rubber stock watering troughs that are relatively inexpensive (by reefing standards) and much larger than 40 gallons.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So how would I accomplish keeping the livestock alive in 40 gallon totes
Totes are no different than your tank. Its a container. Move all your livestock/rock/water. Heater, powerheads...

Best case scenario Red Sea warranties your tank and sends a replacement its still not getting to you for several weeks...North American distribution and then freight to you...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant if I tear it down and bring the livestock to the LFS to hold on to until the new tank arrives.
Keep your rock in a rubbermaid tub with a heater and powerhead, and lightly ghost feed a few days a week. You won’t lose your cycle if you do that.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an option I’m pondering. The largest tote I can buy near me is 40 gallons, and seeing as it wouldn’t be full to the top, likely 35 gallons. With the bio load from my livestock, that’s a lot of ammonia for the fish to deal with Having little to nothing to convert it to nitrateS
search stock tanks or farm stores near you. I tried and you are right I didnt find anything doesnt mean its not there.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea telling you to delay is the second funniest thing Ive ever heard. there is no prudent delay, you don't take a cue from another person on whether or not your home should be sopped by their product

it needed moved into a tote two days ago. you're in an emergency, but by all means delay more :) --- I collect those outcomes in several red sea ruined my entire living room threads.

red sea telling you to 'watch' the seam split right in the place it's split for hundreds of people is just amazing in my opinion. you're dealing with a really reliable source there. honorable, trustworthy folks.
Sorry I don’t have surplus time to read all the fail threads, but is “keep an eye on the bubble” something they tell everyone and it fails, or did they make a judgement call with mine based on the photos?
I ask you as you seem to be in the know with these. I’ve read a few of them but none say what RS advised..

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m going to grab a 75g tote from a farm supplier Right now.

im going to put the livestock and rock work in there. No sand. And then once everything is transferred, using my two returns, ill run water through my sump to keep filtration for the tote.
anything I should know prior to doing this, please comment. Dos and donya.

thanks all for the advice.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, I’m going to grab a 75g tote from a farm supplier Right now.

im going to put the livestock and rock work in there. No sand. And then once everything is transferred, using my two returns, ill run water through my sump to keep filtration for the tote.
anything I should know prior to doing this, please comment. Dos and donya.

thanks all for the advice.
Good idea, why risk it

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have a 75g stock tank in my possession now, it was $190 but better than a basement turned fish market…

Let me throw this out there. If I position the container right under the front pane, but keep the tank running, if a blow out happens, I have the tank capacity to hold the entire tank water and it will be captured. Even if the seam breaks and the leak is quite fast. The upsides are the tank can stay up and much less stress on the animals, and if the seam blows before the new one arrives, I mitigate the flooding scenario.
the downside would be if it happened in the middle of the night and the fish get trapped in a waterless tank. I can mitigate this by sleeping on the couch near the tank for a few days.

see photo.

if the seam bubble grows at all, then I will have no choice but to wholesale transfer into the 75 stock tank, but if it holds, I’m in a way better spot.

thoughts?

Attachments

• CCAD2990-9232-4697-ACBD-1E4E7280D19E.jpeg
    CCAD2990-9232-4697-ACBD-1E4E7280D19E.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 39

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back