Does this mean the seam is failing?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the chances that water from a leak will all land in the stock tank in such a way that you wouldn't regret that decision is quite unlikely.

I'm glad you were able to get the stock tank. Should make keeping your system going pretty straight forward.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have a 75g stock tank in my possession now, it was $190 but better than a basement turned fish market…

Let me throw this out there. If I position the container right under the front pane, but keep the tank running, if a blow out happens, I have the tank capacity to hold the entire tank water and it will be captured. Even if the seam breaks and the leak is quite fast. The upsides are the tank can stay up and much less stress on the animals, and if the seam blows before the new one arrives, I mitigate the flooding scenario.
the downside would be if it happened in the middle of the night and the fish get trapped in a waterless tank. I can mitigate this by sleeping on the couch near the tank for a few days.

see photo.

if the seam bubble grows at all, then I will have no choice but to wholesale transfer into the 75 stock tank, but if it holds, I’m in a way better spot.

thoughts?
It’s not a bad idea… maybe you can rig up a ato sensor switch or something to an alarm on your phone if the water level drops in the tank? Just thinking out loud here.. if you have an apex it would be simple.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a bad idea… maybe you can rig up a ato sensor switch or something to an alarm on your phone if the water level drops in the tank? Just thinking out loud here.. if you have an apex it would be simple.
I do have an apex, but it don’t have a water sensor.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my thoughts...
You're going to have to move all the livestock at least twice anyway when you get the replacement - out of the old tank to a temporary place, then over to the new tank once it's in place (assuming you're keeping the same location)...
Might as well move out of the old tank now and make the chance of catastrophic failure zero percent.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the chances that water from a leak will all land in the stock tank in such a way that you wouldn't regret that decision is quite unlikely.

I'm glad you were able to get the stock tank. Should make keeping your system going pretty straight forward.
based on videos I’ve seen, the water will simple fall out the bottom where the bubble is and not the whole pane coming off. Water will simply flow out at the path of least resistance. So once the seal is broken, the pressure will be relived and the water will be content flowing out where the broken seal is. that is my non expert opinion. Even if it’s not perfect, a few gallons on the floor is acceptable for me.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seem like this is needed anymore, but makes a great temp holding tank. 75g stock tank, trough.
1706035272410.png

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warranty was just approved and a new tank is being shipped today. That was under 24 hours response. Quite fast.
Any idea how long until you have it?
I'd worry about the tank springing a leak and you not being there at the time and it draining down below your rock level to fast. I'd move the stuff asap unless the tank is getting there this week. even then.....

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on videos I’ve seen, the water will simple fall out the bottom where the bubble is and not the whole pane coming off. Water will simply flow out at the path of least resistance. So once the seal is broken, the pressure will be relived and the water will be content flowing out where the broken seal is. that is my non expert opinion. Even if it’s not perfect, a few gallons on the floor is acceptable for me.
I'd like to be wrong on this one, and I haven't watched many leak videos. I would expect it to sort of dribble along the bottom of the tank and drip everywhere except for where you want it to go.

Hopefully you'll have the replacement soon, and it won't matter :)

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve requested an eta but no response yet. Again, with a 9 hour time change, i Might not hear back until tmr. I agree your point is a legit consideration. But moving the fish into the stock tank will also mean the fish are at risk of jumping as there is no top. Unfortunately, there is going to be risk in either direction.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to be wrong on this one, and I haven't watched many leak videos. I would expect it to sort of dribble along the bottom of the tank and drip everywhere except for where you want it to go.

Hopefully you'll have the replacement soon, and it won't matter :)
I hope not either. As we speak I’m trying to work out a viable DIY skirt that would allow the water to have an easy route to the tub if need be.

open to ideas.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve requested an eta but no response yet. Again, with a 9 hour time change, i Might not hear back until tmr. I agree your point is a legit consideration. But moving the fish into the stock tank will also mean the fish are at risk of jumping as there is no top. Unfortunately, there is going to be risk in either direction.
another trip to the farm store 1/4" bird netting. Isnt reefing fun...lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok. I have a 75g stock tank in my possession now, it was $190 but better than a basement turned fish market…

Let me throw this out there. If I position the container right under the front pane, but keep the tank running, if a blow out happens, I have the tank capacity to hold the entire tank water and it will be captured. Even if the seam breaks and the leak is quite fast. The upsides are the tank can stay up and much less stress on the animals, and if the seam blows before the new one arrives, I mitigate the flooding scenario.
the downside would be if it happened in the middle of the night and the fish get trapped in a waterless tank. I can mitigate this by sleeping on the couch near the tank for a few days.

see photo.

if the seam bubble grows at all, then I will have no choice but to wholesale transfer into the 75 stock tank, but if it holds, I’m in a way better spot.

thoughts?
For the short wait, I would keep an eye on it. I dont see it as a seam thats ready to give way

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You naively (I don't mean that as an insult at all) regularly put an awful lot of faith in everyone being as honest and transparent as you are. That (sadly) is just not the way the world works most of the time.

A store sells several brands. "Mondo Cool Manufacturer" is their flagship brand and "Mondo Cool Widget" sells like hotcakes. It is high end and high margin. They know that Mondo Cool has a lot of Mondo Widget failures, but alas, they have a contract and business is good and so are margins. Mondo Cool takes care of them too... when a Widget fails and a customer freaks out, Mondo Cool pushes the customer back to the retail store.

When you ask the store about Mondo Cool failures, it IS NOT in their interest to tell you that they fail. Instead they say "Yeah... we sell many brands, and they don't have a higher failure rate than any of the others". If they told you otherwise, they would be shooting themselves in the foot and trashing a brand that they sell. They are not being shady or dishonest per say, they are just doing business and playing loose with the answers to not hurt business.

Refreshing that you have so much faith in people. I wish I did :)
Well for example - in our area I think 4 or 5 LFS have these tanks set up and running in their stores. I know 2 owners that have 725's in their house. If they believed that they were a high risk, I doubt that they would do that? But - I've also said that some of the larger Gen 1 tanks had an issue, and IMHO RedSea has tried to rectify that.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for example - in our area I think 4 or 5 LFS have these tanks set up and running in their stores. I know 2 owners that have 725's in their house. If they believed that they were a high risk, I doubt that they would do that? But - I've also said that some of the larger Gen 1 tanks had an issue, and IMHO RedSea has tried to rectify that.
How many sold to how many fail. It could be we hear about it more because they sell more? Still, I wouldn't buy one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So how would I accomplish keeping the livestock alive in 40 gallon totes?
It really depends on the length of time the fish are going to be in there. I did it I think for a week when I upgraded my marineland tank to a 725. You may have to do more water changing. However, if your LFS is keeping your stuff for you, its the rock that's doing most of the filtration, etc - so if they keep your rock with your fish - you shouldn't have any problem. As someone else said - I would probably not re-use the sand. You can always add bottled bacteria and watch ammonia carefully when you put the fish into your new tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I don’t have surplus time to read all the fail threads, but is “keep an eye on the bubble” something they tell everyone and it fails, or did they make a judgement call with mine based on the photos?
I ask you as you seem to be in the know with these. I’ve read a few of them but none say what RS advised..
They have said to immediately empty the tank in at least one situation that I read some months ago

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I’m going to grab a 75g tote from a farm supplier Right now.

im going to put the livestock and rock work in there. No sand. And then once everything is transferred, using my two returns, ill run water through my sump to keep filtration for the tote.
anything I should know prior to doing this, please comment. Dos and donya.

thanks all for the advice.
That is what I did. By the way, I would pressure RedSea a little more about the length of time - since those tanks should be able to be shipped quite quickly - Does your LFS have any in stock?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back