Does this mean the seam is failing?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for the masses. I’ve read through the forums but Im Still vexed.

im going to put a patch on that spot like in the video, but I need an adhesive/sealant that I can apply wet that is reef safe, cures quick And that I can buy in Canada, but not have to order from Amazon.

suggestions?
Don't touch the tank as the manufacturer might claim the warranty is void. They might pick it up for your replacement. Not sure how RedSea handles this stuff. I have seen a few failures at local stores over the years. Seems like at least two stores in Kelowa stocked RedSea. Been a few years since I visited the area.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on videos I’ve seen, the water will simple fall out the bottom where the bubble is and not the whole pane coming off. Water will simply flow out at the path of least resistance. So once the seal is broken, the pressure will be relived and the water will be content flowing out where the broken seal is. that is my non expert opinion. Even if it’s not perfect, a few gallons on the floor is acceptable for me.
I have been working on a flood that spilled oil into the environment all week and catching up now on this threat issue.

What will the fish and coral look like trying to exit the tank into the tub when the cork pops? Will they slip through the gap or get stuck in it?

IMG_2185.jpeg

The area flooded and oiled was many surface acres (?) and the oil that was spilled from unsecured drums mostly went into the environment but there were small pockets (like the one inside the boot) that were found everywhere in places that made no sense.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on a flood that spilled oil into the environment all week and catching up now on this threat issue.

What will the fish and coral look like trying to exit the tank into the tub when the cork pops? Will they slip through the gap or get stuck in it?

IMG_2185.jpeg

The area flooded and oiled was many surface acres (?) and the oil that was spilled from unsecured drums mostly went into the environment but there were small pockets (like the one inside the boot) that were found everywhere in places that made no sense.
Oil thicker than water hydroplaned over the ground sloshing up then heavily falling down into the shoe.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't touch the tank as the manufacturer might claim the warranty is void. They might pick it up for your replacement. Not sure how RedSea handles this stuff. I have seen a few failures at local stores over the years. Seems like at least two stores in Kelowa stocked RedSea. Been a few years since I visited the area.
They make you sign and email them a statement advising that you will destroy the tank and not sell it or give it away. They make you cut up the SN sticker and send them a picture of that as well. So they definitely don’t take the old one back.
I ended up securing a funnel under the affected seam that goes back into the sump and a F clamp on the seam. It’s not clamped super tight, just tight enough to prevent a bulge from happening at that spot. That way the water will stay in the system and business as usual until the new one gets here. The black tub is mainly there to capture anything that may hit the floor.

that said, the seam bubble hasn’t changed since I started this thread , so I’m fairly confident it will hold until it’s time to switch them out.

5DDA28A0-AFD7-4E6B-86F4-847FB1BB5E77.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think he already got the return - or however they want it back - BUT - you're right I assumed they would not require the tank back. If they do - you could invalidate their warranty

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_2185.jpeg

Get what you mean

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make you sign and email them a statement advising that you will destroy the tank and not sell it or give it away. They make you cut up the SN sticker and send them a picture of that as well. So they definitely don’t take the old one back.
I ended up securing a funnel under the affected seam that goes back into the sump and a F clamp on the seam. It’s not clamped super tight, just tight enough to prevent a bulge from happening at that spot. That way the water will stay in the system and business as usual until the new one gets here. The black tub is mainly there to capture anything that may hit the floor.

that said, the seam bubble hasn’t changed since I started this thread , so I’m fairly confident it will hold until it’s time to switch them out.

5DDA28A0-AFD7-4E6B-86F4-847FB1BB5E77.jpeg
The clean rimless look...
Euro braced for the win

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind waiting for the tank to burst, potentially leading to a lot of fish injuries and deaths in the spilling, rather than moving them into the tub now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind waiting for the tank to burst, potentially leading to a lot of fish injuries and deaths in the spilling, rather than moving them into the tub now.
The logic (to me) - is 1) it hasn't changed for a month. 2) he has a mitigation plan for damage. 3). it is stressful to have fish etc moved - and he could easily lose multiple things. 4) There is a new tank coming. Now - I might do something differently here and there - but not sure its required as long as he is watching very carefully the seam

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever personally had a seam fail?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever personally had a seam fail?
I love this question and feel compelled to answer it.

No, I have not had a seam failure in my fish tank but I have had a seam failure in my trousers a few times and I think those experiences have changed my outlook on life.

Recently I had a dream about a seam failure in my pants. I was sitting on the floor and as I was trying to stand up a seam started to give way. As it ripped the separating threads popped and made a farting like sound that was causing me embarrassment. People in the room were wondering how badly the room might be affected and I said; “I didn’t pass gas, my pants are ripping” as I stood up again and the seam loudly “farted” again. I felt vindicated by my explanation and was laughing at the situation with other people in this dream. As dreams go it was a first time experience for me to be in this situation and as I was trying to get back to sleep I looked down at my knee and saw a body part was exposed and dangling from the tear. I wondered how I could be possibly hanging out so low but that’s how things are in dreams.

I wondered why I had such a strange and low hanging dream and when I read your question that dream came to mind.

I am not a big Richard guy and I don’t worry much about other people’s failing seams if they are not immediately concerned. We just had a drain pipe leak that took months to resolve and I wouldn’t wish a flood on anyone. Sometimes people don’t understand a situation and how others respond to a threat and I think that’s what makes for many interesting discussions on this board. Look, I just shared my dream with everyone.

I hope people don’t try and figure out what happened to me that I have this kind of dream but they might. Maybe I am that transparent to others ?

So that ends this nightmare hijack, and once again I was denied a chance to visit a website that had a live stream on the pending seam failure. It may never happen, may your seams never fail,

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this question and feel compelled to answer it.

No, I have not had a seam failure in my fish tank but I have had a seam failure in my trousers a few times and I think those experiences have changed my outlook on life.

Recently I had a dream about a seam failure in my pants. I was sitting on the floor and as I was trying to stand up a seam started to give way. As it ripped the separating threads popped and made a farting like sound that was causing me embarrassment. People in the room were wondering how badly the room might be affected and I said; “I didn’t pass gas, my pants are ripping” as I stood up again and the seam loudly “farted” again. I felt vindicated by my explanation and was laughing at the situation with other people in this dream. As dreams go it was a first time experience for me to be in this situation and as I was trying to get back to sleep I looked down at my knee and saw a body part was exposed and dangling from the tear. I wondered how I could be possibly hanging out so low but that’s how things are in dreams.

I wondered why I had such a strange and low hanging dream and when I read your question that dream came to mind.

I am not a big Richard guy and I don’t worry much about other people’s failing seams if they are not immediately concerned. We just had a drain pipe leak that took months to resolve and I wouldn’t wish a flood on anyone. Sometimes people don’t understand a situation and how others respond to a threat and I think that’s what makes for many interesting discussions on this board. Look, I just shared my dream with everyone.

I hope people don’t try and figure out what happened to me that I have this kind of dream but they might. Maybe I am that transparent to others ?

So that ends this nightmare hijack, and once again I was denied a chance to visit a website that had a live stream on the pending seam failure. It may never happen, may your seams never fail,
Would have been a nightmare if you then woke up to figure out you had a different kind of seal failure making those farting noises...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have been a nightmare if you then woke up to figure out you had a different kind of seal failure making those farting noises...
Exactly! You get an A+ in poetry interpretation and you can skip the final this semester. :cool:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, now I have a temp 75g lagoon style tank….

at least it’s plumbed into the sump so I still have filtration and aeration..

Man, that's perfect! You can relax now; you have the time to deal with Red Sea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back